Gabojo Kleio (stimer copy) pickup into a Fender Champ 600

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Late 1940s electric sound

Post by clubhouse »

Cool, man! What's the recording chain? I can hear a bit of room in the mic, so how far from the speaker?

You've captured that partially overdriven/distorted (mic?) sound on those old, late era, electric Django prints...even sounds like Charlie Christian, Minton's jams. What element is responsible for the break-up/distortion?...very authentic.

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by quyet »

The breakup is just from the fender champ turned up to 11 on the low input. I really dig it when it sizzles. It's recorded with my phone. The amp and speakers are about 1 meter away on either side of me.

Djangos distorted sound was from a cranked 6 watt Stimer amp. Apparently he liked to play very loud.
Last edited by quyet on Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

quyet wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:50 pm The breakup is just from the fender champ turned up to 11 on the low input. I really dig it when it sizzles. It's recorded with my phone. The amp and speakers are about 1 meter away on either side of me.
Thanks, man. I've always wondered if those old prints were recorded with the small amps/speakers distorting into mics or whether it was the mic ribbons overloading or tape saturation/distortion. Thanks for clearing that up. Great jams, man :thumbup:

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by quyet »

Overdriving amps was definitely a desired sound and intentional effect. I've read all these things about Link Wray and Chuck Berry 'inventing' it in the 50s... but Django and his contemporaries had already embraced it in the late 40s.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

quyet wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:08 pm Overdriving amps was definitely a desired sound and intentional effect. I've read all these things about Link Wray and Chuck Berry 'inventing' it in the 50s... but Django and his contemporaries had already embraced it in the late 40s.

Yeah. The 'merican media are pretty introspective. If it didn't happen in 'merica, it didn't happen at all. I read a treatise about US country music that claimed all this BS for 'merican music history (Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys, Eldon Shamblin) dismissing Django as nothing but a smalltime, flash-in-the-pan, Euro interest...nothing special :mental:

I'm actually waiting for someone to make a definitive bio-pic movie of that cat's life and music...it's a freakin' epic story in it's own right, let alone the creative genius of an entire music genre.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

much enjoyment :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.