Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

SG vs Les Paul

Post by DarcyPerry »

Hey, here is a great example of 2 wicked guitarists, Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes playing SG & Les Paul respectively:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnBWPdj0_zw

Derek kicks in at about 2 mins. Warren enters the fray aboiut 6 mins in.

I like both of 'em :wink:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

yeah Mr Trucks has great tone with a bottle neck, but Warren rules with his LP ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

seems the LP has all the tone, but the SG cuts through huh. But the SG may as well be a fender to that end. Don't get me wrong, unlike some on this forum, I really like the fender sound - just seems that perhaps the SG is very much trying to bridge that gap of Xcaster to LP and ends being a little bit jack of all trades, master of none (or neither in this case). It's 'nice' but not 'wow, what tonal presence' or 'wow what cutting fat (or thin as the case may be) presence'. almost wow-less, if it weren't for the fantastic fingers bringing the sound.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I think in a lot of cases this "X guitar brings X tone" is quite moot. I mean, to a point it holds water, but most of it still comes from your fingers. And even if it doesn't, the tone of X guitar can always been modified using different pickups, different pedals, different amps. With the advent of modelling amps/effects pedals, it's even more moot - you can sound like whatever you want, using anything.

I know I sound the same through pretty much anything, imo it's fingers and dynamics that does it mostly. I pick with the grace of a water buffalo. :lol:

I must add, that SG I sold really did impress me with it's snarl and bite. It's not something that I've really ever heard from an LP before, and that's pretty cool. Hell I may even spring for the Gibson version at some point. ;)
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

well it doesn't matter what you throw at Dave Gilmour, it'll always sound like him, so I agree to an extent - but I know for sure that my old ibanez sounds a world different with the new SD pups I threw in, and a world different again from my tele, so the tone can't ALL be in the fingers - unless it's psychosomatic, and I suddenly put my tele brain in gear when playing the tele, and ibanez brain when playing the old axe, and the SD brain in when playing the new and improved ibanez - no?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Dave Gilmour doesn't count.... EMGs through 100000 effects? Anything through 100000 effects?

I reckon that would sound the same with anyone! :D :D

I guess what I'm saying is... I hear tone much more through the dynamics than the actual "sound". But pickups and all that definitely do make a difference if you're listening.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

I have to say, I've not had the chance to listen to the SG and LP side by side like that (at least not that I remember, or have paid attention ;-)), but if these two are kinda apples with apples, I really did notice more tone in the LP. I'm pretty philistine about all this stuff (I'm only the singer after all heh) but it did seem that way - at least to me. The SG seemed to but, but was thinner - more tele - the LP was fatter and more tonal - SRV strat style. again- the caveat is that - what the hell do I know? 8)
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I've seen Gilmour play a tele, straight into a Fender Twin. He still sounded great and just like himself, its worth bearing in mind that he may have 100,000 effects but they aren't usually all turned on at once. His fingers really are the key to his tone.

I think I can say also that, pretty much any of the guitars I play, I still sound like myself - and that is not a self-deprecating remark!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Can I draw an anology?

Wait for it.

Guitars are like Cars.

When it comes to performance, sure, the driver has some input. However, a Porche is still a Porche and a....

Well, you get the picture?

Of course, when it comes to my tone... it's ALL in my fingers! :lol:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

I like the car analogy - I agree - I remember when I got my tele, I very quickly likened it to my old ibanez being like the toyota corolla - always there, always reliable, guaranteed to know exactly what I'll get, but the tele comparatively is a performance car - I had to learn how to drive it differently and got so much more out of it, and could look so much more foolish in that I really am a pretty below par driver (guitarist) and have had to improve, mostly just through more gigging (no actual effort on my part - that's crazy talk! heh)
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

DarcyPerry wrote: Of course, when it comes to my tone... it's ALL in my fingers! :lol:
well at least you ain't driving a skoda :) (or pushing...)

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

wahahahahahah!

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

bluesgeek wrote:
DarcyPerry wrote: Of course, when it comes to my tone... it's ALL in my fingers! :lol:
well at least you ain't driving a samick :) (or pushing...)
:wink:
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

SG,s are just different to LPs as a Tele is to a Strat.

Somedays I like a strat sound and somedays l like a LP sound. I doubt you could say one was more "toneful" than the other.

Derck Trucks Rocked at the Clapton concert with his SG. But Eric still wiped the floor with him when he needed to. ;)

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

bluesgeek wrote:
well at least you ain't driving a skoda :) (or pushing...)
How did you know I was going to say Skoda next after Porche? :shock: