Biyang Pedals – Don’t knock ‘em till you try them.

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 657 times

Biyang Pedals – Don’t knock ‘em till you try them.

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I just noticed a thread that wasn’t particularly friendly towards the Biyang Pedals and Steve/tonemaker, the importer.

Yes, the youtube videos sound pretty bad. Yes the japlish and CApiTaLs are bad. Yes the Biyangs are inexpensive.
However, they are good pedals, and excellent value.
I know Steve/tonemaker personally, and have tried all the Biyang pedals.

The best one in my opinion is the analog delay, followed by the analog chorus, and the OD-7 overdrive, all of which are fantastic.
The tube overdrive is also very good, and comes with its own AC power supply.
I wasn’t such a fan of the Fuzz and Distortion as they sounded a bit buzzy and harsh to my ears. (but then I’m not really a distortion kind of guy.)

They all are actually ‘real’ True Bypass, use decent quality jacks and switches, and good electronic parts.
(I.E. the OD-7 has a JRC 4556 chip, just like an orginal tubescreamer.)

The point is, they are worth a try.
I'm getting two analog delays personally.

Steve is a great guy, a single dad who works full time and a guitarist, not a businessman.
He’s taken a substantial financial risk to become the NZ distributor and he’s the kind of guy we need to support, so that there is some range of gear we can get here is NZ.

Ben

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: Biyang Pedals – Don’t knock ‘em till you try them.

Post by Bg »

always happy to have the record put straight - though Steve does need to reword his trademe ads into English, it would help :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

and perhaps build a lil bit of goodwill by posting on the forum as an 'genuinely interested in the forum' member prior to straight out advertising as the initial post would establish grounds for more credibility. the first post being advertising does often equal out and out spam which can make some of us incredulous to the claims. a bit hard to blame us for questioning (albeit harshly) the post when there's been no other posts to base any kind of faith on.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Sorry about the Chinese styl'd wording, I quickly read through the working but at the time was in a hurry to get the pedals listed before midnight that night.... I will go back and have a look. I found out about the forum from Kev77. The whole pedal business started as I was also buying vintage pedals and ran across the Biyang brand, checked a few reviews and sound samples ordered the od-7 to have a look and after myslef and a few others in town checking them were highly impressed with the sound and the build of the pedal. I have pretty nice gear IMO and these pedals are stacking up pretty nicely and actally better than some of the gear I have. Also after a few people wanting ones for thereselves I deceided to try to bring in the line as a Distributor. If they were plastic junk that was going to burn out or be worthless I woulndt bother to bring them in. I have to say I like the fuzz and chorus as much as any of the other pedals, but you would want to play a song that fits that sound. BTW I have asked the company about compressors, eq's, stereo pedals, and bass pedals, they are working on the bass gear, and at the mo do not have plans for the other pedals I would like to see but do have plans for additional gear but they will not say what yet. Just a heads up on the price of the pedals, they are nice and if they were in the music stores im sure they would go for about double what I have them listed for. Thanks Everone!!!! Oh p.s. it appears they have the chips they use match famous vintage pedals so is probably whey they sound like some of the vintage pedals, the chorus is said to have the same chips as the boss ch-2, the od-7 is said to have the same chips as the ts-9 I beleive it was said.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

bbrunskill wrote:I just noticed a thread that wasn’t particularly friendly towards the Biyang Pedals and Steve/tonemaker, the importer.

Yes, the youtube videos sound pretty bad. Yes the japlish and CApiTaLs are bad. Yes the Biyangs are inexpensive.
However, they are good pedals, and excellent value.
I know Steve/tonemaker personally, and have tried all the Biyang pedals.

The best one in my opinion is the analog delay,
Is the 'analog' delay actually analog ? A quick google seems to indicate it's based on the pt2399 digital chip, presumably with filters to make it sound lo-fi analog
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 657 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Some Bozo wrote: Is the 'analog' delay actually analog ? A quick google seems to indicate it's based on the pt2399 digital chip, presumably with filters to make it sound lo-fi analog
I don't know enough to really answer that. It's quite possible. However, it does sound fantastic, It's a really, really good sounding delay.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I have all sorts of cheap el shitto pedals alongside expensive el shitto pedals...the thing is tone and useability. The name is irrelevant. I do admit, the Bad Monkey hasn't the same lasting power as say my Green MAchine, but I still use my Belcat OD and the Daphon chorus every gig night. I'll try me a Biyang next....isn't Biyang a beer also?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

bbrunskill wrote:
Some Bozo wrote: Is the 'analog' delay actually analog ? A quick google seems to indicate it's based on the pt2399 digital chip, presumably with filters to make it sound lo-fi analog
I don't know enough to really answer that. It's quite possible. However, it does sound fantastic, It's a really, really good sounding delay.
I don't doubt it could sound good, I've heard people speak well of similar pedals, but I personally get naffed off when a manufacturer lies to me. This gadget is digital, there's no justification for calling it analogue, they could call it "classic delay" or something. OK there are names like "Tube Screamer" for something which has never been anywhere near a tube, but no one is seriously going to think there's a tube inside one of those. But if you see a pedal called "Analogue delay" it's reasonable to expect it's got an analogue chip in it.
Ironically I'm not that into analog delay, I prefer digital. I'd be more likely to buy it if it called itself Digital Delay, and didn't have the lo-fi filters :?
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

my03

Post by my03 »

sorry to dig this post out but it seems this is the only forums discussing thewse pedals in depth at the moment.

I'm thinking of getting a few biyang pedals, delay, chorus, fuzz, and overdrive, and the metal end king will probably get the pedal power to power them as well. I'm just wondering, what people's thought are on these?

also my main question is, im tossing up between chorus and delay pedals, whats the difference between the ch-7 and the ch-8? and also whats the difference between analog delay and double chip delay? finally, should i get the od pedal or should i get the otb-100pro with the tube in it? do they give out the same overdrive sounds but the otd does it better? please help me decide.

Also im thinking of running these through a fender blues junior which as you all know doesnt have a fx loop, do you think it would be a good ideal to get one of the fx loop pedals and loop all the effects through that pedal or do you think its fine since the pedals are true bypass?

Thanks guys