Is there anything in your playing you can call your own?

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Is there anything in your playing you can call your own?

Post by null_pointer »

foal30 wrote:Give me a lifetime ban from all Guitar forums but I still look at Hendrix's biggest influence as being Little Richard
Well the mo at least...

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

null_pointer wrote:
foal30 wrote:Give me a lifetime ban from all Guitar forums but I still look at Hendrix's biggest influence as being Little Richard
Well the mo at least...

Nah I think you should be allowed to hear who you hear in terms of influences in other peoples playing. For instance I regularly get big hits of Billy Gibbons in more bluesy Joe Satriani stuff, but it's not something it seems a lot of other people hear.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I used to hear Nana Mouskouri in my playing, then I got laser eye surgery and it faded.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

null_pointer wrote:I used to hear Nana Mouskouri in my playing, then I got laser eye surgery and it faded.
Spooky... The very first thing I ever learned on guitar was the opening melody to Never on a Sunday.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I used to get comments about "fluid" sounding playing, mainly because I used heaps of hammeron/pulloff but I sound clunky through no practice now.

I do like to do a massive slide into a bend, which sounds a lot different to either just bending or just sliding up to the same note. But i don't think I can claim to own that.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Delayman wrote:I used to get comments about "fluid" sounding playing, mainly because I used heaps of hammeron/pulloff but I sound clunky through no practice now.

I do like to do a massive slide into a bend, which sounds a lot different to either just bending or just sliding up to the same note. But i don't think I can claim to own that.
I'm very fond of semitone and minor third bends (the former stolen from Clapton's Edge of Darkness and the latter from John Sykes). Again, not really something anybody could lay claim to.

I do have a sequence where I tap a diatonic scale with my right hand and play pentatonic with my left. I originally did it so I could tap in-key. However, it doesn't have that 'floating' thing to it probably precisely because it is in-key.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I don’t know what any of that is. :D

People are sometimes surprised when I tuck the pick into my hand and go to fingerstyle really quickly. Is that normal?
Bonus round: I tend to really pop single notes out when I’m playing fingerstyle. Index and middle + thumb. Guess that’s the knopfler showing through.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.