The Feelers Gig @ Paraoa Brewing 6th August

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: The Feelers Gig @ Paraoa Brewing 6th August

Post by Danger Mouse »

He's certainly got a reputation for being a bit "difficult". My brother had an altercation with him a long time ago when he was living in Chch and the band were just starting to get big. Long story, but the words "massive" and "cock" could be used in a way to describe James.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:19 pm He's certainly got a reputation for being a bit "difficult". My brother had an altercation with him a long time ago when he was living in Chch and the band were just starting to get big. Long story, but the words "massive" and "cock" could be used in a way to describe James.
Many of us would like to be known for having a massive cock, not so many for being a massive cock :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:30 pm
Danger Mouse wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:19 pm He's certainly got a reputation for being a bit "difficult". My brother had an altercation with him a long time ago when he was living in Chch and the band were just starting to get big. Long story, but the words "massive" and "cock" could be used in a way to describe James.
Many of us would like to be known for having a massive cock, not so many for being a massive cock :rofl:

Certainly wasn't the former.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

James was very sober for the whole 2 hours 9pm - 11pm the whole gig, singing and playing his LP Custom and entertaining the crowd of about 500 ish? it was really a great night!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

KNNZ wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:57 pm James was very sober for the whole 2 hours 9pm - 11pm the whole gig, singing and playing his LP Custom and entertaining the crowd of about 500 ish? it was really a great night!
Thats great, glad he's back on the wagon!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Understatement, in my personal experience... total POS is a better description. I had a run in with him about 20 years ago when he used to frequent a local Ponsonby bar where my mate was the bartender. Took my rather fine lady at the time who was about 19 or 20 and saw old mate from the Feelers there, had a bit of a fanboy moment as was a fan of the band up until that point. I went to take a piss and came back to find him trying to cut in my girl, who was having none of it when he got a bit hands-on. Tried to interlude on things by coming in to intro myself and he got boisterous fast before the situation was defused by Greg Johnson, who was also a local at that bar (and in comparison, a bloody nice guy) before it turned into a biffo. At one point though, he literally told my girlfriend to "ditch the schoolboy" (I was 22 or 23 but looked all of 12) and come home with him for a bunch of descriptive activities I won't repeat.... nearly went to drop him at that point (I suspect he has a gin-fueled-glass jaw) but common sense prevailed and we left, despite him heckling us the entire way out.

Ironically, a few weeks later, I was at the bar having a drink after work with my bartender mate and he appeared again, clearly more sober and with no obvious memory of fact that I could tell. Seemed really surprised as I refused to shake hands when he went to introduce himself as he clearly saw I knew the bartender/his booze supplier. Didn't remember a thing. I decided to exit to avoid any drama but I saw him there several times over that period, always in some degree of inebriation and often lurking around attractive young women.

I wondered if his antics were just a one off, but over the years I've heard about his boozed performances / arguments with crowds and I know at least 2 other women who would confidently call him a 'creep" for all that implies . Totally put me off the band, although I have met two other members through gear sales over the years and they were good guys, so I know who the rotten apple is.

Reckon I could have taken him though :thumbup: :lol:
Last edited by The Scarecrow on Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

Supersystem is a pretty decent album and Pressure Man is an underrated NZ tune IMO. Returning (and sober) bands from the early 2000s is a positive sign for live guitar music in general, too.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

hercules wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:15 am Supersystem is a pretty decent album and Pressure Man is an underrated NZ tune IMO. Returning (and sober) bands from the early 2000s is a positive sign for live guitar music in general, too.
Maybe I'm jarred by personal experience, but I put these guys in the same camp as an artist like Michael Buble ... come out of hibernation once a year to run a nostalgia tour and relive the glory days/ride on legacy. For the fans that want that, all good. Here's hoping JR has got his act together these days for the sake of said fans.

I liked the Feelers back when they dropped Pressure Man around '97 but they were pretty much eclipsed for me by more interesting artists around that era like Dead Flowers, Breathe and the epically underrated Weta.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

I never caught Breathe live ( in fact I can’t actually remember who they were) but Dead Flowers and Weta were fantastic Rock bands
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

I can’t remember any issues with James or the other lads

Yes James is known for liking the drink.

As far as I can recall a lot of Feelers grief was:
- the music is rubbish
- every station is playing Venus
- the Feelers got ahead by self-financial (rich parents)
- they supported National
- that RWC cover song

Now as standalone issues that’s manageable but all 5 together is a hard draw for credibility in the NZ Music scene😂😂😂😂

Anyone remember www.nzmusic.com

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

foal30 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:30 pm I never caught Breathe live ( in fact I can’t actually remember who they were) but Dead Flowers and Weta were fantastic Rock bands
They disbanded early 00's after their last album, Don't Stop The Revolution, which is on Spotify still. They were a bit more pop like many bands of that era i.e. stereobus, betchadupa but wrote some great tracks. Their first album Pop Life is a better listen in my opinion.

Saw Dead Flowers open for the Feelers at a south auckland pub in '99, got me into them.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

I’ll have a listen, cheers

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

foal30 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:37 pm I can’t remember any issues with James or the other lads

Yes James is known for liking the drink.

As far as I can recall a lot of Feelers grief was:
- the music is rubbish
- every station is playing Venus
- the Feelers got ahead by self-financial (rich parents)
- they supported National
- that RWC cover song

Now as standalone issues that’s manageable but all 5 together is a hard draw for credibility in the NZ Music scene😂😂😂😂

Anyone remember www.nzmusic.com
To be fair, at least 4 of those points get scored against most North Shore AKL bands of the last 20 years 😉

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

To me, The Feelers have been NZ's version of Maroon 5. Started off as a rock band that translate well in the pop market and then sllllooooooowwwllllyyy edged more and more into the pop rock.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

jhyang549 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:13 pm To me, The Feelers have been NZ's version of Maroon 5. Started off as a rock band that translate well in the pop market and then sllllooooooowwwllllyyy edged more and more into the pop rock.
Saw Maroon 5 a few years back with an ex. Had low expectations, but they were all highly competent musically and they had more of a rock vibe akin to the Killers live. Their lead guitarist James Valentine is quite a good player.