Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

The best tone I think I've ever had...

Post by Molly »

Don't think for a moment that my phone's really captured what I got so excited about earlier this afternoon but I thought it was possibly the best sound I'd ever had (certainly closest to the one in my head). By accident rather than design it's: unpotted Bare Knuckle Mules in a R7, into the Two Rock Studio Pro 22 and Vox Blue cab. Later with The Dude overdrive.

These are first take, warts an' all.

Just for contrast same settings etc. with the Strat.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: The best tone I think I've ever had...

Post by Slowy »

Regardless of pickups, amps etc, that Goldtop is one of the best guitars I've ever played. Don't have much affinity with Les Pauls but I love that one.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

We all mistakenly fall into the " need more gain" trap occasionally, but as you've demonstrated there great tone requires good clarity. ( and a couple of k's worth of kit ) Nice. :thumbup:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote:We all mistakenly fall into the " need more gain" trap occasionally, but as you've demonstrated there great tone requires good clarity. ( and a couple of k's worth of kit ) Nice. :thumbup:
Cheers Steve. The Two Rock is pretty unforgiving so it's hard to sound fluid but what comes out is worth the effort. :thumbup:

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

got to be honest while those tones are indeed GREAT they don't jump out as anything above others I have heard

but then if it gives YOU that feeling that another great day in the tone world...NOW DON'T SELL ANYTHING MOLLY :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

willow13 wrote:got to be honest while those tones are indeed GREAT they don't jump out as anything above others I have heard

but then if it gives YOU that feeling that another great day in the tone world...NOW DON'T SELL ANYTHING MOLLY :rofl:
Hmm. Internet went down and my reply disappeared. Just to say I get where you're coming from. It probably wouldn't resonate with others the way it did with me but that's the nature of our individual tonal quests. Also doesn't help that it's just a phone stuck on top of a cab.

Would be cool to have a 'Show us your tone' thread even if all we get is phone recordings. It'd still be interesting.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

That sounds great! Great guitars, great amp, great playing, so it should sound good :D

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Molly wrote:
willow13 wrote:got to be honest while those tones are indeed GREAT they don't jump out as anything above others I have heard

Hmm. Internet went down and my reply disappeared. Just to say I get where you're coming from. It probably wouldn't resonate with others the way it did with me but that's the nature of our individual tonal quests. Also doesn't help that it's just a phone stuck on top of a cab.

Would be cool to have a 'Show us your tone' thread even if all we get is phone recordings. It'd still be interesting.
a tone thread is a cool idea.

Don't get me wrong, the tones in those clips are awesome...but not something I would use in the original music I do...but could totally lose myself in front of the amp playing it

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

I should say your thread title negates any thing I have said. If its the best tone you have had then there is nothing better in this world...NOTHING :mrgreen:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

willow13 wrote:
Molly wrote:

a tone thread is a cool idea.

Don't get me wrong, the tones in those clips are awesome...but not something I would use in the original music I do...but could totally lose myself in front of the amp playing it
Sure. It wasn't about anything more than being excited to have hit upon a tone that I was happy with but I'd be very surprised if two guitar players were ever happy with exactly the same tone. And that's cool in itself.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Yep tone is super subjective and personal. Metal heads have particular tones they love and chase (yes I watch those videos) but I hate the 'sought after' sound you get off an Uberschall etc with a passion. Anything Greg V plays gets my ears pricking up though...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

null_pointer wrote:Yep tone is super subjective and personal. Metal heads have particular tones they love and chase (yes I watch those videos) but I hate the 'sought after' sound you get off an Uberschall etc with a passion. Anything Greg V plays gets my ears pricking up though...
He does a Nocaster + Crema Wheat 5E3 demo that's just fantastic. 'ang on... This one:

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

The strat sounds nice.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

crowbgood1 wrote:The strat sounds nice.
Cheers. John Cruz pickups apparently though I couldn't tell you what he was going for with them. It's nice and light. Needs a set up though.

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

It's not just the tone but this reminds me how much I need to keep practising until I can noodle nicely like that. :oops: