Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Re: Don't 'get' BB King

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

KentNZ wrote:Great thread.

There's nothing like being in he room with someone making music. Even just a lounge or bedroom. The act of creating music and hearing someone do it has a whole different vibe to it. There's life there, somehow. Recordings don't often translate.
Yeah bang on man. That same kinda thing happens when you play loud after being used to bedroom levels for so long, especially if it's your won music.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

I enjoyed listening to him talking about his playing here

Chords
https://youtu.be/862QmhLO7wY

Arpegios
https://youtu.be/_HQPh14jc2I

Soloing (especially where he discusses how he would embellish a solo with his playing as he plays a piece - starting at about 4 minutes in)
https://youtu.be/TA-zCK0dEds

etc
Last edited by tubeswell on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 385 times

Post by dayl »

I dont 'get Synester Gates

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

When it comes to tone, how many of us understand all the cork sniffing lingo? Tight bottom end, flabby overdrive, open and organic, blah blah blah... "fizzy" is probably the most accurate term I've heard applied to tone, especially in terms of distortion.

Anyway, Eric Johnson... yeah... no idea what people are talking about there. I don't enjoy listening to him, except for one or two pieces. It was made infinitely worse after I heard him speak (gormless as hell), and even further when I saw him play with his guitar up around his nipples! Having said that, I probably sound like I've got my armchair critic grumpy pants pulled up to my nipples at the moment.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I don't get Toastie Alphabethead thingymy jig. Animals as Leaders guy
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:I don't get Toastie Alphabethead thingymy jig. Animals as Leaders guy
don't be mean to JB
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

codedog wrote:Anyway, Eric Johnson... yeah... no idea what people are talking about there. I don't enjoy listening to him, except for one or two pieces. It was made infinitely worse after I heard him speak (gormless as hell), and even further when I saw him play with his guitar up around his nipples! Having said that, I probably sound like I've got my armchair critic grumpy pants pulled up to my nipples at the moment.
Can I buy you a beer? this is the guy who can tell the difference between a new battery and a half worn battery, and prefers his strats to NOT have a cover over the trem cavity. And his tone is smothered in the worst sort of eighties peanuty chorus butter thing. I've not listened to a whole song of his. And I don't intend too.

Pleased to say I'm not the only one who hates his tone :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

willow13 wrote:
Bg wrote:I don't get Toastie Alphabethead thingymy jig. Animals as Leaders guy
don't be mean to JB
I don't 'mean' to be, but ffs 8 strings? so an extra two strings to widdle on. Make me a proper fecking toastie, aboosty!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:[

so an extra two strings to widdle on
yeah...trouble is they don't widdle on them the play power chords as if they are bass players
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote:
codedog wrote:Anyway, Eric Johnson... yeah... no idea what people are talking about there. I don't enjoy listening to him, except for one or two pieces. It was made infinitely worse after I heard him speak (gormless as hell), and even further when I saw him play with his guitar up around his nipples! Having said that, I probably sound like I've got my armchair critic grumpy pants pulled up to my nipples at the moment.
Can I buy you a beer? this is the guy who can tell the difference between a new battery and a half worn battery, and prefers his strats to NOT have a cover over the trem cavity. And his tone is smothered in the worst sort of eighties peanuty chorus butter thing. I've not listened to a whole song of his. And I don't intend too.

Pleased to say I'm not the only one who hates his tone :)
I can't even recall what song of his that I thought was quite pleasant. It certainly wasn't that Cliff thing. To be fair to cork sniffers I've heard Michael Casswell and Robben Ford said something similarly hairy as that new/half battery thing, but I quite liked their tone. Eric Johnson just happens to be the complete package of shitty tone wrapped in character-free package!

While I'm glad we agree on Eric, I have to disagree on SRV though. I quite enjoy his stuff. There goes my beer...

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 385 times

Post by dayl »

Hey listen to some of Tosins clean stuff. The widdly diddly is always going to be widdly diddly, but his thumbing/ pop / slap technique is pretty cool.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I appreciate BBK, when on form his phrasing is something else and is an example of what I think blues is about, which is timing. I wouldn't buy an album, but he was worthy of respect.

My dad was Mr MOR Clapton fan, so I don't like Clapton. Even in his heyday he always sounded like a white guy playing blues for middle class white people. Some of it I will happily listen to, but there is always something a bit passionless about him, I always find his guitar work a bit flat.

Jeff Beck makes whale noises. My dad was also a fan...

If there's one guitarist I don't get, it's Dave Gilmour. A total go nowhere guitar player, I think his solos are fecking awful, pointless things.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Danger Mouse wrote:I appreciate BBK, when on form his phrasing is something else and is an example of what I think blues is about, which is timing. I wouldn't buy an album, but he was worthy of respect.

My dad was Mr MOR Clapton fan, so I don't like Clapton. Even in his heyday he always sounded like a white guy playing blues for middle class white people. Some of it I will happily listen to, but there is always something a bit passionless about him, I always find his guitar work a bit flat.

Jeff Beck makes whale noises. My dad was also a fan...

If there's one guitarist I don't get, it's Dave Gilmour. A total go nowhere guitar player, I think his solos are fecking awful, pointless things.
Yes. but you're wrong :)
An opinion is an opinion, this is why we're all individual and so many genres of music exist.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

codedog wrote:While I'm glad we agree on Eric, I have to disagree on SRV though. I quite enjoy his stuff. There goes my beer...
He certainly had passion. But that whole chunka chunka chunka der derrrrr thing really just annoys me. He hit every string on every bloody chord and damped 5 of them, chunka chunka....

His best work is the stuff he stole from Jimi and Buddy Guy. His brother is by far the better guitarist.

I'd still happily buy you a beer :)

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote:
codedog wrote:While I'm glad we agree on Eric, I have to disagree on SRV though. I quite enjoy his stuff. There goes my beer...
He certainly had passion. But that whole chunka chunka chunka der derrrrr thing really just annoys me. He hit every string on every bloody chord and damped 5 of them, chunka chunka....
Yup, that stuff was definitely overused, then... and now!