Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Re: Don't 'get' BB King

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

Bg wrote:
jeremyb wrote:To be honest, most solo performance guitarists are terrible, theres little bits of genius from time to time, but most of it is recycled boredom to me...
yep, my idea of torture is a solo guitar instrumental album. Blasphemer!
Same here!

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

Bg wrote:Ha, as for Eric Johnson - he has this rep for being so into his tone. TBH the tone on the one song I've listened too more than once, cliffs of dover, is really really shit.
Yeah it's bloody awful!

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

jeremyb wrote:To be honest, most solo performance guitarists are terrible, theres little bits of genius from time to time, but most of it is recycled boredom to me...
thats how I feel about most singers.

and...

I like the division bell lyrics.... :oops:
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Lawrence wrote:I like the division bell lyrics.... :oops:
yeah, having listened recently to his latest solo efforts, you're right, its way better. I just think it would have been leagues ahead with rog. I withdraw my comment, I blame the pain in my mouth from tooth extraction.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Les_Paul86 »

I get BB. I think you have to understand his songs, as in why they're written. Blues is a woman, a woman impossible to please... Yadayadayada. He wasn't the most dynamic guitar player ever, but he laid some great foundations with a simplistic approach to blues.

I like Jeff beck, but not in a "got the t-shirt" way. I respect his ability. The musics too out there for me to sit and Mong too but I appreciate his endless talent.

The one I don't "get" is probably not going to go down too well...
Clapton? What's so special?
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Les_Paul86 wrote:I get BB. I think you have to understand his songs, as in why they're written. Blues is a woman, a woman impossible to please... Yadayadayada. He wasn't the most dynamic guitar player ever, but he laid some great foundations with a simplistic approach to blues.

I like Jeff beck, but not in a "got the t-shirt" way. I respect his ability. The musics too out there for me to sit and Mong too but I appreciate his endless talent.

again with Clapton, it really was the era. When someone wrote 'Clapton is God' they really meant it. He was the english hendrix in that respect, he was doing stuff no-one had really done up to that point. JTM45 loudness really was unheard of at gigs. He broke a mould in that respect. They had to invent recording methods to deal with the loudness on the 'Beano' album, they hadn't had to deal with that before. He invented woman tone ffs! yeah ok, its all changed since then, but listen to the Beano album, it was ground breaking at the time.

Cream were just a great big fucking jam band of 3 musos at the top of their game, Clapton was sinking a bottle of brandy a day, maybe 2, and shoving all manner of drugs into his system. Their concerts were either brilliant or absolute shite, no in betweens.

Most of his seventies and eighties output is instantly forgettable, but you can't deny he's raked in lots of cash from the MOR boredom.

He's best when playing blues, and he's even better at assembling a band. Steve Gadd, Nathan East, Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall II, Chris Stainton, Billy Preston, a whole host of backing singers and lets not forget Derek and the Dominoes with Duane Allman.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Les_Paul86 wrote:I get BB. I think you have to understand his songs, as in why they're written. Blues is a woman, a woman impossible to please... Yadayadayada. He wasn't the most dynamic guitar player ever, but he laid some great foundations with a simplistic approach to blues.

oh and if the riff from layla doesn't get to you, you're dead inside ;)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

the riff is disputed, but its basically a clapton put together album is the point I'm putting.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Lawrence wrote:

and...

Division bell is cool, Dave's wife wrote the lyrics for it, silent partner and all that, she wrote the lyrics to his latest solo effort too and it's rather abysmal... maybe I should stop before I start my solo side project LOL :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:
Lawrence wrote:

and...

Division bell is cool, Dave's wife wrote the lyrics for it, silent partner and all that, she wrote the lyrics to his latest solo effort too and it's rather abysmal... maybe I should stop before I start my solo side project LOL :lol:
yep, his new one is shit. Moar cowbell needed.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

BB can.... or could, sing the blues very well too. What these guys (BB and Jeff) did needs to be put into context as well. They are legends remember, not cutting edge new guys.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Yeah Molly, definitely hunt down his Live at the Regal. If you can't find it then just give it a few listens on Spotify.

I found this clip quite interesting :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqUhdBAJfsk[/youtube]

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Bg wrote:

oh and if the riff from layla doesn't get to you, you're dead inside ;)
I did say it wouldn't go down well lol.

I'll admit, Layla is one song that inspired to even pick up a guitar but the rest.. meh.
For you BG i'll get beano going while doing the lawns this weekend. See if I can be converted. :thumbup:
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

Bg wrote:
yep, my idea of torture is a solo guitar instrumental album. Blasphemer!
I agree with this - used to listen to Joe Satriani when I was 13 and never again have I been into instrumental showoffery. Made the mistake of seeing Joe live, that was even worse, and I went with great expectations.

I do like Eric Johnson's tones though.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Not a big fan of Jeff Beck, but I'm very fond of There And Back.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2UscnUthNQ[/youtube]

I don't really get BB KIng either, even Live At The Regal. I mean, I don't dislike it, but it's not like I started ejaculating spastically as soon as I heard it. It was good, but not really my cuppa. Or perhaps it was just never going to live up to the hype.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook