k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: Robert Johnson

Post by k1w1 »

I think so to, I guess 78 rpm records and the technology of the day, and not to hijack the thread but an interesting little film made by a graduating arts student

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPrjzohMjcA

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

k1w1 wrote:I think so to, I guess 78 rpm records and the technology of the day, and not to hijack the thread but an interesting little film made by a graduating arts student

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPrjzohMjcA
here's a sample - first time is slowed down by two semitones to 89% the standard speed, second time is at the usual speed. Listen to the "got up this morning" line, it sounds like natural speech at the slow speed, but sounds squeaky and odd at the standard speed.
Attachments
preaching blues two speeds.mp3
(409.59 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Very very interesting, that is definitely what most people say would be correct (the first one) a lot of the Columbia recordings are almost in falsetto, and people have argued a lot about A or G tuning on much of his slide stuff.

Consensus seems to be the Columbia recordings are sped up. It certainly sounds more natural on the first take, the guitar and voice both but then I am no sound engineer, just listen to any RJ recordings I can, thanks mate :lol:

JD
Gibson

Post by JD »

Cool sample! Thanks for sharing. I like the slower one.
Country blues and acoustic lover.