TmcB wrote:Image

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Legendary tones

Post by Les_Paul86 »

hellblazer wrote:I get where this guy is coming from.
I listen to a lot of really sh*t music because I like the sound of the guitars too!

He just likes boring dad blues through tubescreamers, I personally prefer rehashed sabbath through fuzz pedals.
Have you read anything I've written.
Boring Dad blues tones? Do me a favour... I have 2 kramers and an Aersomith Tattoo FFS...
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

sirvill wrote:I'm confused now... I'm not sure I understand the difference between "tone" and "sound" :(
I'm confused also, but entertained. Was Johhny Ramone's tone shit, or legendary? Or who really gives a flying, because tone alone does not maketh a good song.

That said, has Eddie's brown sound been mentioned at all?

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

This was always going to turn into a subjective mess. We all pretty much agree on Brian May though so maybe just leave it there?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Les_Paul86 wrote:
benderissimo wrote:
The 'Easily achievable on a pre-set line 6 modulation box with a strat' part. Utter rubbish.

In fact your whole argument about tone vs sound is pretty silly too.

It could be valid about Jimmy Page in that most of his cool tones are as a result of experimenting with different recording techniques and mic positions ('Houses of the Holy' from Physical Graffiti being a prime example- mic behind an open-back cab).
Well alright... lets here a counter argument then? If you're gonna discount something, show us why?

If there's no difference in sound and tone then why can I only sound like jimmy Hendrix? I have a strat and a fender amp, I'm playing the same notes, I can add the same pedals and same amp settings but for reason it's never quite there.
Mainly because this discussion is entirely subjective. I'm not saying there's no difference, I'm just saying that you can't write off guys liking metal tones because you think all they like is the sound (ie x guitar + y effects + z amp = sound). For example I sound completely different playing through DM's rig than he does. If I handed you Hetfield's explorer and plugged you into his rig circa Master of Puppets, I don't believe you would sound like him.

I see what you're saying, but all anyone has tried to point out is that you don't seem to hear the nuances that they do, so you think they are just digging the sound irrespective of the player.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

benderissimo wrote:
Mainly because this discussion is entirely subjective. I'm not saying there's no difference, I'm just saying that you can't write off guys liking metal tones because you think all they like is the sound (ie x guitar + y effects + z amp = sound). For example I sound completely different playing through DM's rig than he does. If I handed you Hetfield's explorer and plugged you into his rig circa Master of Puppets, I don't believe you would sound like him.

I see what you're saying, but all anyone has tried to point out is that you don't seem to hear the nuances that they do, so you think they are just digging the sound irrespective of the player.
I haven't written off anything. I pointed out that this discussion is about tone, something which I feel is different entirely to what was being mentioned. I've lost count of how many times I've had to re-iterate that I like metal, I get why you would wanna sound like that and that there are some metal guy's with out'aworldly skills. But if the discussion is focussed on "tone"... metal isn't the first thing that springs to mind is it? I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing though. If it sounds good, then f**k it.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Ah so sound is like the "sound of a Les Paul into a Marshall", or a "Rickenbacker into a Vox", or a "Strat into a Plexi".

But tone is those sounds, shaped?

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Les_Paul86 wrote:
benderissimo wrote:

I haven't written off anything. I pointed out that this discussion is about tone, something which I feel is different entirely to what was being mentioned. I've lost count of how many times I've had to re-iterate that I like metal, I get why you would wanna sound like that and that there are some metal guy's with out'aworldly skills. But if the discussion is focussed on "tone"... metal isn't the first thing that springs to mind is it? I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing though. If it sounds good, then f**k it.
Re-read my post.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Les_Paul86 wrote:If there's no difference in sound and tone then why can I only sound like jimmy Hendrix? I have a strat and a fender amp, I'm playing the same notes, I can add the same pedals and same amp settings but for reason it's never quite there.
Wouldn't have anything to do with the fingers, would it? :think:

And no, I don't get the diff between "tone" and "sound" either.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Vince wrote:
Les_Paul86 wrote:If there's no difference in sound and tone then why can I only sound like jimmy Hendrix? I have a strat and a fender amp, I'm playing the same notes, I can add the same pedals and same amp settings but for reason it's never quite there.

In this context I'm taking it as being: gear = sound; gear + player = tone.

Or, perhaps more accurately: gear + ears/brain/taste of listener = sound; gear + player + ears/brain/taste of listener = tone

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

sirvill wrote:I'm confused now... I'm not sure I understand the difference between "tone" and "sound" :(
Tone = something you have an appreciation of
Sound = something you don't have an appreciation of

Which is otherwise known as opinion.

Although I am somewhat amused by the "tone" of reference being essentially an American Standard Strat, a set of Texas Specials, played through a cranked Marshall. All you need then is a stupid hat, a bad shirt and you too can call yourself Jimmy Vaughan's brother and sound like all the other million and a half, painfully generic, blues lawyers :wink:
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Vince wrote:

Vince you've just identified the difference lol

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Les_Paul86 wrote:
Vince wrote:

Vince you've just identified the difference lol
Yep, doesn't make a lick of difference to your point though. Tone still exists in a high-gain context.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

WOW...

So there's no such thing a tone. Then there can't be such a thing as tone snobbery then either. So we're all stupid then and everything is pointless.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Les_Paul86 wrote:So we're all stupid then and everything is pointless.
Yes. Have you only just figured that one out?
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.