Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Re: Overdrive 101

Post by Conway »

Molly wrote:... for when I decide the MkV is too complicated and go back around in circles.
Uh-oh!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Les_Paul86 »

JHorner wrote:The problem is that the player, the guitar, the amp, the speakers, the mic, the production and the speakers you listen to it on affect the sound so much that the demo becomes 99% pointless.

The only way is to have the pedal, play the pedal, decide it fits in your rig or not, and then keep it or move it on.

If you're also changing your amp and guitar regularly, well... Thats a lot of variables.
This.

I've been through countless drive pedals and it's all about what you're using with it. I could recommend a list as long as my arm but unless you play your guitar, through said pedal into your amp... It's pretty useless.

My rig consists of the best possible clean (fender usually) and I add pedals from there. I've found tele's and strats like a tube screamer style of pedal, but my LP's like something juicier.

The Xotic effects SL drive loves a Les Paul.
TS9's stack really well with an OCD.
My favourite higher gain is the wampler pinnacle.
Best Klon clone is the archer by J Rocket.
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

TmcB wrote:Will be interested to hear your thoughts with the Rogue vs the Archer
So would I. I'm not entirely certain I made the right choice there. :roll: :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Slowy wrote:
TmcB wrote:Will be interested to hear your thoughts with the Rogue vs the Archer
So would I. I'm not entirely certain I made the right choice there. :roll: :lol:
Ha! I probably need to send you the MKII so you can see for yourself - the green one you played was the MKI
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

TmcB wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Ha! I probably need to send you the MKII so you can see for yourself - the green one you played was the MKI
Temptation.... I have heard of that! If you have a spare one and especially if there's other Orclunders who are interested, I'd be happy to act as its tour director. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

I wouldn't bother with OD once you've got the V, IMO the channels are voiced differently enough that a drive set for one doesn't really suit the others. You also have 3 channels of mojo already anyway.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Eruera wrote:I wouldn't bother with OD once you've got the V, IMO the channels are voiced differently enough that a drive set for one doesn't really suit the others. You also have 3 channels of mojo already anyway.
So what you're really saying is that he will need at least a dozen overdrives.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Going Rogue

Post by Molly »

Tony kindly sent me his Rogue to try. Did an A/B with the Hot Cake using my EJ Strat (CS and David Allen pickups).

Top Hat took both well but the clarity on the Rogue was head-and-shoulders above the HC. It was exactly what I think it's supposed to be; like having the amp really loud but without having to. I turned the whole lot up to a really uncomfortable volume anyway and it was ******* glorious. Had that beautiful singing feedback coming in all over the place. Wish I could play at that volume all the time. HC was still good and if I hadn't had something better to compare it with I'd probably have been perfectly happy with it.

Going to try them through the Mk.V and include an Archer after the weekend. Be interesting to hear how it takes them.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

I've got about 5 or 6 ODs. Am always switching them in and out. Can never quite get the tone I want out of one.

To be honest, i think they're all a bit fizzy to some degree or other, but I just can't drive my amp at hard enough volumes to get the breakup I want, so it's a trade off.

Depend how much breakup you want, but what i will say is that the Xotic EP3 is a great pedal for increasing your chances of a small amount of breakup without the fizz. It's not really an OD - more of a boost, but will let you goose the signal into the amp really nicely. I leave it on permanently to get a slightly broken clean sound - it just has some magic dust in it or something.
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Going Rogue

Post by jeremyb »

Molly wrote:Tony kindly sent me his Rogue to try. Did an A/B with the Hot Cake using my EJ Strat (CS and David Allen pickups).

Top Hat took both well but the clarity on the Rogue was head-and-shoulders above the HC. It was exactly what I think it's supposed to be; like having the amp really loud but without having to. I turned the whole lot up to a really uncomfortable volume anyway and it was ******* glorious. Had that beautiful singing feedback coming in all over the place. Wish I could play at that volume all the time. HC was still good and if I hadn't had something better to compare it with I'd probably have been perfectly happy with it.

Going to try them through the Mk.V and include an Archer after the weekend. Be interesting to hear how it takes them.
Tony knows his shizzle! :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.