Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Legendary tones

Post by Jay »

Can't believe no one has mentioned Roy Buchanon
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jvpp wrote:Can't believe no one has mentioned Roy Buchanon
probably because no one has heard of him :?: ... now Roy Buchanan on the other hand

:P
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I'm haunted by the sound of a 4x Sovtek 5881 equipped Fender Twin, normal channel blazing... just wow. Thought it was a shitter at first.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

My 2c in terms of who I feel qualify for this list (in no particular order)...

SRV: The thickness, warmth and yet crystal-clear clarity
Freddie King: Punches you in the face!
Brian May: Enough said
Gary Moore: Amazing tone and sustain
Eric Johnson: Smooth and reminiscent of an electric violin (check out the track below by Vanessa Mae and oddly enough you might see/hear what I mean)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTZ2NXtD-AU[/youtube]

I'd argue there's a difference between identifiable and legendary. Bonamassa, Clapton and many others are identifiable but I wouldn't class their tones as legendary despite their status.

harveysj
Squier
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by harveysj »

I dont think you can beat derek trucks. Sg into cranked super reverb. Simple and effective

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

For me, tone is more about fingers and less about gear or a particular amp & pedal sound. The players I admire most of all are those who can make a single note sound as expressive as a whole melody: Jeff Beck, Dominic Miller, Steve Rothery, Derek Trucks, Eric Gale, Mark Knopfler, you can't copy these players by simply playing the same notes as they do, there's a lot more going on than that. They would all sound great even if they were playing a Samick through a 5 watt Spider amp.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

olegmcnoleg wrote:For me, tone is more about fingers and less about gear or a particular amp & pedal sound. The players I admire most of all are those who can make a single note sound as expressive as a whole melody: Jeff Beck, Dominic Miller, Steve Rothery, Derek Trucks, Eric Gale, Mark Knopfler, you can't copy these players by simply playing the same notes as they do, there's a lot more going on than that. They would all sound great even if they were playing a Samick through a 5 watt Spider amp.
Good post, Knopfler should be in there and ideally Rothery too. Funnily enough I've just finished listening to his 'Tracker' album, some really nice tracks on there. Such a beautiful clean tone, he's been recording a lot with the Tone King combo's lately and speaks pretty highly of them. If it wasn't for their price tag I'd probably check them out haha.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

olegmcnoleg wrote:For me, tone is more about fingers and less about gear or a particular amp & pedal sound. The players I admire most of all are those who can make a single note sound as expressive as a whole melody: Jeff Beck, Dominic Miller, Steve Rothery, Derek Trucks, Eric Gale, Mark Knopfler, you can't copy these players by simply playing the same notes as they do, there's a lot more going on than that. They would all sound great even if they were playing a Samick through a 5 watt Spider amp.
man you need to check out rig talk...then you would realise you can't get a legendary tone unless you have a suhr guitar and a diesel amp :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Absolutely, which is why everyone in the thread has been mentioning players, not rigs. Their rigs are an important component too, but that's as much to do with genre as anything.

I've got to say though, I think that saying "They would all sound great even if they were playing a Samick through a 5 watt Spider amp" may well be true, but it's irrelevant in this particular discussion, simply because they don't play through that rig and it's not what they're known for. I absolutely believe that a great player will make any rig sound good, but there's a reason that the choose to play the rigs that they do and it is an irrevocable component to their playing as we all know it.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

I think that it's kinda like someone who can make a killer curry to die for, but you can tell if they used coconut milk or Ingredient Du Jour, but it's still goddamn amazing curry. While the same ingredients in the hands of a yobbo is dog vomit.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol