Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times

Re: Steve Lukather deconstructed

Post by twistedthoughts »

To put that solo into context, it's the outro "jam" solo. It's meant to be a little loose / widdly widdly / wanky. There is a far more succinct and tasteful solo done earlier in the song. It's not amazing, but well done and it incorporates some techniques that I directly stole from this song and use often at gigs (most notably placing the pinky one fret up at the peak of a full step bend). I think Dimebag also credited Lukather for his use of that technique.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I think the outro solo is great in context - seems pointless when listened to in isolation, but put the band back into it and all the jazz fusion passing note touches really start to land. Really cool stuff, and kinda out of my basic pentatonic wheelhouse so I admire it just a little bit more.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I agree it sounds better in the context of the song, but it's still widdly widdly bleurgh :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

New thread topic: Stevie Ray Vaughan Deconstructed. Then add pictures of the chopper crash.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

handsoffmatt wrote:I totally get that guitar playing is subjective - but it blows my mind that anybody can not be impressed by this.
yup. this.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Kinda depressing how much practice I have ahead of me just to sound like Lukather not giving a shit
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

TmcB wrote:Kinda depressing how much practice I have ahead of me just to sound like Lukather not giving a shit
very true, Randy Rhodes is another, the solo on Crazy Train at the end when he is just shredding like crazy, during the fade out. crazy stuff
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

mrmofo wrote:
TmcB wrote:Kinda depressing how much practice I have ahead of me just to sound like Lukather not giving a shit
very true, Randy Rhodes is another, the solo on Crazy Train at the end when he is just shredding like crazy, during the fade out. crazy stuff
OK. I'm going to be fussy and insist upon the correct spelling for the wonderful Mr Rhoads.

Love the wild fills in SATO.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Frey wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:
Molly wrote:
I've tried over and over again to sit through a Jeff Beck performance and just can't. I'll never 'get it'.
My dad listened to a bit of Jeff Beck when I was growing up, I don't get it either. For the most part he seems to be trying to be clever for the sake of it and using the trem to make whale mating call noises.
Make sure you never check out kevin shields/mbv then lol
Unlikely I would, unless he plays in a deathcore band? :D

Thanks for the heads up though!
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Can't say I am a Lukather fan, have a couple of his solo albums and they didn't do much for me.

Saw him live a few years ago on the G3 tour with Satriani and Vai, again didn't find his music particularly memorable but he did have a rather gorgeous lead tone.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Can't say I am a Lukather fan, have a couple of his solo albums and they didn't do much for me.

Saw him live a few years ago on the G3 tour with Satriani and Vai, again didn't find his music particularly memorable but he did have a rather gorgeous lead tone.
Yeah he was trying too hard on that tour I thought - too busy and not as melodic as is his usual wont. Maybe being onstage with Vai and Satriani caused him to get too shreddy.

Loved the XTCs tho!

sidewinder
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by sidewinder »

werdna wrote:New thread topic: Stevie Ray Vaughan Deconstructed. Then add pictures of the chopper crash.
Bruh.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

i love these isolated tracks stuff not just the guitar but you appreciate how much is lost in the mix(but also what it adds to the mix aswell)
total respect ayyyyyyyy
:mental:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

sidewinder wrote:
werdna wrote:New thread topic: Stevie Ray Vaughan Deconstructed. Then add pictures of the chopper crash.
Bruh.
Stopped a kid crossing the school today carrying a guitar case. Quick chat. Asked him who his favourite guitar player is and he shot back, without hesitation: Stevie Ray Vaughan.

That was the right answer. :-)