Moderator: Capt. Black

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

Megadeth - "Endgame"

Post by Jenesis »

Another class effort from Dave and the boys, this one is maybe even better than the previous release United Abominations. WIth new shredmaestro Chris Broderick on board there are more insane hyperspeed solos scattered about the album than you can shake a stick at, as he and Dave go for broke within the first few seconds of the opening instrumental track. Yee-fucking-ha. Songs are consistently solid with tons of cranking riffs, a couple have a flavour of the good old days of no-frills thrash to add to the album's overall polished Rust In Piece-era vibe. There's an ill advised half-ballad thing toward the end with the fittingly sappy title The Hardest Part of Letting Go...Sealed With A Kiss (ugh), but overall this is a great big pile of good metal times for the headbangers. If the band keep this level of quality up, the next album could be an absolute barnstormer with the return of Junior.

Check it!

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Megadeth - "Endgame"

Post by alanp »

... but Vic isn't on the coverart...
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

No flies on you.

Unlike the cover art.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

cool, is Dave E back on bass?

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Yeah mon, rejoined earlier this year.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

mean.

Just checked a few.. headcrusher, the one with the cop shoot out start and a couple others.

Seriour thrash out fest with face melty shred.. bad ass.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 665 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Got to say I was disappointed with this album. Granted it is better than United Abominations, but I didn't like that album at all, so not hard to achieve. This for me is Megadeth by numbers, too formulaic, too many riffs that sound like they came from discarded demos that didn't make it onto previous, better albums. As for Chris Broderick, I have to admire his chops, but he, for me at least, is a shining example of technique without purpose. His solos leave me very cold and I just see him as another Jeff Young widdle-man (for the record, Chris Poland is my fave Megadeth guitarist due to his great, original phrasing, even though technically he was the least accomplished gunslinger Dave hired).

Dave needs a serious talking to for the ballad.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Danger Mouse wrote:Got to say I was disappointed with this album. Granted it is better than United Abominations, but I didn't like that album at all, so not hard to achieve. This for me is Megadeth by numbers, too formulaic, too many riffs that sound like they came from discarded demos that didn't make it onto previous, better albums. As for Chris Broderick, I have to admire his chops, but he, for me at least, is a shining example of technique without purpose. His solos leave me very cold and I just see him as another Jeff Young widdle-man (for the record, Chris Poland is my fave Megadeth guitarist due to his great, original phrasing, even though technically he was the least accomplished gunslinger Dave hired).

He's just a great big emo at heart... :lol:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

For me, early Megadeth was more about being balls to the wall and heaps of energy, which I really liked. These days it seems to be more about just being really precise, which sounds a bit flat and kills it for me.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Danger Mouse wrote:Got to say I was disappointed with this album. Granted it is better than United Abominations, but I didn't like that album at all, so not hard to achieve. This for me is Megadeth by numbers, too formulaic, too many riffs that sound like they came from discarded demos that didn't make it onto previous, better albums. As for Chris Broderick, I have to admire his chops, but he, for me at least, is a shining example of technique without purpose. His solos leave me very cold and I just see him as another Jeff Young widdle-man (for the record, Chris Poland is my fave Megadeth guitarist due to his great, original phrasing, even though technically he was the least accomplished gunslinger Dave hired).

I hear what you're saying about Broderick, he comes across as a soulless technical player to me too but that's fine in perspective. I don't listen to Megadeth for depth of emotion. :D

Best album since Cryptic Writings, for me.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 665 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Jenesis wrote:
I hear what you're saying about Broderick, he comes across as a soulless technical player to me too but that's fine in perspective. I don't listen to Megadeth for depth of emotion.

Best album since Cryptic Writings, for me.
Yeah he is fine in context and does have some technique, just with Chris P and Marty to compare to, he's somewhat lacking for me.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

The second track actually blew me away when i heard it... and enjoyed the rest of the album, except I find I just dont listen to it anymore.
I dont know whether Ive just lost intrest as a listener or its maybe a bit too polished for my liking, but its missing the playabilty factor for me.
I still play Chris Poland RTM album alot, of the new metal coming out Solution .45 has me hooked too, but this is a good album but not a regularly spun disc.