Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: I suck at guitar

Post by Vince »

The thing about theory that most people forget is that it was developed after the event, to explain what people were hearing.

And you can learn a lot from looking at/copying other people's songs. "That chord progression sounds so GOOD! What are the chords?" Again, no theory.

You don't need to know theory to play music any more than you have to understand physiology to eat a banana.

But theory is very useful if you want to understand why a bananas-only diet isn't working for you.

It's also handy when people ask you to transpose into another key, for example. Ever tried playing with a brass or woodwind player? Very useful.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

The most enjoyable thing I've ever "past participle of get" out of the instrument is from playing with other people, yes it's daunting!!!! but way more fun, even if you're a beginner there are things to be gained (timing, improving your ear etc..)

Do you know anyone who plays drums or bass you could jam with? even just basic stuff, banging out some simple 3 chord songs can make your enjoyment and therefore motivation improve :)

Also read this book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085 ... k_ro_title I wish I'd read this 25 years ago when I first picked up a guitar, I'm still stuck in intermediate level player hell :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

Well it's been a bit over a year since I bought my first guitar anyway, which was a bit of a milestone so I was considering what I've learnt so far. It's not much but I understand it's a very slow process of improvement. Thanks for the support from the long-time players who also (depressingly?) say that it never changes and it's a constant battle of practice to keep playing. I suppose that as long as the practice is fun though, it's not really a problem. :)

Badger, good to know you're the same! Kind of good anyway, though I wish it could be easier for everyone. My current short term goals are trying to identify the key and chords in songs by ear and identifying intervals, as well as just to pick up the guitar and make some noise for some time every day. I was worried that I'm possibly tone deaf but all sources say it's just a lack of training and that it's something anyone can learn through practice. :sarc: I mean, I can obviously listen to music and I start to "hear" more lately.. but it's such a slow and gradual process eh. I'll try the lecture videos you linked me to when I find myself in the right mindset, though at first glance it was such an excruciatingly dry presentation I couldn't concentrate on anything he was saying. I'll flick through the channel and see if something does hold my attention.

Oh yeh and I have a friend who is maybe an intermediate bass player, but yeh it's suuuuper daunting to play in front of anyone. :geek:
Slowy wrote:Just watch this. It contains all the answers.
[start a band video]
Funny, I had a former work colleague insist that this one had all the answers.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCSbTQcrV_Y[/youtube]

Not related to the song above, but I love when I watch videos of successful musicians playing their own songs in concert too and they're super brown, playing like rubbish and just generally being unprofessional, that's really heartening. There's nothing better than a brown solo (ib:jb) :shifty:

Hey is transposing to another key something you guys can do on the fly? I get it would be easy enough with songs made of just a few power chords, but solos would be... challenging?

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

mttn3 wrote:Hey is transposing to another key something you guys can do on the fly? I get it would be easy enough with songs made of just a few power chords, but solos would be... challenging?
It depends on how you approach it... some people just play "boxes" or scale patterns and all they need to do is shift the box up or down the fretboard. Or you could possibly use a capo. Or you can know your scales and transpose on the fly.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

mttn3
PRS
PRS

Post by mttn3 »

Ah yes, the boxes... I've been meaning to practise with those, but all in good time. I'm really liking the advice about fat cats not needing to know about physiology to eat bananas and listening to existing chord progressions to learn what sounds good. Basically being a musician is like being a monkey, is it? :?: People say I monkee around.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

mttn3 wrote:People say I monkee around.
But you're too busy singing, right? :think: :lol:

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

"I suck at guitar" means you don't practice or play for long enough. Turn your amp on more than your computer and you might still suck, but you'll suck less.
Make Music Great Again

mttn3
PRS
PRS

Post by mttn3 »

Clanger wrote:"I suck at guitar" means you don't practice or play for long enough. Turn your amp on more than your computer and you might still suck, but you'll suck less.
You're right, of course. It does come down to motivation as well, as there are a million things I might not suck at but haven't put the practice into, but yeh that's pretty much it.

Often a lot of my "spare time" is in the middle of the night when I can't sleep so I get up and watch crap on youtube, which is why I've ended up learning the little bit of theory that I have, but yeah I have no excuse for not applying my daytime time to it.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

mttn3 wrote:Well it's been a bit over a year since I bought my first guitar anyway
Frankly, one year in, everyone I know including me sucked. Don't worry about it. Get a guitar that's so good you must pick it up and play it for 3 hours every day.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Transposing on the fly can be easy or difficult depending on how complicated the original part is. Learning how to do it quickly is like learning any other technique - it requires practise and you get better with time.

Generally not necessary, but it's a pretty impressive skill!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Zaulkin wrote:Transposing on the fly can be easy or difficult depending on how complicated the original part is. Learning how to do it quickly is like learning any other technique - it requires practise and you get better with time.

I'm not sure you're qualified to appear in a thread with this title. :wink:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Slowy wrote:
Zaulkin wrote:Transposing on the fly can be easy or difficult depending on how complicated the original part is. Learning how to do it quickly is like learning any other technique - it requires practise and you get better with time.

Only because my post would be too long!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Zaulkin wrote:
Slowy wrote:

Only because my post would be too long!
Far as I'm concerned Mate, you can just keep playing. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2489 times
Been liked: 2800 times

Post by Molly »

Been thinking about this thread a bit.

Maybe it's not possible to 'suck' as you put it if your approach is right. If you can disconnect from all outside influences and bullshit and just play what feels and sounds good to you then it must be good regardless of the skills you bring. Not sure I've articulated that well because I've a warm, brandy-influenced glow about now but I've been wondering how music would be if there were no visual properties or ego; just the interaction of musicians 100% in the moment; listening more than playing.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Well... kinda. I say I suck because I can't translate what I want to do in my head to practical application - a gap in skills between the music I want to make and what I can achieve.