calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Re: I suck at guitar

Post by calling card »

Yeah 3 chord shuffle in E, been chipping away at it for years and years. You can turn it into rock&roll by moving to A as the root and a change of rhythm/feel.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

jeremyb wrote:Now that I'm in a band and writing music I wish I knew some more theory, however theres always the accidents / fooling about which lead to cool melodies etc, often if it sounds good theres a technical reason why, but I don't need to know why it sounds good because it just sounds good (if that makes sense??)...
Yeah, ok.

But

I used to play with a classically trained keyboardist and I'd pull out these weird chords where I myself had no idea what I was playing. And not knowing what I was playing, finding the next chord was a major pain. But I'd tell her the notes and she'd say something like "Oh! That's an Amin7Sus3, the next chord would be [some name]... " and she'd play that chord. "Unless you try these inversions, which could be more interesting!" and so on.

Stuff that I found accidentally and could have spent years trying to evolve was sorted in a matter of minutes.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Yeah ! had a bit of breakthrough with understanding the theory at last. Understanding intervals and scales *before* putting the note names (letters) on and it suddenly started to fall into place.

Chord theory was a sticking point until I realised that even though a major chord is built from the root of its major scale, it will still fit in other keys but won't be the I chord, maybe the III or IV chord etc.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

sizzlingbadger wrote:
Chord theory was a sticking point until I realised that even though a major chord is built from the root of its major scale, it will still fit in other keys but won't be the I chord, maybe the III or IV chord etc.
Yep, and knowing that is handy when you want to write a big key change into a song. Or even work out what some band is playing.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook