StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Re: Don't 'get' BB King

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Can't stand Clapton. Always thought he was very over rated. Also John jerk-off endless retarded blues solo while the rest of the band and audience go to sleep Meyer. And they both use those dreadful strata-ma-phones.
Give me Matt 'guitar' Murphy or Geoff 'skunk' Baxter any day.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Don't think I've ever heard a guitarist I couldn't steal something from.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Danger Mouse wrote:My dad was Mr MOR Clapton fan, so I don't like Clapton. Even in his heyday he always sounded like a white guy playing blues for middle class white people. Some of it I will happily listen to, but there is always something a bit passionless about him, I always find his guitar work a bit flat.
I admit I do find his clean sound completely flat, it's like he's playing through a SS amp. Just doesn't feel like there's any dynamic range in there at all - so completely different to the sound he had in the 60's.

Having said that I do have quite a few of his albums, but it's pick-and-mix what tracks I like off them.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:My dad was Mr MOR Clapton fan, so I don't like Clapton. Even in his heyday he always sounded like a white guy playing blues for middle class white people. Some of it I will happily listen to, but there is always something a bit passionless about him, I always find his guitar work a bit flat.
I admit I do find his clean sound completely flat, it's like he's playing through a SS amp. Just doesn't feel like there's any dynamic range in there at all - so completely different to the sound he had in the 60's.

Having said that I do have quite a few of his albums, but it's pick-and-mix what tracks I like off them.
You've raised a rather interesting point there, when you said ... pick-and-mix ... albums. It's been a long time since I bought albums. We first went with Google Play Music, then to Spotify Premium. Cherry picking tracks is just natural, albums rarely mean anything, except for new releases just before we cherry pick the tracks we want to keep on our playlists. As a result, when we say we like a particular artist it's likely we haven't listened to their whole collection, or have conveniently forgotten the shite tracks!

Some tracks stuck though, like all the shite Eric Johnson ones I've had the misfortune of hearing... :cry:

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

oww man, I`m still into albums. its all about the context to me.
and Eric Johnston with his ear muffs on and his I`m a little bit special smerk is a total tool
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

mrmofo wrote:oww man, I`m still into albums. its all about the context to me.
Same here. And albums I originally heard as actual albums, well, I need to hear the tracks in the same order as always. Still find it jarring when the radio plays some song I'm familiar with and the next song they play is from another band on another album :)
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Slowy wrote:Don't think I've ever heard a guitarist I couldn't steal something from.
Lil.

Wayne.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

null_pointer wrote:
Slowy wrote:Don't think I've ever heard a guitarist I couldn't steal something from.
Lil.

Wayne.
Nah wasn't what he meant. We were both at the Greenstone Amps reunion, I was jamming merrily away through my amp, but when I finished playing both Slowy and my car were gone... the thieving bastard...
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Danger Mouse wrote:
null_pointer wrote:
Lil.

Wayne.
Nah wasn't what he meant. We were both at the Greenstone Amps reunion, I was jamming merrily away through my amp, but when I finished playing both Slowy and my car were gone... the thieving bastard...
Well the further you get from central Remmers...

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

wow... I've always enjoyed BB Kings music but never heard 'Live at The Regal' until today.

Too good. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

dayl wrote:wow... I've always enjoyed BB Kings music but never heard 'Live at The Regal' until today.

Too good. Thanks for the heads up on that one.
This is worth a watch too :wink:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

null_pointer wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:
null_pointer wrote:
Lil.

Wayne.
Well the further you get from central Remmers...
You should never leave central Remmers, it gets scary once you pass through peasant control, sorry passport control....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

While we're talking about BB King I have a rather soppy story to tell... you may want to avert your eyes if you're not into that sort of thing...
SERIOUSLY... I mean it... do it NOW... I don't want to be responsible for violent cringes or vomiting...
That dog in my avatar, also on the custom wooden truss rod covers of my PRS's, was my first dog. He was also responsible for getting me and my wife together. We lost him mid last year. On the long drive home after taking him to the crematorium Spotify served me this song:

I had to pull over... simply could not drive. A lot of blues songs lyrics can have somewhat cringeworthy, but this one really hit me hard in a different way. BB King simply nailed it. To Know You Is To Love You, that was, in essence, my dog. We got married last weekend. While he couldn't be there to be the ring bearer like we wanted this song played in his stead. People may discuss/argue about BB's tone, phrasing, vibrato and other technical skills. His voice and passion were often neglected. He's a bluesman and outstanding entertainer. To me that's an integral part of "getting BB King".
Ok, normal programming may resume...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Agree about Jeff Beck, and I also think the Beatles are well overrated, and Radiohead are shit.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

jeremyb wrote:Agree about Jeff Beck, and I also think the Beatles are well overrated, and Radiohead are shit.
Heh opinions of course, but that's pretty rough on the Beatles in particular. Absolute cornerstone for what pop music became and was given permission to become, while drastically expanding your average listeners scope of taste. There is a clear line technically between mid-career Beatles before and after in the market. Sgt Peppers especially challenged and demanded so much more of their contemporaries who envied and vied to compete with it that just that one album is a major pillar in pop development.

I don't particularly love any Beatles album apart from Revolver but I'd never call them overrated.

Opinion of course...