Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Legendary tones

Post by Les_Paul86 »

benderissimo wrote:
Yep, doesn't make a lick of difference to your point though. Tone still exists in a high-gain context.
I didn't say it didn't exist. I re-read your posts, now re-read mine. You just pointed out the tonal difference if I was to plug into someone else's gear. proving my point and that tone does exist. I said that tone is more difficult to detect in high gain and therefore not something that is generally considered "toneful".
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Les_Paul86 wrote:So we're all stupid then and everything is pointless.
Yes. Have you only just figured that one out?
Stop it... I'm trying to be serious. :lolno:

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Les_Paul86 wrote:
I said that tone is more difficult to detect in high gain and therefore not something that is generally considered "toneful".
By people ignorant of metal and high gain, hence my previous metal = meathead post.

Personally I'll be fecked if I can spot any difference between SRV's tone, John Mayer's tone or Kenny Wayne Shepherd's tone, but I'm not into that style of blues enough to be able to make the distinction. Ignorant of the subtleties, if you will.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

hellblazer
Squier
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by hellblazer »

@LesPaul86

Hey man, you did pick a lot of the usual boring guitar mag favourites. I don't think anyone outside of guitarists listens to Bonamassa you know?

Really the only "legendary tones" are the wholly unique and idiosyncratic ones. Any successful guitarist is going to have good enough tone for whatever they do, because it's their job to coax pleasing sounds out of their gear. It's all tone though. The idea that one strata is better because... it hews closer to archaic technology? hmmmm.

If that classic-rock bollocks is the epitome of tone, it's just the gentrification of the gear scene, old guys with their midlife crisis Gibsons are half of the gear market (aspiring teenage metalheads the other half) so that's where the money is. Safe and accepted wisdom rules the day. Plus the innate conservatism, hero-worship and fetishism of guitarists, of course.

I do enjoy a bunch of the artists you mentioned. Here's a guitar tone that makes my hair stand on end
(So I'll grant you the fingers and a good amp, but wood doesn't necessarily need to be involved, haha.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i79f87C0M1c[/youtube]

(and that song's from 1995... and basically aping Andy Gill's work in the 80s, so even my own choice here is pretty backwards looking!)

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1011 times

Post by bender »

Les_Paul86 wrote: I said that tone is more difficult to detect in high gain and therefore not something that is generally considered "toneful".
For you.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7734 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

I don't wanna have to wash some sand out of all your vaginas, before things get outta control, put down the keyboards lads and have a beer!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote:I don't wanna have to wash some sand out of all your vaginas, before things get outta control, put down the keyboards lads and have a beer!
Don't worry jb, I don't actually give two shits about this discussion, I'm just passing time talking crap on an internet forum.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1011 times

Post by bender »

Mine is actually full of 50-year-old Hunduras Mahogany sawdust sprinkled with unicorn tears.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7734 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

benderissimo wrote:Mine is actually full of 50-year-old Hunduras Mahogany sawdust sprinkled with unicorn tears.
Johnny Bench called!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

hellblazer wrote:
Hey man, you did pick a lot of the usual boring guitar mag favourites. I don't think anyone outside of guitarists listens to Bonamassa you know?

Really the only "legendary tones" are the wholly unique and idiosyncratic ones. Any successful guitarist is going to have good enough tone for whatever they do, because it's their job to coax pleasing sounds out of their gear. It's all tone though. The idea that one strata is better because... it hews closer to archaic technology? hmmmm.

If that classic-rock bollocks is the epitome of tone, it's just the gentrification of the gear scene, old guys with their midlife crisis Gibsons are half of the gear market (aspiring teenage metalheads the other half) so that's where the money is. Safe and accepted wisdom rules the day. Plus the innate conservatism, hero-worship and fetishism of guitarists, of course.
So you think classic rock is bollox, no one listens to JB, blues is boring and all gears the same? If that's true, why is Eric John still playing his old strats? Why do we have analogue gear? Why are some of the most desirable amps on the planet an old beat up Vibrolux? Why would you have a choice of Maple or Rosewood? but yeah... no such thing as tone ay?
Last edited by Les_Paul86 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Les_Paul86 wrote:No no.. played plenty but it's as you just said... they sound the same. Some good, some not so good.

What might help is if I was to say that tone is possibly more difficult to achieve on a high gain amp due to as you said "frequency/harmonic content". There you go, there's one for your team. :thumbup:
Let's take some common high gain amps as example, Mesa Recto, Engl Powerball, Fryette Ultra Lead, Krank Rev. The frequency response and harmonic content of these amps are worlds apart between each other. They all have a lot going on - but in vastly different ways.
Les_Paul86 wrote:I didn't say it didn't exist. I re-read your posts, now re-read mine. You just pointed out the tonal difference if I was to plug into someone else's gear. proving my point and that tone does exist. I said that tone is more difficult to detect in high gain and therefore not something that is generally considered "toneful".
Even the same model of high gain amp can yield very different tones depending on the player's playing style and how it's dialed in. Kim Thayil (on Superunknown) and Fredrik Thordendal/Mårten Hagström (on Chaosphere) had extremely different tones while all using old 2ch Recto's. Same goes for Page Hamilton and Aaron Turner who both use Fryette Ultra Lead's.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

benderissimo wrote:Mine is actually full of 50-year-old Hunduras Mahogany sawdust sprinkled with unicorn tears.
Can I have some?
jeremyb wrote:I don't wanna have to wash some sand out of all your vaginas, before things get outta control, put down the keyboards lads and have a beer!
Danger Mouse wrote: Don't worry jb, I don't actually give two shits about this discussion, I'm just passing time talking crap on an internet forum.
It's a debate, but despite my best efforts not to offend anyone and explain my reasoning, I some how still pissed some guy's off who don't believe what I was saying even existed :?

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

godgrinder wrote:
Les_Paul86 wrote:No no.. played plenty but it's as you just said... they sound the same. Some good, some not so good.

What might help is if I was to say that tone is possibly more difficult to achieve on a high gain amp due to as you said "frequency/harmonic content". There you go, there's one for your team. :thumbup:
Let's take some common high gain amps as example, Mesa Recto, Engl Powerball, Fryette Ultra Lead, Krank Rev. The frequency response and harmonic content of these amps are worlds apart between each other. They all have a lot going on - but in vastly different ways.
Les_Paul86 wrote:I didn't say it didn't exist. I re-read your posts, now re-read mine. You just pointed out the tonal difference if I was to plug into someone else's gear. proving my point and that tone does exist. I said that tone is more difficult to detect in high gain and therefore not something that is generally considered "toneful".
Even the same model of high gain amp can yield very different tones depending on the player's playing style and how it's dialed in. Kim Thayil (on Superunknown) and Fredrik Thordendal/Mårten Hagström (on Chaosphere) had extremely different tones while all using old 2ch Recto's. Same goes for Page Hamilton and Aaron Turner who both use Fryette Ultra Lead's.
Nice. Good counter argument and one for me to ponder and look at. Thank you.

Had you said that the first time instead of an insult... I probably wouldn't still be posting on this thread.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

hellblazer wrote: If that classic-rock bollocks is the epitome of tone, it's just the gentrification of the gear scene, old guys with their midlife crisis Gibsons are half of the gear market (aspiring teenage metalheads the other half) so that's where the money is. Safe and accepted wisdom rules the day. Plus the innate conservatism, hero-worship and fetishism of guitarists, of course.
:rofl: Ouch! I felt that...

Anyway, back to Leslie West. Mmmhmmm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edbw6AqF2ko[/youtube]

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I think the title of the thread should be legendary styles not tone. To me tone is sound and certain things have certain sounds, like a les paul has a certain sound that most of them have. A marshall has a certain sound etc

By naming players you are talking more about their sound, which I call their style. Brian May doesn't sound like he does because of his gear (yes it does "adds" to his sound but doesn't define it) he sounds like him because of his style.

Its the reason people who know their own style can make just about any gear sound like their normal gear

YMMV

:yawn:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be