Moderator: Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2267 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: White boy blues

Post by Bg »

Timoes wrote:Had time to finish the article today at the works. Rory was invited to play in the Stones. Keef was keen to have him in there. Supposedly Start me up was a idea Rory had been working on and when him and Keef were jammin with it Mick added the words.

He was also invited to become a part of Deep Purple but turned them both down to pursue his solo effort. He frequently turned down the record companies offers to turn many of his songs into radio singles fearing that it would not be fitting with the direction of the style of music he was playing.

Quite a sad story really. A lonely,shy man who burried himself in his music. Ended up with a drink/perscription pill addiction which shagged his liver. He had a transplant in 95 and died a couple of months later from an infection picked up in the hospital. 49 years old.

Awesome guitar player. I have a coouple of his cds and 2 live DVDs. Montreux Jazz Festival which covers several years of performances and the classic 74 Irish Tour. Worth a look for sure.
Yeah sad story all right, Rory is one of my favourites, not only a great guitarist and performer but he wrote some excellent songs. I was lucky enough to see him a couple of times though I wish it had been more :( One of the hardest working musicians of his time
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

It sucks about Rory and Roy too, both awesome.
It is one of the things that made me go on the tee-total booze ban 12 months ago, when I found out what happened to Rory's kidney about the same time I found out I have a benign 5cm cyst in my right kidney. I was a hard drinking fisherman who lived on pain killers for years, it had to stop before I did too much damage, I noticed hangovers were lasting 3 days instead of 3 hours like when I was 18.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Timoes wrote:He had a transplant in 95 and died a couple of months later from an infection picked up in the hospital. 49 years old.
Wow, that was so amazing... The first time I heard one of his records (the live one with the silver cover) I was told that he'd died, this must have been about 1983. And all that time, I've thought he was dead and no, he was still alive.

:shock: :shock: That's incredible.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

corsair
Gibson
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by corsair »

I saw him too, and met him backstage at the Regent Theatre in Dunedin; lovely man, very humble! I liked the Celtic twist he gave his music... boy he could play... sadly missed! :cry:
There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Great on harmonica and mandolin too.

So he came to NZ? Done lots of shows in Japan and Europe.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

corsair
Gibson
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by corsair »

Yep; about 79/80... I saw him not long before I saw SRV at the Regent.
There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!