Guitarist with the best tone, worst tone.

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

dylan wrote:worst - the lead player from the pixies
Different strokes and all that. I really dig the sounds that Joey Santiago adds to the pixies music.

Optimus_prime
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optimus_prime »

especially the surfy reverb stuff

Fucking heaven

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

Terexgeek wrote:Nomination for the worst tone: Baby It's You by Promises, nice rock solo but totally samick tone, thin weedy phased and chorused guitar sound. All the organic guitar elements stripped out to leave a tinny mosquito fart :P
Baby its you was a really good song:) - no im not being sarcastic. huge hit all around the world.

lol - about a decade ago some kiwi "rawk" band released a cover of it.

if i could hit the notes i would add it to the party covers repertoire, but that chorus is too high even for falsetto.

sod it - im adding it to the acoustic duo's setlist!

lionking
Ashton
Ashton

Re: Guitarist with the best tone, worst tone.

Post by lionking »

Vorbis wrote:Whats the best guitar tone you've heard on a song or instrumental?

I'll go first, Zakk Wylde, No more Tears, wins best tone.
Anything by satriani wins worst tone.

whoa now.....I agree studio wise Satrianis tone is not the best but live its awesome

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Guitarist with the best tone, worst tone.

Post by Gelato »

lionking wrote:
Vorbis wrote: Anything by satriani wins worst tone.
whoa now.....I agree studio wise Satrianis tone is not the best but live its awesome
Satriani has had a few tones on his albums over the years, none of which I've found particularly offensive. His first few albums were pretty 80's in their tone (perhaps cause they were made in the 80's :P).
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

grolschie
Ashton
Ashton

Post by grolschie »

Satriani has both ok and bad tone even within a single song. "Ice 9" being one example. However, he uses bad tone as a feature. That nasty ice-pick tone with the wah wide open was intentional. A friend once said that Satriani uses a "bastard tone" but gets away with it. "Uses" as in a tool. I guess no-one using a Boss DS-1 (bees in a can) can get a truly tube-esque tone.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Yeah I can see how one could hate Satch's tone - it does get a bit thin at times - but it doesn't really bother me as a rule. On the Andy Johns produced albums (The Extremist, Joe Satriani) his sound is better than on the ones he produced himself.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

I dislike Satch's new live tone - since going to those Peaveys, and the newer DiMarzios. However as far as the studio stuff goes, I agree he uses a wide variety of tones, for purposeful effect
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Peavy

Post by DarcyPerry »

What is it with Peavy? Look, some of my favourite guitarist mates play Peavy. I just don't get it. They kind of have a clean, thin, whole lotta nothing sound.

Unless you turn them up loud. Then it's a loud, clean, thin, whole lotta nothing sound.

Can a Peavy supporter give me some reasons for this? Am I missing something?

Darcy
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

I'll bring my Delta Blues along to the next jam, you might change your mind - 15" Speaker makes all the difference :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

They are fat and mid-rangey, and sound like satan on speed with a good metal pedal.
Have to say tho' I played a classic50 on the weekend and was somewhat underwhelmed.
The valveking sucked too. Badly.
Engl was all good :cool:
The Randall with the modular tube system rocked.
The guy at Atwaters was really helpful too.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Peavey?

Post by DarcyPerry »

bluesgeek wrote:I'll bring my Delta Blues along to the next jam, you might change your mind - 15" Speaker makes all the difference :P
Ok, I will look up what they play through...

Right. Here we go:

Early 90's played in a band with two guitarists (I was playing bass) who both used Peavey Bandit 112 with a Sheffield 12" speaker (80 WATTS?). Apparently this amp was made in the late 80's or early 90's (pre-TransTube).

Two bluesmen I played bass for in the mid 90's used big 3 channel Peavey keyboard amps. The main reason being they have 3 channels (guitar, vocal and stomp box for those solo gigs). I can't say they had anything else going for them.

Both the above amps are solid state. So maybe I'm just anti-solid state? Below is what a reviewer said of the Classic 30:
onlineReviewer wrote:Pros
Cheap, great sound, light weight, classic look

Cons
Peavey logo

The Bottom Line
Cost effective way of getting a truly good sounding tube amplifier.

Full Review
The 5150 is ok for a cheap Marshall replacement, good for metal.

But the Classic 30 is actually a really good sounding amp. It's sort of it's own thing, which is great; Peavey finally stumbled upon something good.

The amp has a sparse control set, the usual is there so I won't go into that. You have a preamp control, master volume, clean channel, tone controls.

What makes this a great amp is that you can't really make it sound "bad". This is sort of a dichotomy for Peavey, something I associate with Marshall and Fender Twins and Deluxes.

The sound has a very class-A sounding top, sort of Vox-like, but the mids are Fenderish and it has a wide and warm lowend like a Marshall. The treble tone control responds much like Fender, and again the bass is wide like a Marshall. The controls work very, very well. The bright switch doesn't do anything for me, makes things thinner, but for certain exaggerated country/telecaster sounds it might be useful.

It's fairly loud. Maybe *just* loud enough for a "Rock" band. Wouldn't work in a metal band, though the basic warm sound will make for a good reproduction device of something like a Metal Zone pedal. Perhaps hooked to a 412.

It breaks up like a Marshall at first, midrange getting saturated, but progressively the high end does the Deluxe thing where the upper harmonics get louder - which is cool. A *great* solitary blues amp in this respect.

Overall a really nice amp, seems well built. Not loud enough for metal, but everything else should work. Supreme blues amp possibly. Great value regardless, and the best thing Peavey makes IMO.
I have played through a Classic 30. Not a fan. Am I a fender amp snob? Um... almost. I love the Victoria Amps and they are just outdoing Fender at their own game. I played through a vintage 1964 Vox AC30 and it didn't thrill me but ended up using it for most of the last album because my harmonica man was using his Fender Bassman and the engineer wanted me to have a different sound.

So, Peavey...

They make good PAs right?

Darcy
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Can't reason with a tone snob.;)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

I'll bring it along in a few weeks time for the jam, you can have a play :) I'm not saying its better than other amps, but its a great Peavey amp! For the price, second hand, you'd be struggling to get such a great sounding clean amp :) The dirty channels are usually pretty naff....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

bluesgeek wrote:The dirty channels are usually pretty naff....
That's why God invented pedals though. You know? Huh? Am I right, people? Yeah?

Not too keen on the distortions on my Peavey either, but no matter seeing they only get used when I'm demonstrating to someone else how they sound .