Battle of The Bands - is anyone here competing?

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Battle of The Bands - is anyone here competing?

Post by The Scarecrow »

Any of you guys giving it a go?

Kloppsta and I's band is on at the Masonic this week, Friday night.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

Supposed to here in welly, but we lost track...

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I presume that's NOT the Masonic in Palmy....
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

good luck mate, I'd enter but somehow I don't think a band that plays beatles and old farts cover versions would go down to well ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Who runs the Battle of the Bands these days?

It was dear old Benny Levin in my day....
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

jae
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jae »

:D we (JADED)played battle at arc in dunedin it went off we played quite badly for us and still came 3rd behind winners EL SHLONG (metal) ,and new band SUREAL (rock)who were awesome both of them deserved thier places. The rythm section used to play with me in commercial 500 last year so people thought ther'd be this heated rivalry but theres not. look out for them at the final in Auckland plus they are moving to Welly next year.

Is run now by Intergalactic records and is international some American and japanese band in the final.
PLAY HARD OR GO HOME

jae
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jae »

Despite my praises of the bands who beat us I have a small point to make about the judging my manager having spoken to one of the judges he told her that he docked us a huge amount of points for playing a cover(i believe in a thing called love - the darkness) as there were "no covers aloud" in the competition but it clearly is defined in the rules "no more than two covers". :? We are now asking them to look into this. But we thought 3rd was quite respectable. :D
PLAY HARD OR GO HOME

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

yeah you did well to get 3rd, unfortunately they will probably take the stance that 'the judges decision is final'... sucks though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

bluesgeek wrote:yeah you did well to get 3rd, unfortunately they will probably take the stance that 'the judges decision is final'... sucks though.
I think the mindset is that covers, whilst acceptable, are not really what the judges are looking for. Our heat was on Friday night, and we got through, even though I messed up a few times (our bassist was super loud and I couldn't hear much over him, plus the PA was very dark-sounding) when i forgot a vocal cue, but it happens. I think our saving grace was that we had variety and originality - of the other two bands, one was very 8 Foot Sativa (and IMO, every song sounded the same) and the other was kinda Creed-meets Tool and all in Drop-D.

They were both pretty good musically though, and I was particularly impressed by one of his guitarists from the metal band - ain't seen fingers move that fast in a while. However, when everything is played with ludicrous amounts of gain, it becomes just a tad muddy....
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."