Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 656 times
Been liked: 561 times

What is 'THE' Rat sound?

Post by TmcB »

AC's love loads of level and not much gain I've found.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: What is 'THE' Rat sound?

Post by Lostininverness »

[quote="MogwaiBoy"]'THE' Rat sound I would describe as...

Tight, crunchy gain in the lower ranges with a healthy midrange that gets looser as you wind it up and tops out at near heavy fuzz levels of compression and sustain. You can see why it's been used by such a huge diversity of bands and players because it's pretty flexible.quote]

That's about what I've found with the clone I have. I was more impressed with it that I thought I'd be!!

If you want you can borrow and try.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

There was a RAT on Trademe earlier this week, might still be there actually and it was going for $80. I didn't end up bidding on it because I remember reading somewhere the power supply isn't your normal 9v and it needs its' own adaptor?

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:There was a RAT on Trademe earlier this week, might still be there actually and it was going for $80. I didn't end up bidding on it because I remember reading somewhere the power supply isn't your normal 9v and it needs its' own adaptor?
Yep it's a smaller power input - like headphones jack size. Adapters can be found and even come included with a lot of dedicated powersupplies, but still...(WHY!?!?!?!)

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

MogwaiBoy wrote:Yep it's a smaller power input - like headphones jack size. Adapters can be found and even come included with a lot of dedicated powersupplies, but still...(WHY!?!?!?!)
Damn, that's a little annoying then. I couldn't be bothered hunting around for an adaptor that more than likely would be a stupid price, although the pedal still tempt me somewhat haha :cry:

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Don't let it put you off - they can be modded to accept normal power cables, plus there are plenty of Rat clones around with normal power jacks.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

yep, even DIY can be your friend, especially if you have an old enclosure from a pedal not needed you can chuck the new board it in.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

MogwaiBoy wrote:Don't let it put you off - they can be modded to accept normal power cables, plus there are plenty of Rat clones around with normal power jacks.
That's good to know, thanks for the heads up.

I was recently looking at picking up one of the DS8 'Mouse' pedals but the seller wasn't willing to open it up to see what resistor was in his particular one. There's a big difference between the 56k which a lot of them seem to have, and the 'correct 560 ohm which is needed in order to replicate the RAT. Without that a lot of the clones are apparently quite weak although it's likely a relatively easy mod.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

It's long, but this is a pretty great video for seeing what a rat sounds like, especially compared to a TS or Klon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XelqiDjSP18
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?