sm 57's origins ???? help!

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

naphazoline
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by naphazoline »

Timi wrote: The move to China is quite recent, I would say your one was old stock. The move from USA to Mexico was in the early 90s I think.
only got mine 2-3 weeks ago (from the rockshop), and it's from mexico.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

IMO - the country of origin for modern appliances and instruments is a red herring. Standards and quality control procedures have risen to meet the market. I'm old enough to remember when Made in Japan was a slur and Made in America was a laughing point. If it wasn't made in England, it was crap.

Today, MIC is quite acceptable and a very large percentage of modern goods are made there, probably more than MIK. I can remember being surprised in the late '70s to find my HP calculator was made in the Phillipines.

Can you imagine how MINZ would seem to the world? Then take a look at Annalesia....
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Rog

Post by Rog »

The move from USA to Mexico was in the early 90s I think.
Indeed - my link has the timeline.

Ibanezdude
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Ibanezdude »

the_haunted wrote:
Ibanezdude wrote: Massively n00b sounding question, but where do you find the transformer, and how do you get to it?
It's in the handle of the mic, covered in hot glue. unscrew the middle of the mic, and you should be able to see part of it... maybe. it basically interfaces between the mic cartridge and the mixing desk / preamp.

Yussss, i have a transformer :P
A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, theres nobody home". I went over, nobody was home.

naphazoline
Ashton
Ashton

Post by naphazoline »

jeez. i hope i didn't cause any paranoia amongst sm57 owners?

Ibanezdude
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Ibanezdude »

haha, nah i've always been open to checking things, as i did get my 57 of trademe. I do wanna hear about everything which can be checked.
A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, theres nobody home". I went over, nobody was home.

naphazoline
Ashton
Ashton

Post by naphazoline »

Ibanezdude wrote:haha, nah i've always been open to checking things, as i did get my 57 of trademe. I do wanna hear about everything which can be checked.
totally understand man. no one wants to be ripped when paying out hard earned coin.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Ibanezdude wrote: Yussss, i have a transformer :P
is it a decepticon?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Rog

Post by Rog »

totally understand man. no one wants to be ripped when paying out hard earned coin
..and yet we pay taxes

naphazoline
Ashton
Ashton

Post by naphazoline »

Rog wrote:
totally understand man. no one wants to be ripped when paying out hard earned coin
..and yet we pay taxes
too true. i think i'm getting extra ripped off on taxes, and it's something i'll be looking into early next year. :x

i must own a strip of the auckland motorway after all the tax i've been stung with this year. :lol:

Rog

Post by Rog »

BTW mate - what happened to Musical Sounds in NP? I've dealt with Ryland for about 30 years... he used to sell gear from his farm in Urenui.

Ibanezdude
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Ibanezdude »

rocklander wrote:
Ibanezdude wrote: Yussss, i have a transformer :P
is it a decepticon?
Don't think so, looks like a good quality real transformer

naphazoline
Ashton
Ashton

Post by naphazoline »

Rog wrote:BTW mate - what happened to Musical Sounds in NP? I've dealt with Ryland for about 30 years... he used to sell gear from his farm in Urenui.
hehe. your showing your age a bit there. that's how i first met him. he had a shed full of gear out the back of his place, and i brought a couple of items off him. :D

as far as i know, musical services is still going, but as i don't go to new plymouth often i'm not sure where he's situated now,cause he moved shop a while back.
it's a bit of a bummer for him that the likes of the rockshop own the rights to some of the major brand names,otherwise i'd prefer to deal with
him.