Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

OD Pedals - follow on...

Post by Bg »

Ok, you may (or may not) remember a recent thread asking for a recommendation on a good cheap od/boost. This was primarily for the 5E3 deluxe, but I have to say that the Marshall madman in me is much loving the little DJW amp I got at about the same time.

My camera isn't charged but... its the same size as a standard marshall headbox, only 1/3rd the width, a mini-me.

Tubes are one preamp and an EL34. the iron is full size! Vol and Tone. A feedback switch I think, it doesn't do much, and a moar button. This thing is gritty and marshally when wound up halfway, and that moar button pushes it into plexi territory easily.

So... long story short.

I took a punt on 4 flavours of od/boost from joyo. And slowie brought some round to try. Out of slowys, the best were the caitlenbread picoso, just a straight forward boost I believe, and the sd1 with the gain knocked back.

Spent a bit of time this arvo with my joyos and the amp, and the only one I'm not really digging is the 808 clone - but thats because its an 808 clone. Much prefer the cusack screamer in that regard, or the fuzziebro I had for awhile, should never have sold that one back to AR.

Of the other pedals, they are each very tasty in their way. The Ross compressor clone works well as a boost but obviously lets the feeling down. The sweet baby is very sweet, gain backed right off and it gives silky smooth response and makes me think of buttah.

The ultimate drive again is very useable, just bang on the nail for higher gain, even though the pedal gain knob is set at about 9pm and the level at 11pm. Slams the front end of that amp.

I'm sure I've said it before, and will again no doubt, but this amp will be staying with me till the end of time. Cleans are great, crunch is pure marshall, and when hit with a cheap 50 buck pedal, it takes that amp (350 bucks) into orgasmic territory.

Check out those pedals, at less than 50 bucks a pop, and all clones of pedals costing much more - well you couldn't build them at that price.

TL:DR; #eargasm
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: OD Pedals - follow on...

Post by Green Bastard »

Got the ultimate drive, really like it, end up using it more than some much more expensive od's.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

dibs

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Zaulkin wrote:dibs
on what? the amp?

noted
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Green Bastard wrote:Got the ultimate drive, really like it, end up using it more than some much more expensive od's.
yeah its an ocd clone apparently? but yeah its cool in the way that its completely non transparent with the gain up :D

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Bg wrote:
Zaulkin wrote:dibs
on what? the amp?

noted
yep :)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

ah dude you should come and spend an hour with it. I hadn't really tested much before the gearfest. I'd happily do medium size gigs with it. big ones mic'd. Its pure marshall crunched and great cleans too

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Bg wrote:ah dude you should come and spend an hour with it. I hadn't really tested much before the gearfest. I'd happily do medium size gigs with it. big ones mic'd. Its pure marshall crunched and great cleans too
Would love to come check it out in a couple of weeks actually, I missed it at the gearfest. Will PM ya.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah do, hit me up for a weekend afternoon and I'll banish the missus from the house. its got a host of potential through a 10" jensen to a 4x12 cab. Though I doubt it'll ever be for sale! Bogner will be before this!

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

i dropped a drawer on my sweet baby and broke the switch, missed it so much i bought another one.

red led clipping, sucky smd but smoooth.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

What's the other Joyo stuff like - phasers, trems etc? Anyone know?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I have a trem too, its as good as any trem I've owned.

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

joyo trem is 2 knob (no vol) and i found it boosted the level when on, but its got a trimpot for level inside so i was able to tweak it to no perceived volume change.

obviously a tremelo is nothing but volume change, so perception of effect off / effect on levels is personal, but pretty much every 2 knob trem seems to me like it makes the output a tad louder.

oh and re modulation ive got the 4 knob flanger and the phase90 clone. they do what i want them to but ive never a/b'd them with botique so no idea if theyre any good.

flanger - does a nice chorus, and makes cool wacky noises on extreme settings , phaser - with only 1 knob the interface is simple enough to change between songs. and theres a trimpot inside for intensity. (cant be fully wet or dry because then theres no phasing)
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

anyone tried the voodoo or ultimate octave?? the demos I have seen sounds a bit shit and I don't really like the idea of a fuzz knob...maybe a mooer is a better option??
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Bg wrote:Ok, you may (or may not) remember a recent thread asking for a recommendation on a good cheap od/boost. This was primarily for the 5E3 deluxe, but I have to say that the Marshall madman in me is much loving the little DJW amp I got at about the same time.

My camera isn't charged but... its the same size as a standard marshall headbox, only 1/3rd the width, a mini-me.

Tubes are one preamp and an EL34. the iron is full size! Vol and Tone. A feedback switch I think, it doesn't do much, and a moar button. This thing is gritty and marshally when wound up halfway, and that moar button pushes it into plexi territory easily.

So... long story short.

I took a punt on 4 flavours of od/boost from joyo. And slowie brought some round to try. Out of slowys, the best were the caitlenbread picoso, just a straight forward boost I believe, and the sd1 with the gain knocked back.

Spent a bit of time this arvo with my joyos and the amp, and the only one I'm not really digging is the 808 clone - but thats because its an 808 clone. Much prefer the cusack screamer in that regard, or the fuzziebro I had for awhile, should never have sold that one back to AR.

Of the other pedals, they are each very tasty in their way. The Ross compressor clone works well as a boost but obviously lets the feeling down. The sweet baby is very sweet, gain backed right off and it gives silky smooth response and makes me think of buttah.

The ultimate drive again is very useable, just bang on the nail for higher gain, even though the pedal gain knob is set at about 9pm and the level at 11pm. Slams the front end of that amp.

I'm sure I've said it before, and will again no doubt, but this amp will be staying with me till the end of time. Cleans are great, crunch is pure marshall, and when hit with a cheap 50 buck pedal, it takes that amp (350 bucks) into orgasmic territory.

Check out those pedals, at less than 50 bucks a pop, and all clones of pedals costing much more - well you couldn't build them at that price.

TL:DR; #eargasm
DJW? What type. I've a DJW combo. Nice amp