Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3509 times
Been liked: 1094 times

Re: What are you learning?

Post by codedog »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:37 pm
codedog wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:22 pm Movie/TV themes... on the Godin nylon, drenched in ambient effects.
Twin peaks (tho baritone would be the ticket here)

We (mostly used to/past tense) play a fair few tv themes in the bull kelp surfers
Get smart
Munsters theme
I dream of jeanie

Ok im off to learn to learn twin peaks now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go7x-cB ... =RomainCNC
Twin Peaks! That's a great suggestion!

I'm not advanced enough for a lot of the more complex single-guitar arrangements. Yellowstone is a nice simple intro for me, purely to indulge mucking about with effects and, if I'm lucky, learn to play cleanly. Recording has been a fantastic tool, mainly coz I don't hear a lot of the mistakes or rough bits while I'm making them.

For actually pretty pieces (IMO) I'm looking at Braveheart and Legends Of The Fall.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 834 times
Been liked: 1340 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Such deep implausible wet GAS for a home bass tube rig :sick: :crybaby: :mental:

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/ampeg-pf20t- ... s-amp-head

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Rhythm Changes

I’m using the Aebersold book and CD
Great fun
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

Scottish pentatonic modes

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7822 times
Been liked: 4224 times

Post by jeremyb »

Litterick wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:58 am Scottish pentatonic modes
Dodges the salad notes?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:18 am
Dodges the salad notes?
A plate of chips is considered a salad in Scotland.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

Danger Mouse wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:32 am
jeremyb wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:18 am
Dodges the salad notes?
A plate of chips is considered a salad in Scotland.
Tonic, second, fourth, fifth and sixth; no greens.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1120 times
Been liked: 1441 times

Post by robthemac »

Broadening my knowledge of the jazz standards.

Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise. Loop pedal utilised for the chords. A few bung notes but getting there. Amps are both forum-made (Ryan-built Tweed, Plexi clone assembled by MikeC with cab by BG).

Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 485 times
Been liked: 223 times

Post by IMOCD »

robthemac wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:49 pm Broadening my knowledge of the jazz standards.

Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise. Loop pedal utilised for the chords. A few bung notes but getting there. Amps are both forum-made (Ryan-built Tweed, Plexi clone assembled by MikeC with cab by BG).

Jazz eludes me, and I'm OK with that, now. My time recently has been taken up with triads/inversions of, and learning to play over progressions in the keys relative major or minor. That's enough brain work for me!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7822 times
Been liked: 4224 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:49 pm Broadening my knowledge of the jazz standards.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1024 times
Been liked: 2509 times

Post by Slowy »

Needs moar overdrive!

But very tasty regardless.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

IMOCD wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:44 pm

Jazz eludes me, and I'm OK with that, now. My time recently has been taken up with triads/inversions of, and learning to play over progressions in the keys relative major or minor. That's enough brain work for me!
Probably have to grow up with it, like most things. I was the rebellious teenager who didn't want to listen to my parent's favour music, e.g. The Who, Steely Dan. The natural place to land for a fifteen year-old in the mid 2000s was obviously Miles Davis and Charlie Parker. They were some of the first songs I learned on guitar. Probably why I can't strum a power chord to save my life.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:08 pm

Needs moar overdrive!

Hah, there is actually a Silverpistol OD running reasonably hot. I play so gently that it juuust compresses. If I were digging in work a pick it would be pretty distorted.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1024 times
Been liked: 2509 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:12 pm
Slowy wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:08 pm

Needs moar overdrive!

Hah, there is actually a Silverpistol OD running reasonably hot. I play so gently that it juuust compresses. If I were digging in work a pick it would be pretty distorted.
I heard a new NZ guitar release on the RNZ Jazz programme last week. I was driving and not really paying attention so I don't know who it was.
My Jazz knowlege is insufficient to describe it beyond saying the music was techinically well to the right of Brubeck but the interpretation... Melody started with a sax and morphed seamlessly into a gained out guitar. The rhythym track was crunch power chords and the drummer; you could hear his superb command of jazz chops but he was playing it as metal.

It was a quite standard jazz track with the gain turned up to 11. It was awesome!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.