Other
24%

Total votes: 17

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Red Fred »

Pennywise are a huge influence for me, they are the band that got me into punk music and they are still one of my favorite bands. :D
But yeah alot of old stuff really gets me such as the Misfits, Black Flag, The Damned, The Stooges, Sex Pistols, Suicidal Tendencies. All of those bands I love.
However newer bands like NOFX, No use for a name, Strung out, Pulley, Rancid, Propaghandi and of course Lagwagon!!! Best melodic punk of the modern age fricken awesome!! :twisted:

Those bands are also really great so yeah, this whole are you a punk etc thing really pisses me off though. I have met soo many girls that dress like punks and stuff so I get talking to them and they don't know any punk bands yet have the cheek to tell me I'm not punk. Right some people just don't get it, to me punk is about the music and th influence it has not looking like a fisherman's catch....

stewbaby
Stagg
Stagg

Post by stewbaby »

bluesgeek wrote:other - stranglers, the damned, siouxsie and the banshees, x ray spex, the adverts, joy division, sham 69.... so many ;) I started out in a punk band back in 1979 at the grand old age of fifteen...
Stranglers "Rattus Norvegicus", The Angels (OK, technically not punk, but their first album was) and the Clash have been the only punk albums I've ever bought.

Modern Punk "Funeral for a Friend", "Give up the Ghost", "AFI" are the punk bands my son is listening to right now.
Stewbaby

All your guitars are belong to us!

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

Argh how could I forget AFI?! :shock:
The album Sing the sorrow is amazing. Face to face are another poppy type punk band, most willhate them though.

Champers
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Champers »

ratfink wrote: (greenday) they're not really punk I guess, more "power pop" or something..
this begs the question, what actually makes something punk as opposed to power pop or anything else? i have real difficulty trying to put bands into different genres.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Yeah, I have a long standing challenge for anyone to give me a watertight definition of what constitutes Punk, Rock, Jazz or Country music.

No one has yet named any undisputable, measurable criteria for those categories...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Ash - I agree.

At the FDP, people have been trying to edumicate me for years about the difference in genres, but I've posed the same questions as you and there is simply no agreement...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

One thing to say:

I AM AN ANARCHIST! I AM THE ANTICHRIST!

Get the picture?
More HairMetal than the average Bear!

Mantermite
Widdle-widdle weeoorrr

Post by Mantermite »

DrRog wrote:> N'est pas?

Damn have they changed that also?

Used to be 'n'est ce pas' when I was at school.
I guess its all soooo last century...
Hey my spelling is 10 years old now too.
Got it from a French exchange student he said just to not bother with the middle bit, sort of French slang.
Plink Plunk. Aww Fawk it. Plink Splink Splunk. Nuts... Schwing doodle whiiz wee clunk. Ouch fingers cold...
"Stalks off and glares at guitars from the corner of the room"

Dork.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

ash wrote:Yeah, I have a long standing challenge for anyone to give me a watertight definition of what constitutes Punk, Rock, Jazz or Country music.

No one has yet named any undisputable, measurable criteria for those categories...
Absolutely. Personally I feel "punk" is stuff like the Sex Pistols, the Ramones etc. Newer so-called punk bands now just don't seem to be very much like that at all - well, the stuff I've heard anyway, which I guess is the more commercial, "pop-punk" stuff. No that I've mentioned it, wtf is "pop-punk"?! :? Surely pop is the antithesis of punk, so how the hell can you be both? :? W3rd.

The thing that gets me is "R&B" - because what is nowadays called "R&B" is soooo not what I'm used to calling R&B. I've had it clarified for me though :P The older R&B was of course, Rhythm & Blues. Nowadays, it's Rubbish & Bullshit :lol: - which solved my dilemma; there being no rhythm, and certainly no blues in modern "R&B".

I just get totally lost with the emo, screamo, drano... :P hip hop, trip hop, drum'n'bass... whatever. I can't even recall any more of the terms, but it just gets ridiculous. (And most of it's shit anyways ... :roll: )
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3923 times

Post by Bg »

absolutely agree on the R'n B thing - can't believe what the genre they are saying it is nowadays. For me, the genre is epitomised by that chicago rhythm and blues style as per the Blues Brothers versions of Soul Man, Sweet Home Chicago, Green Onions etc etc
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.