Joe Satriani

CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Gelato »

Like the others said, the concert was AMAZING! I was expecting to be totally blown away, but that doesn't even begin to cover how totally floored I was by the show 8) Satch was as on form as is humanly possible, his legato was blistering and command of feedback and his effects were superb.

I really liked the sound of the JSX amps as well :wink:

As for the 7 string, it didn't look entirely like a standard JS body, especially the way the bridge was closer to the end of the guitar than any of the 6-string models I've seen (and certainly more so than any of the other gats Joe played :? ). Anyhow, it looked and sounded great :)

I must have a chrome boy guitar...... :twisted:

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

ash wrote:I asked one of the MW backstage guests about the 7 string. He said he "chatted to Joe"" about them. There were 2 and they were normal JS bodies with RG 7 string necks fitted and Fred/Joe/PAF 7 string pickups installed. They were made by the Ibanez Japan custom shop. Some of the things he said didn't make sense, so I think he might have been making some of it up as he is inclined to do.
I figured that wouldn't be too hard to do, since the pickups come in 7 string versions, as does the Edge trem, and Ibanez do 7 string necks and nuts 8)

Kloppsta, that was indeed us. My mate from school was getting us drinks. I keep telling him to pull out his guitar and join NZGuitars, and I think the concert might have inspired at least the first of those 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Gelato wrote:
As for the 7 string, it didn't look entirely like a standard JS body, especially the way the bridge was closer to the end of the guitar than any of the 6-string models I've seen (and certainly more so than any of the other gats Joe played :? ).
Ibanez 7-strings are usually a longer 27" scale, so with the neck bolted on at the same place, the bridge has to be further down the body, as you so keenly observed. That means a simple converted 6-string body won't work and was one of the odd things he mentioned that made me think my source was full of shit.

I must have a chrome boy guitar...... :twisted:
Unfortunately the chrome boys don't have a basswood body, its luthite, which is Ibanez's fancy name for moulded foam resin. A friend in Rotorua has/had one and said it sounded shit compared to his basswood bodied one.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

ash wrote:Unfortunately the chrome boys don't have a basswood body, its luthite, which is Ibanez's fancy name for moulded foam resin. A friend in Rotorua has/had one and said it sounded shit compared to his basswood bodied one.
Is that the same for the ones Satriani plays, or just production models? Maybe that will be one that I buy and put in a glass case after I win Lotto... :wink:

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

Gelato wrote:
ash wrote:Unfortunately the chrome boys don't have a basswood body, its luthite, which is Ibanez's fancy name for moulded foam resin. A friend in Rotorua has/had one and said it sounded shit compared to his basswood bodied one.
Is that the same for the ones Satriani plays, or just production models? Maybe that will be one that I buy and put in a glass case after I win Lotto... :wink:
I'm sure he said on the san francisco dvd that his was wood. but they had issues trying to chrome wood without burning it.
AFK.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

I heard that the chrome one(s) he has now is luthite. I also have read that they cancelled production of an early model because of problems with the chrome, which would certainly be apparent with a wood substrate. The big issue with wood is that it moves, and chrome is too brittle to survive the movement.

I have seen chromed wood bodies on the internet, so maybe Satch has a wooden one too.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

ash wrote:I heard that the chrome one(s) he has now is luthite. I also have read that they cancelled production of an early model because of problems with the chrome, which would certainly be apparent with a wood substrate. The big issue with wood is that it moves, and chrome is too brittle to survive the movement.

I have seen chromed wood bodies on the internet, so maybe Satch has a wooden one too.
yeah his first one (well first one that I saw) had imperfections in it. thats the san francisco dvd one. wether that was wood or luthite I'm not 100% sure.
AFK.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Sicklehut wrote:Yes ... awesome night .. being in front of the PA speakers on the left probably account for the loss of hearing for a while after the show :)

I love the look and sound of the 2 JS Amps he had there ... sounded also wicked when he was doing the soundchecks earlier on in the afternoon

Very shy and soft spoken guy in the flesh when he came out after the show :) Probably completely knackered after playing a 3-hour set ! :D
Hold on! .... re-read this. You heard soundcheck?

You MET him?!?!?!??!?!?! WTF??!?! :shock: when where how why? :?
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

szukalski
Stagg
Stagg

Post by szukalski »

Satch, satch, satch. What a man.
I thoroughly enjoyed that concert, the jam set was just awesome.
If I can find a bootleg copy of "Bamboo" I'll be in heaven.
The only disappointment I had was the lack of drum and bass solo's.
You may have heard me yelling "drum solo" from near the sound desk.
(You may have also heard me yelling "Samick" as well.. I was the guy in The Flower Kings shirt)
But... omg.. satch... will you be my daddy?
Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar
95 Ibanez RG30 US Custom - 77 Ibanez 59er Deluxe - 97 PRS McCarty
Carvin Legacy - Jansen 620

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

szukalski wrote:The only disappointment I had was the lack of drum and bass solo's.
Yeah, thought there might be at least a drum solo.. Dont know how much soloing could be done with a bass so low that you have to play with your thumb :? It's not like it was Stu Hamm or anything :wink:

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

So who was on vocals?
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

I talked to another of the MW roadie/guests today. He said the two amps you could see on stage were just for show or backup if need be. JS and his other gat weilding pal had one amp each off stage. I doubt its possible, but I'll see if I can "borrow" a JSX for the Sunday thing.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I saw him play here in 89. It was good. But he had hair then :)

Sicklehut
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Sicklehut »

Now he walks on stage looking like Vin Diesel ... :D
I woke up this morning and said to myself
Self what a great day it is for Rock and Roll ...

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

philipnz wrote:So who was on vocals?
Vocals??? Real guitarists don't need vocals! :wink: