recommend me an amp... again

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

recommend me an amp... again

Post by jimi »

Not that I need another amp, but there's always a bit of GAS bubbling away wondering if theres something else out there that can meet my needs a bit better.

Playing in a pretty casual covers band doing mostly back yard parties and weddings.

Head or 2x12 combo
2 or more channels - one of them in the 18w marshall space, and the other like a cranked JCM800
Switchable lead boost that works with both channels
50-100w for those outdoor gigs where the 18w just doesnt cut it
reasonable power scaling for those indoor venues where the 18w can't get loud enough to hit the sweet spot

could be tempted by a modeller, but a little put off but the cost of a decent one + powered speakers, on the chance it doesnt work for me. tempted to check out the Boss Katana 2x12 too for a reasonable cost, reliable, high headroom amp, that should work well at a range of volumes.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: recommend me an amp... again

Post by GrantB »

London Pro type thing? On the 18 Watter, you could get a nice PPIMV mod done for master volume. Or, you could use something like this to go both ways...power up or down https://www.badcatamps.com/products/unleash-v2
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Yeah I'd say something like the Unleash too. Or even better, Fryette Power Station.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Sounds like the Slash Marshall AFD to me. Power scaling. Footswitchable lead boost. One channel is a JCM800, the other a hot rodded plexi. Goes to 100w should you need to play outdoors. Huge range of cool Marshall sounds.

I have one if you are interested.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Mr Davison
Squier
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Mr Davison »

There's a few Splawn models that would fit your requirements very well & are generally well priced when they (seldom) appear on the used market. New option would be Friedman :thumbup:
Sonic mayhem unleashed

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

werdna wrote:Sounds like the Slash Marshall AFD to me. Power scaling. Footswitchable lead boost. One channel is a JCM800, the other a hot rodded plexi. Goes to 100w should you need to play outdoors. Huge range of cool Marshall sounds.

I have one if you are interested.
Played Ed's one a few gearfests ago, great amp. Definitely interested, but probably not cashed up as I'd need to be.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

If you're not looking into spending much, a Marshall DSL40C would do (if you don't mind it being a 1x12" combo), or an old JCM2000 head (but you'd need to make sure it's not from that problematic period with bias drift issues).
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

I have an Unleash (2 currently) and it seems to do o.k. usual story thou, once enough grunt stops hitting the speakers the mojo diminishes. I havent done much/anything with modelling but I suspect this helps in this area.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

GrantB wrote:London Pro type thing? On the 18 Watter, you could get a nice PPIMV mod done for master volume. Or, you could use something like this to go both ways...power up or down https://www.badcatamps.com/products/unleash-v2
the unleash does look pretty awesome. Effectively getting a lead boost with a little more volume to the same sound would be brilliant, and being able to connect a 2nd speaker would mean I can just add the bellbird extension and not have to go shopping for another cab/same wattage speaker. Pretty tempted, will keep an eye out.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I had the v1 unleash. I felt it took away some sparkle. I hope they fixed it for v2.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I have a Soldano Reverbo O Sonic 2x12 that I haven't decided whether to keep or not.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

jimi wrote:
GrantB wrote:London Pro type thing? On the 18 Watter, you could get a nice PPIMV mod done for master volume. Or, you could use something like this to go both ways...power up or down https://www.badcatamps.com/products/unleash-v2
the unleash does look pretty awesome. Effectively getting a lead boost with a little more volume to the same sound would be brilliant, and being able to connect a 2nd speaker would mean I can just add the bellbird extension and not have to go shopping for another cab/same wattage speaker. Pretty tempted, will keep an eye out.
Exactly the reason I got mine, dual switchable volumes as I tired of trying to boost my JCM through the mix for solos using eq's etc. Still use it for my Jet City for this purpose also as it just makes life easier.
I did want a Fryette, but never seemed to get any support replies from them, and then I'd effectively have two tube amps to worry about when playing. The Unleash also weighs nothing, and is about the size of a 6 pack of beer.

That said, not perfect for sound (good though), and I've mentioned my grounding problems previously on the line out / effects loop etc so its not without gotchas. Bad Cat rock for support though, they even shipped me a new unit after I had issues with the first even though I brought my first off of an online store in the USA.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I have a Soldano Reverbo O Sonic 2x12 that I haven't decided whether to keep or not.
Swap for 100w line 6 and a quad? :P :lol:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster