sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

String Gauge Video

Post by sizzlingbadger »

This is pretty interesting, I certainly noticed the difference and preferred the sound of the heavier gauges. I currently use 9's on my Tele and 10's on my SG. I think I may try going up a gauge. Maybe my acoustic wouldn't seem like such a bugger to play too if my fingers hardened up :winky:

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Mini Forklift

Re: String Gauge Video

Post by Mini Forklift »

Yeah, interesting episode that one. I think for me - and as Mick and Dan also alluded to, it's almost not so much the sound difference it's more the massive difference in feel between gauges. I've played guitars with .008 and .009 gauge strings on and it feels so alien to what I'm used to, so as they said the gauge you choose needs to complement and work with your style of playing.

I watched that episode last week and immediately went up a gauge haha.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Some pickups sound better with thicker strings, especially p90s, quite fond of sets like 10-52's, like the big bottom end (oooerrr)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

For me the feel's got to be right. Tone difference is negligible (as best I can tell).

I had 10s on my Strat. After two weeks away I came back from holiday and immediately thought they were just too elastic. Have since put 11s on and tuned the guitar down a semitone. Don't like it. Think I'll have to find a 10.5 set and go back to standard tuning.

Top-wrapped 11s on a Les Paul seem perfect (standard tuning).

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

None of my electrics have ever had strings heaver than 10's, I'll get some 11's tomorrow.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote:None of my electrics have ever had strings heaver than 10's, I'll get some 11's tomorrow.
Jeff Beck and Billy Gibbons famously use very light strings. Malmsteen too I think uses 9s. All those guys have a great tone. Brian May as well come to think of it. I'd just go with whatever feels best.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Molly wrote:Jeff Beck and Billy Gibbons famously use very light strings. Malmsteen too I think uses 9s. All those guys have a great tone. Brian May as well come to think of it. I'd just go with whatever feels best.
Watch how Gibbons & May play, they have a really light delicate touch that is perfectly suited to the gauge they use (.008's I think). My Dad also uses .008's on a 40 year old guitar that has never needed a refret - so I guess that highlights his playing style too. Having grown up listening to and watching Hendrix, Vaughan etc I think I've developed a slightly heavy right hand that only a heavier gauge can tolerate :crazy:

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

I 've allways gone with 9's for Floyds. 10's on Strats and 11's on hard tails 12's for acoustics. Works for me.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Molly wrote:Jeff Beck and Billy Gibbons famously use very light strings. Malmsteen too I think uses 9s. All those guys have a great tone. Brian May as well come to think of it. I'd just go with whatever feels best.
Watch how Gibbons & May play, they have a really light delicate touch that is perfectly suited to the gauge they use (.008's I think). My Dad also uses .008's on a 40 year old guitar that has never needed a refret - so I guess that highlights his playing style too. Having grown up listening to and watching Hendrix, Vaughan etc I think I've developed a slightly heavy right hand that only a heavier gauge can tolerate :crazy:
Did you know that May's Red Special has never been refretted! Amazing, eh? Perhaps that's also something to do with the light strings.

I can't pick quickly on a lightly strung guitar. I need the resistance for any hope of precision (such as it is). Light strings push before they pick (if you know what I mean) and I can't do ewt with that.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

This is a great video! I'm a big fan of TPS.
While there are a few general factors re gauge for me, the real key was the slightly dodgy consistency in my playing in a live gig situation. I go between acoustic and electric quite a bit and felt that it would always take me a song or so to 'acclimatise' between the feels of them. Especially going from thicker acoustic strings to smaller electric strings I would generally find myself slightly overdoing my fretting. There are probably a few factors, strings, different necks, and just the extra adrenaline of being in front of an audience. So I went up to 11s on the LP's. Did a world of good, and to be honest I really enjoy having to work a bit harder too. Been using them for years now. There are a thousand guitarist's who use light strings and still sound mega, but a) I'm not as good a guitarist as them and b) hitting a big open E chord on a LP with 11s through a loud amp just makes me smile. And that's the point of this madness isn't it! :problem:

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

That's only the second video I've watched of 'That Pedal Show.' Last week I watched the one with Matt Scofield, where he discussed how he sets his amp up. I used his 'philosophy' with my amp, and have got is sounding really good. I'm going to try a few different things with strings and see if I can improve the 'feel' of my guitar.

The thing I've liked about their videos is that they've given me the theory behind what they're doing, so that I can go away and evaluate things for myself.

Thinking about my (LACK OF) style, I hit the strings hard with my right hand so should use a heavier gauge, but because I don't play heaps, don't have much strength in my left hand, so prefer a lighter gauge for bending. So I'm the worst of both worlds!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

AiRdAd wrote:That's only the second video I've watched of 'That Pedal Show.' Last week I watched the one with Matt Scofield, where he discussed how he sets his amp up. I used his 'philosophy' with my amp, and have got is sounding really good. I'm going to try a few different things with strings and see if I can improve the 'feel' of my guitar.

The thing I've liked about their videos is that they've given me the theory behind what they're doing, so that I can go away and evaluate things for myself.

Thinking about my (LACK OF) style, I hit the strings hard with my right hand so should use a heavier gauge, but because I don't play heaps, don't have much strength in my left hand, so prefer a lighter gauge for bending. So I'm the worst of both worlds!
There are so many great TPS episodes... and they're strangely addictive too!

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I didn't think I'd every be able to sit through an hour long youtube video, but it was quite interesting :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

I have acquired this tele with 11 on it and my others have 9s
And I do like the 9s
Tried 8s and liked that too

Pom soft skin you see
Like Jeff Becks :)
:mental:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Olderama wrote:I have acquired this tele with 11 on it and my others have 9s
And I do like the 9s
Tried 8s and liked that too

Pom soft skin you see
Like Jeff Becks :)
Call y'self a naaarthaner? Hand in ya man card!