Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

fooey
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

That Dam Pinky

Post by fooey »

When im picking i tend to rest my pinky on the side of the e string, or on the guitar itself if im playing the e string. It feels stable to me and its how ive always done it.

Started doing little exercises yesterday picking without touching the guitar with my picking hand, was pretty gammy since im not used to it.

Should i keep practicing this new technique? or is the rest the pinky technique fine and not going to limit me in the long run?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Whatever works for you. Most new techiques, if you stick with them, turn out to be a useful part of your arsenal at some time. I'd say stick with it and use both methods at differnt times.

In general, I use my bridge as a rest and pivot point for my picking hand. That also allows me to quickly mute individual notes to suit.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

fooey
Stagg
Stagg

Post by fooey »

yeah i have the whole open strings background noise going on at the moment. Working on it :D

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Rog wrote:Whatever works for you.
I totally agree with that philosophy. I've seen some insanely fast guitar players who anchor their pinky or other fingers on their picking hand on the body of the guitar, and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm :wink: As long as your picking hand, wrist and forearm are relaxed (at any speed) when you play, where your fingers on your picking hand are placed on the body of the guitars or the string isn't really all that important IMO.
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

People who don't anchor with their fingers generally do have some part of their hand as an anchor - generally the side of the hand on the bridge.

Guys with awesome technique who don't anchor with their pinky: Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Andy Timmons, Yngwie (I think)

Guys who do (or did): Jason Becker, Shawn Lane, Michael Angelo

As others have said, it really doesn't matter too much. I tired to stop anchoring with my pinky a while back, and it was awful. ... So I started again ;)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

yeah, whatever works is all good. besides your playing / style will no doubt evolve before you know it... i used to anchor my ring finger on the guitar body while picking... it worked at that stage of my playing level, but now as i've moved on to (trying) more technical stuff, i've sorta dropped the whole thing without even noticing it.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Optimus_prime
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optimus_prime »

I started working on my pinky a
little while back, made me feel like
a better player, didn't sound like it though

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

haha just tried not anchoring, impossible finger picking, can do it with a pick tho, perfer not to tho.
success is fleeting, but artistry lasts forever.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Actually when finger picking I don't anchor; I do the classical claw-hammer sort of thing. I find that works better for me 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Hmm.. I never really took notice of what my pinky was doing when I was playing...looks like the position varies with what I'm playing at the time. Picking chords it sits as an anchor just below my middle pickup. Fast solos its out of the way and my palm is resting on the bridge to mute strings. Rhythmic clean strumming it kinda floats and flails around.
Of course most of my stuff is heavy palm-muted riffing, for this of course you must use IRON FISTED DOWNSTROKES.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I dont touch the guitar with any part of the hand, unless I'm going for some kinda of muting. In that case I'll use the knuckle of the pinky on the string I'm using, or the whole palm on wherever.

I don't understand how you can achor a finger while playing, that would mean your hand would hardly move. I'm all about the maximum movement :)

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

When I first started out very early on I used to anchor but I then changed and now only touch the guitar with my right hand if muting the strings on the bridge.

universe
Stagg
Stagg

Post by universe »

i do find my pinky is best for picking my nose, i generally prefer the outward twist style

i anchor my pinky solid when i fingerpick which is pretty effortless though of course i am fingerpicking minus one finger which is technically limiting but am so far gone theres no way im gonna relearn 'classical' style but ah well...if you are starting out try using your pinky i guess

subconcious reference points...ive always been fascinated at how eg.i could put my picking hand on my head with eyes closed or whatever and presto pick/fingerpick any selected string...i guess your fret hand and knee etc also serve as reference points.....fascinating!