Do you prefer time-based effects in the front end?

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Do you prefer time-based effects in the front end?

Post by Molly »

Watched this wee video and the summary seemed to be that if you're not using a lot of pre-amp gain then you might be as well to run your effects, including time-based, directly into the front end (apparently, Dave Gilmour has never used an effects loop - kind of surprises me).

Both of my amps are designed to give mainly big cleans, edge of break-up tones (though the Sky King does a nice overdrive on the lead channel) and neither have effects loops. Wondered if the thinking was that a loop was unnecessary given the emphasis on cleanliness.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Do you prefer time-based effects in the front end?

Post by jeremyb »

Never used a loop, never felt the need for one, even with multiple delays and reverbs on at once!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Hitting reverb and delay on my amp which has a lot of gain... and it kinda turned to mush. It has an effects loop but its a bit of a ball ache with my loop switcher, maybe I should investigate that again.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

gilmour has always used a very clean amp, mostly hi-watt, and uses the odd effect pedal or two ;) Never used natural amp overdrive afaik.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Pete Thorn made the point that Eddie Van Halen didn't use a loop, and used it as an aid to picking dynamics, pick harder, more delay, pick softer, less delay.
Tin arse!!

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Very much depends on your set up - if you're using your amp's preamp overdrive/distortion then you might want to use a loop. I've found delays before any OD at all are compressed/boosted by the OD and it becomes a game of match-the-level. But then again somebody like The Edge somehow does it all into the front end of AC30s, which he's not using as a clean platform.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

So long as the delays come after the drives, I think you can get away without a loop. Loop is useful with a multi-channel amp where you switch from clean to dirty, because the same settings for delay and 'verb pedals in the loop will work with clean or dirty sounds from the amp, rather than completely overwhelming the drive channel with mush--as noted above.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I run amp on the edge of getting dirty and I like both delay and reverb in front, it's a touch more interactive that way. But for the cleanest, most pristine FX, the loop is better. Depends very much on your style and the sound you're trying to achieve.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

I cant say I prefer time based effects on the front end but depending on how they are used, they have sounded a bit deeper and clearer. Only really found this with the big sky and my TC delay. This mainly makes a difference with big halls with large decays and long delays. With that said, front end (after OD etc) sounded just fine to me and this is really just bedroom tone lovers alone time kind of stuff. The only thing i have in a loop now that I felt couldn't use any other way is my EMpress ParaEQ.

So yeah, I guess its a preference in end after all, just to keep things neat and tidy and simple. Tone wise I didnt find it a deal breaker.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Tried both, and for me just keeps things cleaner (and clearer) having them in the effects loop.

Horses for courses, and that's the cool thing with pedals and everyone's individual sonic tastes. There really is no right or wrong.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

with the EVH my rack goes in the loop and pedals normally in front. I have set the katana built in ones to be in front as well
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

olegmcnoleg wrote:Loop is useful with a multi-channel amp where you switch from clean to dirty, because the same settings for delay and 'verb pedals in the loop will work with clean or dirty sounds from the amp, rather than completely overwhelming the drive channel with mush--as noted above.
You have no idea how long it took me to work this out.
I have always used a loop since.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

Using the clean channel on an old Peavey bandit Teal Stripe, all pedals through front end with dirt pedals at front of chain, time and modulation last. Why, because Im lazy and its easier to set up, I have all the pedals I need for different sounds and sounds fine to my ears.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

I've just cleaned off my pedal board and started again. I've just bought the Keeley dark side which combines a fuzz type with a delay. Works well through my Hi Watt and with a Strat sounds right on. So now just a tuner, rat, reverb, dark side straight through the front. Minimal but suits me. Great DG sounds.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

What's a loop? I looked all over my 59 Bassman, 50 watt Plexi and Supro Thunderbolt and couldn't find one. #confused.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.