For some unknown reason I started another 1x12 cab build, and a ported/detuned one at that!

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

For some unknown reason I started another 1x12 cab build, and a ported/detuned one at that!

Post by Reg18 »

I’ve been curious for a long time about how the Jackson Ampworks dual ported cabs might sound.
So for some reason (boredom perhaps) I’ve started building a replica.
Had it going for the first time today and I can say it does sound good! It projects very well and it sure has some punch to it.
I may experiment with the ‘flaps’? That direct the sound out the front but apart from that I reckon it’s sounding great already.
I won’t call it a dual ported cab like Jackson Ampworks do as in all honesty there has been no calculations done on my part, so I guess it would be a detuned cab?

Anyway pictures below because that’s probably the reason you clicked on the thread!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: For some unknown reason I started another 1x12 cab build, and a ported/detuned one at that!

Post by Bg »

looks bloody good!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: For some unknown reason I started another 1x12 cab build, and a ported/detuned one at that!

Post by Reg18 »

This is what I’m aiming for.

And this is how far I’ve got this week, might be tools down and kids to bed time.......until tomorrow!

Last edited by Reg18 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Ah, so that's why my champion 600 sounds so good sitting in a wall cabinet in a similar manner to this.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

H671 wrote:Ah, so that's why my champion 600 sounds so good sitting in a wall cabinet in a similar manner to this.
I’ve got a Champion 600 too and it’s really surprising how good it can sound given the right circumstances.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

looks great, pretty heavy when its done I expect.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

sizzlingbadger wrote:looks great, pretty heavy when its done I expect.
Yeah it’s not the lightest cab, I’ve got my openback 1x12
Which is a lot lighter but I kinda wanted to see if I could get a really big sounding 1x12!
If I listened to the voice of reason I would have just built a 2x12 closed back cab and be done with it, but I just liked the idea of giving this detuned thing a go.
If it all turns to custard I’ve still got enough ply left to knock out a 2x12.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Looks great, Reg. My Friedman 112 is ported too but not in the same way. Sounds great. Have you looked at Port City cabs? They look pretty cool too.

http://www.portcityamps.com/cabinets/

Nice thing about what you're doing is that it's a relatively inexpensive way of improving / modifying your tone and there must be a lot of satisfaction in the outcome.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Molly wrote:Looks great, Reg. My Friedman 112 is ported too but not in the same way. Sounds great. Have you looked at Port City cabs? They look pretty cool too.

http://www.portcityamps.com/cabinets/

Nice thing about what you're doing is that it's a relatively inexpensive way of improving / modifying your tone and there must be a lot of satisfaction in the outcome.
How is the Friedman ported? I’d love to see some gut shots.
I have looked at the Port City ones before, in fact Port City made the Jackson Ampworks cabs for them until they designed their own ported cab (the one I’m copying) so they just took the idea and made it dual instead of one single port at the bottom.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Looks great! What type of ply are you using? I just rebuilt a 2x12 to Orange specs, that thing is 400mm deep! So oversized for sure. I used proper marine grade ply at $130 a sheet. I believe the change of ply alone from the $60 cheap Filipino stuff is huge. I believe the ply is denser so it reflects the bass in a better way. No need for damping. Ply quality probably isn't as much of an issue with a 1x12.
Worked out it cost me about $300 in materials to get it all professional looking. I wasn't gonna pay $900 for an Orange 2x12 which is supposedly the best sounding cab in the biz.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

griff7628 wrote:Looks great! What type of ply are you using? I just rebuilt a 2x12 to Orange specs, that thing is 400mm deep! So oversized for sure. I used proper marine grade ply at $130 a sheet. I believe the change of ply alone from the $60 cheap Filipino stuff is huge. I believe the ply is denser so it reflects the bass in a better way. No need for damping. Ply quality probably isn't as much of an issue with a 1x12.
Worked out it cost me about $300 in materials to get it all professional looking. I wasn't gonna pay $900 for an Orange 2x12 which is supposedly the best sounding cab in the biz.
I did consider the marine grade ply but the price put me off. For what i play having a slightly lively sounding cab is better anyway, I built a 2x12 with 12mm ply once and i made it 330mm deep so it had a nice full sound but still with a bit of zing, I thought the thin ply would make it sound rubbish but it was actually really good!
I used to play in a hardcore band and my favourite cab was the Orange closed back 2x12, it just sounded so big and thick! I now play at church so my requirements are a little different. (I think the Orange is 13ply 18mm?)
Oh and as for the actual question, 18mm ply for the cab, and 12mm for baffle and back. (I went to an actual timber yard and got there higher spec stuff)

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

]First proper run through to see if it sounds ok, iPhone video never catches the sound that well but you get the idea!

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Then youtube squishes the fuck out of it for you, but it still sounds good.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

sounds great - is that your 5e3?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

AiRdAd wrote:sounds great - is that your 5e3?
Yeah 5e3, JHS Morning Glory on as well.