Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 28 times

How to connect FM3 to Audio interface, DAW

Post by Bitbull »

Hey,
So I recently acquired this amazing beast and I want to understand how to connect it properly to do what I need.

At the moment I have it as my audio interface and works good but that means I don't have any other instruments or vocals etc that would normally go into my desktop audio interface (either Komplete Audio 6 or Scarlet 2i2)

Currently connections are Guitar into FM3 input 1 and Studio monitors into main outputs. USB to PC. Works great

now:

how can I connect the FM3 to act only as my guitar processor or "pedalboard" then go into audio interface without creating a double loop, and record on cubase two inputs, 1 DI and 1 with effects?

Anyone knows about this stuff?

Thanks!
BitBull

I'm John Lee Hooker in the sense that he was a blues man and he played blues his whole life. I'm a rock guy and I'm going to play rock music my whole life.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Re: How to connect FM3 to Audio interface, DAW

Post by codedog »

Sorry, I'm not much help, just commenting out of interest and previous (not exactly identical) experience.

I had this exact problem with Kemper USB Audio, Scarlett, and Windows PC. I wanted to combine both the Scarlett and Kemper to present a single set of audio I/O in the DAW. Then I can select from the full range of inputs, and everything output through the Scarlett, into the pair of monitors. I ended up running ASIO4ALL to achieve this. In ASIO4ALL I was able to aggregate the inputs from the Scarlett and Kemper. I'm guessing this will work with FM3 too? Does the FM3 have its own driver for USB audio? If it does, can it aggregate audio I/O on the PC?

I ended up switching to a Mac a few months ago. It has the exact concept of "Aggregate devices" in MacOS... works soooo much better!

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

I had my axefx 3 going spdif into the back of the clarett, which works fine standalone, but as soon as I open logic it just ceases to work. Buggered if I can figure out why. I too have a Mac though, so just gone back to an aggregate device, seems to work that way.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:41 am Sorry, I'm not much help, just commenting out of interest and previous (not exactly identical) experience.

I had this exact problem with Kemper USB Audio, Scarlett, and Windows PC. I wanted to combine both the Scarlett and Kemper to present a single set of audio I/O in the DAW. Then I can select from the full range of inputs, and everything output through the Scarlett, into the pair of monitors. I ended up running ASIO4ALL to achieve this. In ASIO4ALL I was able to aggregate the inputs from the Scarlett and Kemper. I'm guessing this will work with FM3 too? Does the FM3 have its own driver for USB audio? If it does, can it aggregate audio I/O on the PC?

I ended up switching to a Mac a few months ago. It has the exact concept of "Aggregate devices" in MacOS... works soooo much better!
I had the same experience as you. Was one small reason that contributed to me switching to Mac.

Related note: Mac Mini M2 Pro absolutely crushes 10th Gen i7 for music production. Both have 16gb RAM. Wonder if there is some truth to Apple's claim about integrated memory outperforming its paper specs.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Use the left and right outputs of the FM3 into two inputs of your interface, then you should be able to route your amps and effects to the left output only and there surely will be a way to have a non affected signal to the right output to produce the DI track?!?!?

I don't know fractal stuff at all but this is the way.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Quick bit of googling you can still do it with the fractal as a USB interface, this guy goes thru it :-)

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:07 am Use the left and right outputs of the FM3 into two inputs of your interface, then you should be able to route your amps and effects to the left output only and there surely will be a way to have a non affected signal to the right output to produce the DI track?!?!?

I don't know fractal stuff at all but this is the way.
When I asked in the Kemper FB groups I got shot down by a barrage of "Use spdif" or "use the inputs in your interface", followed by "this is the way". Frikkin unhelpful. To my mind, it's a bloody waste to stick D/A, followed by A/D, conversions in the way when USB audio is digital all the way through. I wanted to use stereo effects, which means I couldn't hijack one side to deliver DI. This may not be a problem for Bitbull, of course.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:00 am
codedog wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:41 am Sorry, I'm not much help, just commenting out of interest and previous (not exactly identical) experience.

I had the same experience as you. Was one small reason that contributed to me switching to Mac.

Related note: Mac Mini M2 Pro absolutely crushes 10th Gen i7 for music production. Both have 16gb RAM. Wonder if there is some truth to Apple's claim about integrated memory outperforming its paper specs.
I think it's a combination of integrated components and ARM architecture that gave Apple Silicon the advantage. I have the Macbook Air M2, not even a Pro. That thing is ridiculously powerful. I was tossing up between MBA and Mini. Ended up opting for the portability use case. Now I plug it into the dock, turn on the Kemper, and have full stereo goodness through my monitors!

Sorry... not helping Bitbull.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Guitar > FM3 > Komplete Audio 6 > Monitors
Connect the FM3 into the 1/4 inch inputs on the back and reserve the mic inputs for your mic / other stuff.

Then create a patch within your FM3 - the main part of the patch is normal, going to OUT1. That will be your main signal. Create a split cable off IN1 to OUT2, which will give you your DI signal.

Bitbull
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Bitbull »

Yeah I need to look into routing within Cubase. When I do output FM3 -> to inputs on the Audio interface and monitors in the output audio interface, I can either listen to the guitar, or I can listen to a playback by switching the Audio device within Cubase, which is annoying as f. won't let me have both together.
I have a MBP too, but my PC is very powerful, so I'd rather use that. Got an I9 latest gen, 128GB RAM, and a 4090 GPU.
BitBull

I'm John Lee Hooker in the sense that he was a blues man and he played blues his whole life. I'm a rock guy and I'm going to play rock music my whole life.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Bitbull wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:59 pm Yeah I need to look into routing within Cubase. When I do output FM3 -> to inputs on the Audio interface and monitors in the output audio interface, I can either listen to the guitar, or I can listen to a playback by switching the Audio device within Cubase, which is annoying as f. won't let me have both together.
I have a MBP too, but my PC is very powerful, so I'd rather use that. Got an I9 latest gen, 128GB RAM, and a 4090 GPU.
But can it Doom?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bitbull
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Bitbull »

Only when its warmed up first!
Attachments
391.gif
391.gif (806.8 KiB) Viewed 51468 times
BitBull

Bitbull
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Bitbull »

Oh, I have a MBP so can try that! how do you do this in MAc is it a setting within OSX?
BitBull

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Bitbull wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:44 pm

Oh, I have a MBP so can try that! how do you do this in MAc is it a setting within OSX?
I don't have my MBA in front of me so I can't tell you. Just google for Mac Aggregate Device, I'm sure there are lots of useful stuff for your particular version of MacOS.

Bitbull
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Bitbull »

Zaulkin wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:40 am Guitar > FM3 > Komplete Audio 6 > Monitors
Connect the FM3 into the 1/4 inch inputs on the back and reserve the mic inputs for your mic / other stuff.

Then create a patch within your FM3 - the main part of the patch is normal, going to OUT1. That will be your main signal. Create a split cable off IN1 to OUT2, which will give you your DI signal.
This looks good - but I don't know how to do it in FM3 and cubase - provided I have done the same physical connection you described what Im trying to do is let the audio interface be my main playback from my pc; i.e: when watching youtube, etc. then if i want to play guitar, the sound comes from same monitors with my FM3 processsed sound, and if i want to record, I just open cubase and record while hearing the feedback from the monitors. HOW DO I ACHIEVE THIS? and is it even possible?
BitBull