Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Sicklehut
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Sicklehut »

Porche?? ... you idiots :D
I woke up this morning and said to myself
Self what a great day it is for Rock and Roll ...

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Sicklehut wrote:Porche?? ... you idiots :D
Honky in business suit runs up to Billy T James who is holding a paint tin and brush, applying lashings of fresh wet paint to the Porche in the driveway. Honky screams:

"No, no! I said the Porch!"

:lol:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

slash-ed wrote:I guess what I'm saying is... I hear tone much more through the dynamics than the actual "sound".
I do know what you mean. Andy Timmons is a good example of this; a lot of his earlier recorded music is done direct with a Zoom, and later it's with vintage tube amps and blahdeblah... Sure, the sound is completely different, but the "tone" is absolutely him in all cases. - And that's mainly what I listen to.

... on the other hand, when he's playing through a Laney tube head and a TS808 I do like the sound a lot more than when he's playing through a Zoom ;)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

I reckon the difference between the two instuments is partially emphasised in the way they are used. Chording an LP you tend to stay down in 1st postion to take advantage of the glorious bassy sound whiel widdling lead breaks high up on the neck - SG you tend to use far more middle and uppper chord voicings to make use of it's more middly sound to cut through ie C in the 3rd position G (open d shpae slid up) in the 7th etc.

Obviously there are exceptions eg Paul Kossoff of Free would go right up the neck on an LP for chords but I reckon overall this is how they seem to be used.
You can't do THAT on stage!