Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Uni makes for bad playing!!

Post by slash-ed »

So i'd just started practicing constantly right... maybe 20 mins a day... my alternate picking technique was finally starting to improve... then the School of Engineering throws a MILLION goddamn labs/tests/various things at me, and i have so much crap to do... haven't played really for about 2 weeks almost.

Picked up my guitar today... god my playing feels like crap!! even after 10-15 mins worth of it.

ach. this pisses me off. anyone got any suggestions/practice tips?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

pardon my honesty... but you're 12. i've avoided being remotely busy all my life up until this age...

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

You got a metronome dude? Yeah I used to hate them too, but the are so damn helpful in getting your alt picking up to speed quickly(ish).

I'm constantly trying to avoid being busy as well, any tips on that? ;)
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

TBB Flamey
Gibson

Post by TBB Flamey »

Maybe your just having a down day. I have them every now and then, I feel like playing guitar but I pick it up and my fingers don't seem to want to do anything that makes a decent sound, sucks ass. But then when I have a good day, where my fingers don't want to stop making beuatilful sounds, it makes it all the more better :D

(I'm getting sick of this login in twice business :evil: )
Live love leave eat sandwiches

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Re: Uni makes for bad playing!!

Post by Lyle »

slash-ed wrote:So i'd just started practicing constantly right... maybe 20 mins a day... my alternate picking technique was finally starting to improve... then the School of Engineering throws a MILLION goddamn labs/tests/various things at me, and i have so much crap to do... haven't played really for about 2 weeks almost.

Picked up my guitar today... god my playing feels like crap!! even after 10-15 mins worth of it.

ach. this pisses me off. anyone got any suggestions/practice tips?
I know exactly how you feel (I'm studying Civil Engineering) . I spent the break practising with my metronome building up some alterenate picking speed and nearly reaching my short term goal (16th notes at 120bpm). Then I get back from my break and get assignments and tests in all my subjects.
When I finally got a chance to play again my speed had all dropped away.

Recently i've tried to get up early and practise before classes, i'm not sure if im improving much but it's stopping me from going in to decline. I guess Guitar and Engineering study don't mix. :P

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Gelato wrote:You got a metronome dude? Yeah I used to hate them too, but the are so damn helpful in getting your alt picking up to speed quickly(ish).

I'm constantly trying to avoid being busy as well, any tips on that? ;)
not a real one, only a clicky computer based one. hw much would one cost roughly?

Lyle... i'm in Mechanical. Yeah, i did pretty much the same thing, not sure what speed i was pushing but i was just getting the mechanics (pardon the pun) of it so much better... now i feel so sloppy uch.

nightmare
Ashton
Ashton

Post by nightmare »

I've had that same problem,it may not be as heavy a load as where your at but I tend to get all this stupid homework (evil NCEA)and I don't get a good chance to practice.Of course I don't even really care about science or maths or english right now I don't want to fail but I don't care I know it sounds silly so I've decided I'm just going to just play guitar after school of course if I start failing school then I'll get serious again.

Wow I have so much on my mind eh.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Did you say school of engineering? A couple jugs of beer to loosen up should do it.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

ahh.. the age old traditions... honestly, imagine how much smarter the engineers would be if they DIDN't drink...

but in any case... that will help neither the playing, nor the workload :?

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

Hah, I'm so cunning, I'm actually of next semester going to be studying music at Uni, no more Maths and Physics getting in the way of my gutiar practice from then on :D

(Fingers crossed, as I haven't actually been accepted yet so shouldn't be gloating...)

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Gelato wrote: I'm constantly trying to avoid being busy as well, any tips on that? ;)

Lotto, my man. Lotto is the answer.
Ummm....

vacant
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 2 times

Post by vacant »

Try and take a guitar with you wherever you go, or even a ukelele so whne you have a spare 3 mins between classes you can have a quick jam, i know it sounds stupid and im not even at uni yet but if youve got it with you you'll find more time to play and just having one in sight helps as half the time your just too tired to pick it up and play but if you see it there you start wanting to play it so you finish what your doing and have a strum. Another method i tend to use is pick it up for a 10 minute jam and end up playing it for about 3 hours, really helps your playing but the next morning you're a zombie.
I've been trying to justify you, in the end I will just defy you.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

slash-ed wrote:
Lyle... i'm in Mechanical.
Nice choice, Sir.... Shame about the university though ;) :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

did somebody say engineer?

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »