Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Timing

Post by Bg »

Have spent a few weeks going back to bass. I love the precision(sic) of it and being able to push and pull the timing. It really has helped me get back to being precise in that regard!

Having played so much stuff on bass lately, its stopped me thinking like a guitarist (thankfully) and I remember how many guitarists think they can play bass by hitting roots or being a lead bass guitarist :D

just saying really, but maybe some might appreciate.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Re: Timing

Post by philly »

oh i hear you..
did some recording recently in sydney. .. guitar went great... but big name aussie bassist didnt show up ( no surprise there...)
before i'd only done live bass for a favour and some home demos
couldn't believe how hard it was ... not just the the timing on when you play the note.. but when you stop the note ... or just take yer fingers off
totally different dynamic
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Ya mean y'can't just widdle away in key and show those bass plodder blokes how it's done?!

That's my back-up plan fucked.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Molly wrote:Ya mean y'can't just widdle away in key and show those bass plodder blokes how it's done?!

Works for me when everyone gets bored and we all switch up instruments. Widdle around till you find something that fits, and then you're allowed to play that 8 times in a row! Maybe even 16!
Bg wrote:many guitarists think they can play bass by hitting roots or being a lead bass guitarist
I resemble that remark!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:Ya mean y'can't just widdle away in key and show those bass plodder blokes how it's done?!

Of course you can... if you want to look like a failed guitarist ;)

Bass playing is a lot like programming. Programming consists of repeating a lot of rather dull tasks, lots of cutting and pasting and repeating patterns. And bass playing is the same, only with drugs and alcohol.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

JHorner wrote:
Bg wrote:many guitarists think they can play bass by hitting roots or being a lead bass guitarist
I resemble that remark!
That only works if you're Hooky.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

just a different sort of microscope
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Pfft, playing bass with a guitar playing background is easy, you just stop concentrating on what you're doing and start concentrating on what the drummer is doing.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:

Of course you can... if you want to look like a failed guitarist ;)
Isn't that why we're all here? A failed guitarist support group? ;-)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

no. I'm a failed bass player, I took up guitar because of my bad timing :(

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

My timing used to be bad. Learning some Van Halen fixed it a bit. It took many hours of practice though.

Van H used to be a drummer. His rhythm playing is extremely tight. Lots of 16th notes, gaps, upstrokes and counterpoint. Incredibly tight, but never clinical like some of those who followed him.

Just to test it out, try the intro to House of Pain on 1984. Simple sounding but rhythmically challenging. Then try the break down at the end. It swings, it skids on the brink, and it is played with awesome precision.

There is very little about guitar playing that we cannot learn from Van H. The trouble is that he set the bar so high sometimes it all seems unattainable.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

werdna wrote:My timing used to be bad. Learning some Van Halen fixed it a bit. It took many hours of practice though.

Van H used to be a drummer. His rhythm playing is extremely tight. Lots of 16th notes, gaps, upstrokes and counterpoint. Incredibly tight, but never clinical like some of those who followed him.

Just to test it out, try the intro to House of Pain on 1984. Simple sounding but rhythmically challenging. Then try the break down at the end. It swings, it skids on the brink, and it is played with awesome precision.

There is very little about guitar playing that we cannot learn from Van H. The trouble is that he set the bar so high sometimes it all seems unattainable.
VH is a master of timing. For instance, the main riff for Hot for Teacher he plays slightly ahead and slightly behind the beat in the pattern to accentuate certain parts of it and make it really boogie. Like you say, he makes it sound so simple...
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Danger Mouse wrote:
werdna wrote:My timing used to be bad. Learning some Van Halen fixed it a bit. It took many hours of practice though.

VH is a master of timing. For instance, the main riff for Hot for Teacher he plays slightly ahead and slightly behind the beat in the pattern to accentuate certain parts of it and make it really boogie. Like you say, he makes it sound so simple...
This is great news for me, I'm always ahead of or behind the beat...
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Sometimes i think bass is more like playing drums than guitar.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

I am working out "Since I've Been Loving You" by Led Zepplin

It's a minor blues in 3/4 time
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish