Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3924 times

Re: Line6 M13 Review

Post by Bg »

xCaptainx wrote:
BG wrote:Best way I found for tweaking was to play something into the looper, let it loop and then bugger around tweaking to your hearts content, or you get sick of the riff playing back forever. Its a doddle ;)
:shock: haha I didnt even think of doing that, that's AWESOME :lol: I've got a feeling I'm going to be turning to our practise room a few hours earlier than everyone else to tweak at gig/stage volume, haha. Seriously that rules.

I'm really excited about the overdrives to be honest. I want this to replace my current overdrive (which I'm using more as a signal boost than anything, the drive is on near zero) so I'm really excited about the EQ/Vetta EQ options as well. I was toying with the idea of getting a clean boost at some point, so the variety on the M9 is perfect. ALl the reviews I've ready of the current firmware update have said that the new drive updates rule.

Plus I was GAS'ing for a whammy a while ago, this does that as well.
Yeah it works a treat :) I spent a happy hour or so in the manor just tweaking the overdrives.... and don't forget to try 3 whammys all linked to each other for that ear shattering 6 octave high note :eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

I guess it's my turn!

Executive summary: Good for everything except drives. Sacrifice sound quality for convenience...but it's a whole lot of convenience!

I bought BG's M13 off him a while ago and only really got around to using it for gigs in the last couple of months. It has done a pretty good job as a convenient full pedal board replacement. Being in a regularly gigging band, it's really nice to be able to get that many sounds with such little set up time, light weight and (relatively) small size.

So yeah, lots of sounds...but are they any good?

Well some are and some not so much. Because I'm quite lazy, I've only really explored the stock standard sounds that are required for a covers band. There are a bajillion other sounds in this unit, but most of them are only good for novelty purposes (IMHO and all that).

If you don't already know how the M13 works, here's a crude run down - 4 columns, 3 effects per column, can engage one effect from each column at a time so a max of 4 effects at once.

I have it set up like this:

Code: Select all

Digital Delay        Digital Delay             Line 6 Distortion      Script Phaser
(tap tempo .8th)     (tap tempo 1/4 notes)     (wild)                 (tap tempo)

Studio EQ            Pitch Glide               Classic Distortion     Tube Comp
(solo boost)         (2 octave whammy)         (most used)            (RHCP-ish)

Studio EQ            Analog Chorus             Tube Drive             Weeper Wah
(small boost)        (tap tempo)               (mild)                 (75% mix)
It runs from right to left, but you can change that. I've set the delays, chorus and phaser to run from tap tempo which really makes it a lot more flexible.

For each effect I use, I have trudged through all of the variations and selected the ones that sounded best to me. Here's a review of the effects I'm familiar with:

Weeper wah (Arbiter Cry Baby)
This was the best sounding wah to my ears. You can get good sounds out of pretty much all the wahs (assuming you have an expression pedal) because you can set the start and finish points and how much of the signal is wah'd. I have a 75% mix so that the guitar sound is still clear, but you also get some wah in there for good measure. No Hammett. Very believable.

Tube Comp (Teletronix LA-2A)
This was the best compressor I could find. I've never used one before, so I'm no expert. This just gave me the Frusciante squish without sucking the life out of everything like the Dyna Comp / CS-1 models did. Is great for solos and making things like the intros to Under The Bridge and Californication sound big when they're really not.

Script Phaser (Phase 90)
I hardly use this. It sounds good but I'm not a phaser kind of person. Just use it to get that weird phasey / wah-y type sound in Who Loves Who The Most. No EVH.

Analog Chorus (Boss CE-1)
I quite like this. I use it sparingly, but with the tap tempo, I can get anything from nice subtle chorus to vibrato. Does a good outro to Under The Bridge sound (we do more than just Chilis stuff, I promise).

Pitch Glide (Whammy)
This is good enough and the convenience of not having to use my space-hogging Whammy IV is nice. The sound, however, isn't as good and unfortunately with the 25K pot in my Boss FV-500L (you're meant to use the shitty plastic Line 6 EXP-1 with a 10K pot), the tracking can be inaccurate. That means that I have to re-calibrate it before each use. Does a good enough Killing In The Name solo and the weird part after the first chorus in What I Got. Over all I prefer my Whammy, but can't be bothered carting it along with its separate power supply and everything so it will stay in the cupboard for the time being.

Digital Delay
Faultless. Love the delays in this unit and having tap tempo means that I can always have the right delay for whatever song I'm playing. This one is used mostly for solos.

Studio EQ (API 550B)
Just a volume boost. Haven't really delved into the EQs because I don't need them.

Digital Delay
As above - but with the dotted eighth setting. Awesome. Mix it with the Tube Comp and maybe the Tube Drive (depending on how I've got my preamp set) and you can nail the Streets Have No Name intro.

Now, this is just one "scene" that I have. I use it 90% of the time. I have another scene that is identical except the chorus is replaced with another EQ for bass boost and the dotted eighth delay is replaced with another, bigger volume boost. I use that one for talk box songs. Can have up to 12 scenes. You can also use latch mode, but I need more flexibility than that.

At this point, you're probably thinking "Cool story, bro, but what about the distortions / drives?!?!?!??"

Well, to be honest, I've not been able to get a sound that I'm satisfied with out of the drives at all. I did all I could to emulate the sound of my Crunchbox, but there was just nothing even remotely close. The Line 6 Distortion model is nice and heavy but has no cut-through no matter what I do. It's just white noise in a band situation. The other two drives that I use are good enough, but are nowhere near as nice as real pedals. In short, this really doesn't do any drive sounds very well for me. They're not bad, but they're just not...great.

With the exception of the drives, and to an extent the Whammy, this does everything very well. Extremely well. Fantastically well. The flexibility and convenience (yes, I've used that word a lot, but it's the only one that really describes this) is unparalleled. But it comes at a price.

I can complement it with some pedals, but then that would just ruin the convenience of the whole thing. I'm meant to be setting up the M13 instead of my pedal board, not as well as my pedal board! But man, the sounds I could get if I had some decent ODs in there would be phenomenal.

Final thoughts: The M13 is awesome, but needs to be used with some external drive pedals.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 640 times
Been liked: 808 times

Post by hamo »

Great review, thanks man. General question for my n00bishnes here: would you run an OD pedal before or after the M13, and why?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

BG wrote:and don't forget to try 3 whammys all linked to each other for that ear shattering 6 octave high note
:shock: :shock: 4 octaves up on the HOG is ear piercing enough
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7779 times
Been liked: 4206 times

Post by jeremyb »

I don't think i've ever heard a multi-effects unit with a nice distortion :?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

I'll have my M9 in a few weeks once I've paid it off, I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

Regarding expression pedals, someone mentioned Jansen have really cheap $30 expression pedals which may or may not work with the M9, can someone confirm this? Considering I have one bit in a song I want to use a whammy for 7 seconds or so, I dont really want to fork out $200 if I could pay $30 instead, haha.

re: drives. I'm considering selling my overdrive pedal once I get this, simply because I use my overdrive pedal as a boost instead of an overdrive pedal (amp is on 80% drive, pedal is on 10% or 5% with the level cranked) I think the EQ/Boost functions, or classic drive with 'grit' instead of lots of gain would do the job perfectly.

Either way, great review man, I'm really looking forward to getting mine!

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

hamo wrote:Great review, thanks man. General question for my n00bishnes here: would you run an OD pedal before or after the M13, and why?
Before.

The modulations and delays are far too good to place a distortion after. You can set the M13 up to have pedals in between any of the effects (it has a movable effects loop), so I could go from my M13 compressor > actual Crunchbox pedal > M13 Delay > M13 solo boost, but when I had a fiddle with that, it made my distortion pedals sound a bit blah for some reason. Also, it would make set up even more complicated which I'm against.

So for me, I would ditch the M13 wah (because I like wah before OD), compressor and ODs for real pedals. It would free up a few more spaces for more top-notch delays and modulations too which is a good thing.
jeremyb wrote:I don't think i've ever heard a multi-effects unit with a nice distortion :?
Yep. I'm surprised because I'm not your average tone snob. In fact, I thought to myself "I bet they're just fine sounding but all these cork sniffing, boutique-only gear heads won't like them because it's uncool". But alas, they actually do suck. No cork sniffery required to hear that.

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

xCaptainx wrote:I'll have my M9 in a few weeks once I've paid it off, I'm REALLY looking forward to it.
An M9 with some good OD pedals would be a very convenient and great sounding set up. Actually, that would be perfect for me.

Ah crap.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by xCaptainx »

hehehe well if it's of any help, I could be keen to sell my Dynodrive for $100, you'd be helping me get my M9 quicker! hehe.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I didn't mind the overdrive/distortions myself, found them pretty useable, just need to dial them in for your rig I guess. The Rat clone was pretty cool. You just have to ignore the knob labels and tweak everything to fine tune....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

BG wrote:I didn't mind the overdrive/distortions myself, found them pretty useable, just need to dial them in for your rig I guess. The Rat clone was pretty cool. You just have to ignore the knob labels and tweak everything to fine tune....
You play a Bellbird though. Diarrhea would sound good through that amp.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

erm, yeah you do have a point ;) though obviously not one I'm willing to test :eek:

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by xCaptainx »

plug a microphone in? :wink:

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Ironbird13 wrote:
BG wrote:and don't forget to try 3 whammys all linked to each other for that ear shattering 6 octave high note
:shock: :shock: 4 octaves up on the HOG is ear piercing enough
Then thread it through Mr Starscream's eight bit fuzz of doom. It'll cut all right. Oh yes. Oh yes.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

xCaptainx wrote: Regarding expression pedals, someone mentioned Jansen have really cheap $30 expression pedals which may or may not work with the M9, can someone confirm this?
That was me. I rang Simon and asked for a budget exp. pedal, telling him I was from NZguitars. The pedal was fine, Proel brand, plastic, but really no worse than the L6 one. Amazing value for around $30.