LucyTheSpud
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

MIDI sync pedalboards

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Sup

Im currently in the process of sync'ing multiple pedals together within my board, so that all my time based effects are all based from one clock. The goal is, all my gear synchronised together for live use (and i hate using digital rack systems, pedals on the floor is where i'm at)

Running MIDI clock information out of my Eventide Pitchfactor, into my Line6 M5, and then into a delay (buying soon, probably a DD500). Using an external tap tempo switch into the Eventide. Imagine switching all 3 on, and having perfectly timed harmonised delays, a sweeping phaser with start and end points matching the bars of the song, and a big swooping delay ontop. Sploosh.

Anyone had any luck with similar setups? Deemed worth it? Thought about doing it? Tried and given up? I wanna know what you all think

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: MIDI sync pedalboards

Post by jeremyb »

I used to do it manually with my delays (I run at least 3 most of the time) when I was running individual pedals, just put them all on quite short delays so you don't hear the repeats, it all flows into mad sustain, but now I'm back on the HD500X I use global tap tempo and set all my delays and effects to note subdivisions, works brilliantly :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I've done this with multiple delays, very cool. I had a tremolo that had tap tempo, but I found it was only useful for that one green day tremolo sound, the rest of the time I preferred it to be out of sync. In general I think that synced stuff is mega cool if you make good use of it.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

What you want is the "quartz timer" by Selah effects.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Kev77 wrote:What you want is the "quartz timer" by Selah effects.
Im intrigued...

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Kev77 wrote:What you want is the "quartz timer" by Selah effects.
Now that iv looked, not so intrigued. I can use my Eventide gear as a midi clock to output to everything else. Neat idea having it through a seperate clock, but pedalboard space is always key!

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Yeah, that's one of the good things about the Eventide - full MIDI control.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

i managed to get my eventides talking to each other but had a nightmare syncing anything else.CC comamnds can eat a dick! esp when they differ between manufacturers!

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Kris wrote:i managed to get my eventides talking to each other but had a nightmare syncing anything else.CC comamnds can eat a dick! esp when they differ between manufacturers!
Really? I managed to get the Eventide and M5 talking without having to do anything.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

yeah i had 3 eventides and a g labs switcher.i'd have to go back to the archive to remember what else was in there.....

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

I have a couple of options - a tap tempo with multiple outs - so I can just rig up patch cables to any external tap switches I have... or use midi. Or both.

I really liked having midi sync (TR8 > Timeline > Big Sky > Pigtronix Infinity) which was awesome because not only did it sync the delays/reverbs, but it meant the looper "rounded" to whole bars...

When I get set up with a laptop I'll put the interface before the TR8 (or in place of) and let Ableton control all my time.

Though, I also have a little box that will output midi clock from a tap tempo pedal, which has potential too. Not so much potential that I've actually used it yet, but the potential is there. ;)
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...