Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Two Fatalities

Post by Jay »

Cdog wrote:Tayda will carry them cheapish.
Indeed, $0.59 for one, $1 for shipping??? , $5 minimum order. That shipping can't be right? Right?

Will get one at Jaycar tomorrow, not ideal, but good enough for testing unit.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Once you have verified it’s the pot it might be worth contacting Catalinbread, they may chuck one in the post.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Once you have verified it’s the pot it might be worth contacting Catalinbread, they may chuck one in the post.
Pot was stuffed and a couple of other things. Put a new (Jaycar) pot in this morning and to my uninitiated ears it all works fine now. Very high tremolo frequencies sound scruffy, but I don't think anyone would use that anyway and the youtube videos seem to indicate the same.

The compressor is also fixed, again mechanical failure. Put a new footswitch in from Jaycar, expensive little things.

Slowy, all good for pickup mate :thumbup:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Thats sounds normal form memory of owning one, higher voltage supply helps.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

thanks, and yes, i only have a 9V supply so that doesn't help.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

jvpp wrote:
Cdog wrote:Tayda will carry them cheapish.
Indeed, $0.59 for one, $1 for shipping??? , $5 minimum order. That shipping can't be right? Right?

Will get one at Jaycar tomorrow, not ideal, but good enough for testing unit.
Tayda are great for pedal builds. I use them for pots, enclosures and film caps mainly. Their jacks and switches are pretty shonky however.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

jvpp wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:Once you have verified it’s the pot it might be worth contacting Catalinbread, they may chuck one in the post.
Pot was stuffed and a couple of other things. Put a new (Jaycar) pot in this morning and to my uninitiated ears it all works fine now. Very high tremolo frequencies sound scruffy, but I don't think anyone would use that anyway and the youtube videos seem to indicate the same.

The compressor is also fixed, again mechanical failure. Put a new footswitch in from Jaycar, expensive little things.

Slowy, all good for pickup mate :thumbup:
That's amazing. I was charged $85 by y'all -know-who to absolutely not fix the Semaphore.
So now there's a Wampler EGO and a Keeley Compressor Plus...... Anybody want a shootout? :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

The semaphore was quite tricky to fix... as there were a couple of faults working in tandem so to speak. The shape potentiometer had a hair crack on the copper leading to the carbon deposit and appeared as open circuit to, ahum, the circuit. Tried to solder it but no luck so new pot went in. The tremolo's other erratic behaviour suggested a faulty capacitor but not sure which one. So I resoldered all the capacitor connections and that appeared to do the trick. What did he do for $85? It took me 30 minutes to figure out what was wrong, 15 minutes to try to repair the pot and then when I had bought the new pot another half hour or so to repair.

Finding the compressor's fault was an exercise in perseverance. Once I figured out it was the switch I managed to find an exact match for the compressor footswitch at Jaycar.

I would't mind trying/comparing the Keeley please :)

I wonder if DC's unit is suffering from the same cap issues. Tis made in China and I must say it was not assembled very well, but that may have been done by the "y'all -know-who"

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

dc wrote:Weird, my Semaphore is sick too. It has a slight wobble and very low output
I suppose I can have a look at yours too while I am at it...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jvpp wrote: What did he do for $85? It took me 30 minutes to figure out what was wrong, 15 minutes to try to repair the pot and then when I had bought the new pot another half hour or so to repair.
He didn't do a damn thing.
jvpp wrote:......Tis made in China and I must say it was not assembled very well....
Disappointing considering it was a premium price product.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

When I opened it, I could see someone had been in there before.... probably assembled nicely in China and not after who ever opened it subsequently?

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Who’s the dodgy $85 bloke? I’m not gettin any richer so it can’t be me :lol:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Just picked these up from the talented and totally excellent Mr. jvpp.

THEY LIVE!!!!!!!!! :D

Thank you my friend. Both are too good to abandon and it's great to have them back!

But now I have a problem: I have a Semaphore, a Strymon Flint and a Mr Black Deluxe Plus. This is two more wobble boxes than a man needs. I will keep the Strymon. Anybody interested in a swap for one of the others?

Don't want OD/distortion pedals. DO want Muff type fuzz. Smooth fuzz is the key. I've done the fat, the spitty and the apocalyptic and they're not me. (I'm just too old according to my son)
Will also consider anything that's not reverb (got plenty).

Interested? The Semaphore is seriously versatile wobble and the Mr Black is the effects section of a Blackface Fender.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Check out the One Control I have in my pedals for trade thread. It was on my board the day of our 9 hour jam session. Smooth muff fuzz indeed.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz