meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

NAAD

Post by Slowy »

New Acoustic Amp Day: AER Alpha.
IMG_2835.JPG
IMG_2835.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4726 times
Picked this up this morning and spent a couple of hours with it. Here it is with new best mates. The real surprise was the Doozy; the big rich clean tones it produces are astonishingly good.

The mandolin sounds excellent, the Taylor sounds just like it always does, but louder. I'm expecting good things from the Eastwood electric 12 but that's in the band room and will have to wait until this afternoon.

The Lowden didn't make the cut. It certainly sounded good, but that guitar is so dynamic and 3 dimensional that amping it takes away too much. Possibly its pickup isn't equal to the task but either way, I prefer its natural voice.

I was expecting an AER to be good; I wasn't expecting it to be so versatile. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: NAAD

Post by Jay »

Congrats, AER has got to be the best! Hopefully you will still have it when I drop off the Timmy :wink: so I can play Proud Mary.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

8 string eh, didn't pick you for a DJENT guy slowy!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

jeremyb wrote:8 string eh, didn't pick you for a DJENT guy slowy!!

He can now play McGuiness Flint "When I'm dead and gone"...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jvpp wrote: Hopefully you will still have it .........
You're confusing me with Molly.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Took the things in the photo to a jam this afternoon. Thought it was going to be acoustic but we ended up with a Strat, bass, me and no drums.
It was great! The AER is amazing; from acoustic tones right through to early 50s rock'n'roll electric, its projection and clarity want for nothing.
Often wondered why I'd held a candle for one of these for a decade. Now I know :D

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

I had no idea you were a fellow mandolin player! - i got obsessed by learning mando (and banjo) around a 2010. Put in about 2 years then burned out. Love the logic of 4 strings tuned in 5ths.

Here is a recording i did during my "acoustic" phase..
10 marylou.mp3
(2.79 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Last edited by dylan on Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote:
jvpp wrote: Hopefully you will still have it .........
You're confusing me with Molly.
That's ok. You should take it as a compliment. ;-)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

dylan wrote:I had no idea you were a fellow mandolin player! - i got obsessed by learning mando (and banjo) around a 2010. Put in about 2 years then burned out. Love the logic of 4 strings tuned in 5ths.

10 marylou.mp3
WooHoo! Another track for the collection :D
I reckon I must have just about an album's worth of your songs by now. Very cool.

Don't think I had the mandolin back in the day. It was a gift 15 years ago from my mate Chris who died earlier this year.
But the first time I heard, 'Battle for Evermore' that was it. I was gone!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

dylan wrote:I had no idea you were a fellow mandolin player! - i got obsessed by learning mando (and banjo) around a 2010. Put in about 2 years then burned out. Love the logic of 4 strings tuned in 5ths.

10 marylou.mp3
Cool, is that a tuba in there?

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Nice one
In pre Bulll Kelp Surfers' days I played in an acoustic band called ...wait for it....The Strummers of Thunder !
I recall testing A LOT of amps and really the two that stood out were the AEG and the Schertler.
I think, as you point out, the AEG was rockier and able to project a little better.
Strumm-a-licious :)
Congrats

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

jvpp wrote:

10 marylou.mp3
No :) - thats my Pedulla MVP5 bass. But listening to it now it sure does sometimes sound like a tuba !
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jvpp wrote:

10 marylou.mp3
Eb or Bb?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.