All ages venues in Auckland

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

michael_m
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

All ages venues in Auckland

Post by michael_m »

Hope I didn't post this in the wrong forum. Anyway.

I'm putting on a show with some out of town guys for October 1 and spent all day today trying to find an AA venue that will host it. I've asked Shed^10, the basement, the high seas, a cafe, rehearsal spaces, etc etc... and none are available for that date. This raises an interesting problem as it means my remaining options are few and far between. The question here is where else is there to go? As far as I'm aware, there are no affordable (this counts out ellen melville) venues in the central city area.

Does anyone have any suggestions to alternatives I could try? are there studio spaces I could ask?

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Re: All ages venues in Auckland

Post by Pakehendrix »

I played at a place called Zeal in Henderson...it's flash inside, though there are problems (of course) with kids drinking outside and then trying to come in.

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

Ellen Melville Hall in the city? Might be quite pricy though, played there abit but never organised anything there.
Good luck with the show, exodus is in auckland that night so hopefully not too much of a clash

michael_m
Stagg
Stagg

Post by michael_m »

Zeal's too far out unfortunately, and I've already mentioned Ellen Melville. Too expensive! :(

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

You might find a school or community hall that is suitable. They're usually pretty cheap. But then you need a PA etc...

Jezxa
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jezxa »

Is Transmission room too big/expensive? What about the usual Kings Arms or Dogs Bollix?

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Are those joints "all ages"?

Jezxa
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jezxa »

Transmission Room is.

michael_m
Stagg
Stagg

Post by michael_m »

Yes but was always too expensive and is now apparently being turned into a karaoke bar!?

Forget AA _venues_, since we all already have a fair idea of the pre-existing ones - does anyone have any suggestions that aren't specifically AA venues but can double up as one? People who own shops, etc?

michael_m
Stagg
Stagg

Post by michael_m »

bluesbass wrote:I can't see where you mention what size venue you are looking for... i.e. how many people will it hold, if you need a stage, PA etc... what time will the gig be.
Thats some important stuff to know.
Sorry, yeah I should have clarified. Would be a pretty early gig. between 4pm-8pm most likely, since it's AA and a band has another show to play that night. I'd only expect a crowd of 20-30 people, too. PA would be sorted out by us if the venue doesn't have one. Loud punk music, but I wouldn't expect the crowd would really move around too much. They're too cool for that.

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

michael_m wrote:
bluesbass wrote:I can't see where you mention what size venue you are looking for... i.e. how many people will it hold, if you need a stage, PA etc... what time will the gig be.
Thats some important stuff to know.
Sorry, yeah I should have clarified. Would be a pretty early gig. between 4pm-8pm most likely, since it's AA and a band has another show to play that night. I'd only expect a crowd of 20-30 people, too. PA would be sorted out by us if the venue doesn't have one. Loud punk music, but I wouldn't expect the crowd would really move around too much. They're too cool for that.
To be honest mate... at this late stage of the game, and for that few people I can't really think of anywhere suitable in Central Auckland.
Especially with that time slot... you'll just be late enough to creep into any venues evening customers / gig setups.
You could try the Verona (http://www.verona.co.nz/) that used to put on gigs for just your sort of thing... but I'm not sure it does anymore.

You could also try:

- Crossroads Bar & Restaurant : 2-6 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby
- Ponsonby Pool Hall : 106 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby (www.ponsonbypoolhall.co.nz)
- Grand Central: 126 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby (www.grandcentral.net.nz)

You might get lucky. Good luck!
The opinions expressed in the post above may differ from the opinions expressed by other people with different opinions.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

Pakehendrix wrote:You might find a school or community hall that is suitable. They're usually pretty cheap. But then you need a PA etc...
+1 these are usually stupidly cheap
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

BG wrote:
Pakehendrix wrote:You might find a school or community hall that is suitable. They're usually pretty cheap. But then you need a PA etc...
+1 these are usually stupidly cheap
Very true, but not a lot of these in the central city area, which is where I understood the OP to be looking :?
The opinions expressed in the post above may differ from the opinions expressed by other people with different opinions.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Hey Michael. You came in and chatted to me about this at the Manor the other day. I have to agree with bluesbass here. To be brutally honest, if you're only expecting 20-30 people, why bother?

A more constructive suggestion might be... Why not get the bands you're trying to organise this gig for to get together and do a schools tour? Doesn't need to be many schools. But you could do a lunchtime gig and at a buck or two a head, make a killing and play to a few hundred kids who don't have to find their way to a venue cos they're already there.
Some phone calls and a little bit of organisation and you're there man.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I don't know if you could fit 20-30 people into any of the rooms at The Manor, but you could in the big room at Clockwork.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand