Moderator: Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Review of the Kemper Profiling Amp!

Post by slash-ed »

Yeah, it's a disadvantage. The hardware is there though obviously, but according to Kemper the philosophy is to still treat as an amp, rather than your complete audio interface. So it seems unlikely that they will put out firmware to make this happen :(

Trust me, was very puzzled when I first plugged the USB port in and nothing happened! :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Review of the Kemper Profiling Amp!

Post by xCaptainx »

yeah I double checked the kemper forums and the Kemper guy himself said that the hardware is not designed to ever support streaming audio via the usb port.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Review of the Kemper Profiling Amp!

Post by slash-ed »

Haha man, once enough people bitch about, I wouldn't be surprised if v2.0 has it!

They also currently lack a GUI software interface, which can make wading through presets a bit difficult.

But again, insane magic sound copying! Helps even it out I reckon, hah.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Br00tz producer on the Kemper
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1zI6pE ... re=related[/youtube]
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Now with rackmount!

Also, the original link is dead as RS have sold their KPA, so I've put up the blog post here: http://sixstringsamurai.co.nz/2013/01/1 ... rackmount/

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

Ooooh! That looks damn tempting.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

FARK that looks mean, I love their scifi design aesthetic!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

I like it too, I think it works much better in the rack form factor than in the oscilloscope format.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Powerhead

Post by slash-ed »

Guys, Kemper have just announced an INTEGRATED POWERAMP for the KPA! It's called the Kemper PowerHead.

I've updated this link with the press release!!!! http://sixstringsamurai.co.nz/2013/01/1 ... rackmount/

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Played one in BKK last saturday. Hecka impressive, and that was without the Ampfactory profiles. Definitely something I could use.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by bobiron »

These look cool alright, saw an ad for them them stated "I am not a Modeller"(as if that is some dirty word), "I am a profiler", probably sales bollocks, but the difference is lost on me. Is there a real difference between modelling and profiling? Of course profiling sounds sooo much better than modelling....
OMM OM MM OMM MM

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Had mine for about a year now and although the honeymoon phase is definitely over Im still surprised by this thing everytime I play around with it. If you closed your eyes you would never know your not playing a real amp.

Theres some great websites out there, namely The Amp Factory doing great profiles. I bought some profiles of David Gilmours ACTUAL Hiwatt for about £5. It sounds the tits. Thats the difference between modelling and profiling. With modelling your doing as best you can to copy the sound. Profiling literally copies the sound.

Kemper have just announced at NAMM an editor/library software which should make things more manageable. All I'm really waiting on is a dedicated foot controller. The fcb1010 gets the job done buts its certainly a hassle plus its ugly as sin!
Loving it so far

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Have you got the uno4kemper chip for the FCB1010? It couldn't be easier to setup once you have it. Although the FCB will always feel a bit clunky.

Also while the TAF profiles are excellent, so too are the Soundside ones. I think you and I need to catch up to see what cool profiles we each have! (I've had little luck profiling my own amp but that's because my miking skills are shit - I need to rent out a studio and engineer for a couple of hours)

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Yeah really need to get the chip for it! Where did you order yours from? Would be very cool to swap a few profiles, I havent checked out the Soundside ones yet. I havent had any other bit of gear where after a year Im still learning heaps about it and still interested. I find I use between 5-10 profiles mainly and just keep tweaking away.

Also did you find that the Ground Control from VL didnt work so great with the KPA? Im pretty sure thats what the other guitarist from QOTSA uses so it got me interested.
Loving it so far

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Kiwiaxe wrote:Have you got the uno4kemper chip for the FCB1010? It couldn't be easier to setup once you have it. Although the FCB will always feel a bit clunky.

Also while the TAF profiles are excellent, so too are the Soundside ones. I think you and I need to catch up to see what cool profiles we each have! (I've had little luck profiling my own amp but that's because my miking skills are shit - I need to rent out a studio and engineer for a couple of hours)
That's the thing though. You're not really profiling your in the room amp. You're profiling your mic'd up amp, as it would sound through a PA or a recording. Bad mic placement and all. :P