HamstaNZ
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time

Hmmmmmmm....

Post by HamstaNZ »

Hey all

Long time lurker, first time poster. Bit of a mains adaptor effects hum quandary.

Have an eclectic bunch of pedals I've acquired over time:
- EBS Octabass (the original grey version with the jacks around the wrong way)
- EBS Dynacomp
- BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor
- BOSS CEB-3 Bass Chorus
- Dunlop Q535 Wah
- Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
- Dr Green The Waiting Room delay

On batteries they all sound great but suck a bit of juice so thought I'd be a environmentally & financially savvy & get a power adaptor.

Went with a cheapie Behringer first - yeah, probably a mistake. Quiet as with the Octabass but noisy with everything else.

Got a Godlyke PowerAll off TradeMe having read excellent reviews. Quiet with the Octabass, Bass Chorus & Wah but noisy with everything else.

The noise isn't consistent between pedals - some is almost 50Hz hum, while others are almost phasing noise. The Delay almost screams. Definitely worse with the Behringer than the Godlyke but still there. But again, chuck a 9V battery in any of them & their quiet as a church mouse.

Advice? More a back room weekend noodler than a gigger. I'm probably fine just muddling through with occasional battery changes, but just wondering if anyone has someone has a quick & easy solution.

Cheers
Hamsta

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Re: Hmmmmmmm....

Post by mttn3 »

Hi and welcome :)

I don't know anything about pedals though, sorry.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Welcome!
I did almost the same as you; including selling pedals that were too noisy. Problem was, proper isolated power supplies were just so damn expensive.
Cutting to the chase, take a deep breath, open your wallet and purchase a decent power supply. I use a Hot Stone but there's plenty of good ones out there. If you do this, I promise all your noise issues will be a thing of the past. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yep short of rechargeable batteries, I'd go Voodoo labs, because you're worth it..
And welcome :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Welcome!!

Grab a Trutone CS7 or CS12 :)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

BY Slowy - Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:55 am
By Bg » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:16 am

Proof your team is always on the job!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Slowy wrote: BY Slowy - Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:55 am

Go to bed!

Ohh and welcome.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

HamstaNZ wrote:Hey all

Long time lurker, first time poster. Bit of a mains adaptor effects hum quandary.

Have an eclectic bunch of pedals I've acquired over time:
- EBS Octabass (the original grey version with the jacks around the wrong way)
- EBS Dynacomp
- BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor
- BOSS CEB-3 Bass Chorus
- Dunlop Q535 Wah
- Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
- Dr Green The Waiting Room delay

On batteries they all sound great but suck a bit of juice so thought I'd be a environmentally & financially savvy & get a power adaptor.

Went with a cheapie Behringer first - yeah, probably a mistake. Quiet as with the Octabass but noisy with everything else.

Got a Godlyke PowerAll off TradeMe having read excellent reviews. Quiet with the Octabass, Bass Chorus & Wah but noisy with everything else.

The noise isn't consistent between pedals - some is almost 50Hz hum, while others are almost phasing noise. The Delay almost screams. Definitely worse with the Behringer than the Godlyke but still there. But again, chuck a 9V battery in any of them & their quiet as a church mouse.

Advice? More a back room weekend noodler than a gigger. I'm probably fine just muddling through with occasional battery changes, but just wondering if anyone has someone has a quick & easy solution.

Cheers
Hamsta
Like Slowly said, the answer is to get yourself an isolated power supply. They aren't cheap but you'll never have to worry about any of these issues ever again. The good news is that there are now plenty of options out there at various price points so you can get something that directly suits your needs. Along with a pedalboard it is one of the most boring but most useful things you'll buy.

The delay will be a PT2399 based delay which are reknowned for being noisy, and some noise will be coming from the adapter itself - most power adapters don't have any filtering on them. Strymon power supplies are like this - big current but noisy as hell in analog pedals.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

HamstaNZ
Stagg
Stagg

Post by HamstaNZ »

Slowy wrote:Cutting to the chase, take a deep breath, open your wallet and purchase a decent power supply.
:? <SIGH!> I was afraid you were going to say that.
Slowy wrote:f you do this, I promise all your noise issues will be a thing of the past.
Money-back guarantee, Slowy? ;)

HamstaNZ
Stagg
Stagg

Post by HamstaNZ »

crowbgood1 wrote:
Slowy wrote: BY Slowy - Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:55 am

Go to bed!

Ohh and welcome.
Yep. Different forum, same old sh..... :D

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

HamstaNZ wrote:
Slowy wrote:Cutting to the chase, take a deep breath, open your wallet and purchase a decent power supply.
:? <SIGH!> I was afraid you were going to say that.
Slowy wrote:f you do this, I promise all your noise issues will be a thing of the past.
Money-back guarantee, Slowy? ;)
It's a safe bet. :thumbup:

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Welcome Hamsta, I have one of those Seymour Duncan Pickup Boosters too, only booster I have owned actually and I still like it. Crazy amount of gain (up to 16db) available to drive any amp into lala land if required, but good with small amount too thicken the tone.

I put this in the front of my chain generally, wiser heads will have other views, of course anything that follows could be overdriven if you wind up the gain, so be careful. I only use mine for solos as a rule, so set for that step change.

Ps: these boosters are a good piezo pre-amp too if you need such thing.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I got a Mosky from fleabay a while back and it sorted out my noise issues. It was quite cheap too. I had a very modest board with Joyo OD and Trem, EHX reverb, Carbon Copy delay. To be honest I can't remember how many outlets it had. It's somewhere in the garage since I've been using the Boss GT-100 for a while. Will be putting it back to service now that I've got the IRT-Studio.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

HamstaNZ wrote: On batteries they all sound great ...
... Quiet as with the Octabass but noisy with everything else.

Hello from a fellow lurker...

Sounds like a classic ground loop hum - some of your pedals are seeing two ground circuit paths - one through the patch/guitar leads and another through the power leads and the power supply. Two paths = more noise. A decent power supply *should* isolate any grounds/negative supplies between its jacks. That's why they sound fine on batteries - each 9V is an isolated power supply.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Hi and Welcome.

I have a Godlyke which I don't use because of noise - in some settings it puts a high pitched whine into the chain.

I use a visual sound Onespot which I have no issues with.

This topic comes up every so often and some forum users have the exact opposite experience with the same adapters so it must depend on pedals etc. I think the more expensive isolated option is the only safe one.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...