Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

my retardness haha

Post by Mike_Hosking »

everytime i go to learn a song or solo, or learn the structure of an originals solo etc etc, i seem to struggle like f#%k :( and i get it to the point where i can remember it, but only play it roughly :? and then wen band practice comes round, my hands keep up and it sounds so much better and its like i sussed the solo a week earlier, and then wen i come home, i cant play it properly again :evil: :cry: does this happen to anyone else? its REALLY starting to piss me off
success is fleeting, but artistry lasts forever.

Unfinished
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Unfinished »

it happens to me when i'm not in a band situation. If i got the beat going then it kinda helps me I think. I'm still a lost cause when it comes to guitar though.

Actually most surprising is I was learning a solo the other day for like 3 hours (i have nothing better to do, honestly) and i didn't get it. Slept over it, woke up and i'd learnt it. Magic!

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

For some reason I find I can play a piece of music better when I haven't practiced it for a couple of days. Weird.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

I often notice that. I'll go hard out and get something nearly sussed, but just not quite there, and just stop. A few days later I'll come back to it and play it bang on (or as bang on as I ever do :oops: ). In fact I think I've advocated that on here before as a deliberate approach.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Optimus_prime
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optimus_prime »

I never properly learn something

I get half way and just mould it to my own liking
then it becomes my own creation

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

OP - me too.

I aim to make anything that MUST be recognisable as close as I can - for the rest - its all Rog as I feel at the time - its unlikley to be exactly the same twice in a row.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

simon_ishtar
Stagg
Stagg

Post by simon_ishtar »

Typically I don't have to learn solos. I can usually pick up from a couple of listens whats happening, will break it into sections in my head and sweet as, will be able to copy it. As a kid I found a lot of the Steve Vai and Vito Bratta difficult to decipher.

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

normally i will just remember how the solo goes in pieces, and then just play, no solos are the same, except covers, most of them are much alike the originals, but i usally forget how to play it so i just make do.
success is fleeting, but artistry lasts forever.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Unfinished wrote:.
Actually most surprising is I was learning a solo the other day for like 3 hours (i have nothing better to do, honestly) and i didn't get it. Slept over it, woke up and i'd learnt it. Magic!
I often do that, practise something and then sleep over it. Apparently if you think about something (like playing a guitar solo) before you go to sleep it prepares you mind for it, so when it comes time to play your mind is all ready to go. My rowing coach told me about this (we had to think about rowing before we went to sleep :P) I think he read about it somewere. IMHO It works.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Yeah very much the 'bits missing' annoyance. My economy move over the years has been to identify the unchangeable/audience recognisable bits and learn them note for note (usually only a few bars long and string the rest together in the interim while working on the original (trying to get it note for note).

Sometimes it works OK other times it does not - but it does seem to slowly get better and you've allways got a fallback position if the full original 'note for note' vanishes due to memory lapses or audience nerves etc.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

I don't play covers, so I never have to learn solo's yay. I just make stuff up as I go along, and when I play something I like, then I try and play it the same the next time.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I keep grinding the crap out of my fingers at work, so I try to avoid any soloing, fretting of notes, hammer-ons pull-offs and anything with chords really.. Im learning slide guitar with my Feet.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Kristie, I just listened to your demo 'only here'. I've heard some absolute shit in my time, but that song is good. Do you like the Cranberries?
Some unsolicited opinions.
Hold on to your Drummer, He/she Rocks.
I'd lose the keyboard 'filler' and the little tapping solo you do near the end. I think the song stands up for itself without the need for added embellishment. I'd just double up the rhythm guitar track and use the keyboard for live stuff to flesh the sound out a bit.
On the other hand my opinions are pretty much worthless and should probably be ignored at all times.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

nah - tapping solos should always be kept, I reckon ;) Whether they're actually "necessary" is irrelevant :P
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Capt. Black »

I always seem to get a solo down but stuff it up again when I try it at rehearsal.

That goes for covers and my own originals.