Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

The Scarecrow wrote:The Rat itself is the most musically pleasing followed bythe Rat2, which indeed had a bit more gain
No Gain, No Pain :twisted:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Grant
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Grant »

bluesgeek wrote:yep, pretty much - though mine sounds better, must be the fingers ;) You get a huge tonal pallette from the 'Filter' control....
Oh I KNEW yours would sound better .... :lol: just wondering if it was anything like those sounds !!

Here's some more sound samples I got last night. The Ratsputin is off eBay from guys who are modding Rat2's. They sound like a real good pedal with a heap of variation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=009

Not sure where I picked up the others now, but they sound ok too.
Attachments
ratsputin.mp3
(911.78 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
rj_1.mp3
(634.19 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

Grant
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Grant »

bluesgeek wrote:keep your eye out on TM, I got mine about 6 weeks ago from there for about $100
Rats .... I missed it ..

Grant
Stagg
Stagg

More down troden Rats ..... making noises.

Post by Grant »

Can't remember where these came from last night. It was bloody late ....
Attachments
rj_11.mp3
(384.19 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
rj_18.mp3
(844.4 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
rj_12.mp3
(908.17 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Do people find sound samples useful?

I just can't get into them. I don't see how they help you decide at all.

Videos of people showing you how to use those ZVEX pedals are real cool though, real useful

Grant
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Grant »

thehenderson wrote:Do people find sound samples useful?
No they are a total waste of fecking time if you ask me ..... I just posted them to piss people off really .. :lol:

But seriously though .... yes .. if you can't get to try a pedal out, and can't get a vid of it being used ... yes its helpful if you know what its being played on, and through what amp, etc ... so you can get an idea.
Maybe some sound samples aren't that accurate ... but others may be quite good ... and help you to decide if its the kind of tone you are after ...
IMHO, anyway :wink:

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I find it useful for effects, but for pedals that you leave on that contribute to your 'tone' I find the sound samples pretty useless. just by moving the mic around you get a plethora of different guitar tones, let alone the bunch of other factors

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

bluesgeek wrote:Mines a Rat2 as is Tsukens I believe, works fine for me :) Got TMG gassing for one ;)
Mine's a Rat2, indeed, circa 1986, which I guess makes it wowrarevintagecollectible - or something ;) I haven't played thru an original Rat, but I certainly wouldn't describe the tone of the Rat2 as "thin" in any respect. Great little things.

Just beware that after 20 years of stomping as hard as possible on them, the footswitch might get a bit touchy - or maybe I just got a lemon ;)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

thehenderson wrote:Do people find sound samples useful?l
As long as they're not the sound samples of Dweezil Zappa demonstrating Peavey's abomination of an amp ... the Wiggy: http://www.peavey.com/products/demos/wiggy/ Be afraid ... be very afraid :?

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Grant
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Grant »

Tsuken wrote: Just beware that after 20 years of stomping as hard as possible on them, the footswitch might get a bit touchy - or maybe I just got a lemon ;)
Oh mate !! 20 years and it's getting a bit dodgy !!!???? someone has ripped you off !!!! :lol: :lol:

I bet there aren't too many pedals out there in working musician land or even bedroom land, that can say they lasted that long, without a bit of wear and tear ..... :shock:

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Exactly. Built like a brick samick-house 8)

Here be bloggins

Grant
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Grant »

Tsuken wrote:Exactly. Built like a brick samick-house 8)
yes well I'd rather have a wack around the ear with a wet mullet, than smacked between the eyes with one of these rodents !! :lol: :? :shock:

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Don't know if it's the same with all of them, maybe you guys could tell me

But open the vintage reissue and you'll see the switch is mounted into the board. Don't go stomping tooooo hard!

Haha, that said I've never had any troubles. Although I just leave it on the whole time at the back of my pedal board

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

thehenderson wrote:Don't know if it's the same with all of them, maybe you guys could tell me

But open the vintage reissue and you'll see the switch is mounted into the board. Don't go stomping tooooo hard!

Haha, that said I've never had any troubles. Although I just leave it on the whole time at the back of my pedal board
The Rat2 (at least the old ones) are the same, if memory serves

Here be bloggins

vacant
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 2 times

Post by vacant »

thehenderson wrote:Do people find sound samples useful?

My drummer downloaded numerous cymbal samples which is ok for hearing what he wanted to buy and all but then he went and put them on his ipod so he could just listen to them, that seems a bit enthusiastic for me especially as it is just one hit on a freaking cymbal. I guess thats drummers for ya though
I've been trying to justify you, in the end I will just defy you.