Catalinbread Overdrive Orgy *crappy demo clip added*

CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Catalinbread Overdrive Orgy

Post by AmpShop »

Timi wrote:Stumbled across the WIIO online yesterday, pretty keen to have a go on bass. Enjoying my SFT though.
Happy to send you one for a trial!
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

Timi wrote:Stumbled across the WIIO online yesterday, pretty keen to have a go on bass. Enjoying my SFT though.

I reckon it'd sound killer on bass. It has a similar low frequency extension to the SFT but is a bit clearer.

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

benderissimo wrote: Dirty Little Secret:
Lovely low gain sound, stacks really well with other pedals, not too aggressive, pretty spongey at higher gain settings but very versatile with the Rock/Rawk switch. Cleans up really well with playing dynamics, lighter pick attack or rolling the volume back. Plenty of note definition and a really natural sounding decay back to fairly clean. With a cleaner amp than mine it would make a really nice "always on" front end for low gain and light crunchy rhythm sounds (by crunch I'm talking John Fogerty to AC/DC rather than Iron Maiden) or as a way of controlling breakup at the guitar. If I didn't have the Møller this would be my ideal no. 1 OD pedal.
This.

For a brief time i had mine set at higher gains, until i heard some recordings and realised my g2d was far smoother for that purpose. Now that i've moved away from HRDlx for gigs i might try leaving this in the loop of my tremoverb clean channel to get a better dirty edge on things.

...probably wont though, cos it's a bit of a pain in the ass and i'm lazy like that: but it's a nice thought.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

I like the DLS best at low to no gain, with the tone at about 3 o'clock and the volume just boosting the signal a wee bit and then slamming it with something else. Not really necessary with my amp though since it's only about 7.5watts clean.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Here's a bit of a demo I threw together this evening to see how they compared in a recording situation.

The first gat that comes in (which should be on the right) is using the SFT for some low gain rhythm goodness (neck pickup) and the second one (left) is using the WIIO. The lead lines alternate between the SFT and the WIIO with both at low gain using the neck pup for the first parts and then with the gain at 50% using the bridge pup for the last two lead sections. I wasn't aiming for anything spectacular, just came up with the grove when I was jamming and decided to put the idea down so I would remember it later. The lead parts are done in one pass per pedal (2 takes for the first one and 1 take for the second) so they're a bit on the ropey side. Also I don't have a mic stand where I'm set up at the moment so it's all recorded with my LDC mic hanging over the front of the cab ghetto styles. The drums are just some MIDI loops thrown together using BFD. I'm not super thrilled with the recording or the playing but it was a good exercise to test the pedals.
Overdrive Orgy Demo smaller.mp3
(3.47 MiB) Downloaded 171 times

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

benderissimo wrote:I like the DLS best at low to no gain, with the tone at about 3 o'clock and the volume just boosting the signal a wee bit and then slamming it with something else. Not really necessary with my amp though since it's only about 7.5watts clean.
Fasinating comment, given the official description of the DLS, "more of a bass on which to build your tone" or some such, I would take to mean exactly what you've said here, that's pretty cool!

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 661 times
Been liked: 566 times

Post by TmcB »

aliasceiza wrote:
benderissimo wrote:I like the DLS best at low to no gain, with the tone at about 3 o'clock and the volume just boosting the signal a wee bit and then slamming it with something else. Not really necessary with my amp though since it's only about 7.5watts clean.
Fasinating comment, given the official description of the DLS, "more of a bass on which to build your tone" or some such, I would take to mean exactly what you've said here, that's pretty cool!
That's how I use mine. It really works well when paired with a Mudhoney
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

tonymcbony wrote:
aliasceiza wrote:
That's how I use mine. It really works well when paired with a Mudhoney

How about when used with two? :mrgreen:

I'm finding WIIO is good in a similar way. It took me a while to figure it out and I find the tone stack a bit frustrating (the treble extends so far down into the mids that it's a little bit ineffective as a treble boost) but wow it really fits into my rig nicely.

otisredding
Fender
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Catalinbread Overdrive Orgy *crappy demo clip added*

Post by otisredding »

With single coils into my Headstrong Lil King-S the Formula No.5 gave me all the tweed I will ever need at the touch of a button. Gigged it last Sat at the Lido and it passed the first outing with flying colours.

It REALLY shone with the P90s from my slide gat - beautifully touch sensitive with finger attack. Disturbingly like the real thing.

Big thumbs up!

Thanks again Ryan. 8)

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

otisredding wrote:With single coils into my Headstrong Lil King-S the Formula No.5 gave me all the tweed I will ever need at the touch of a button. Gigged it last Sat at the Lido and it passed the first outing with flying colours.

It REALLY shone with the P90s from my slide gat - beautifully touch sensitive with finger attack. Disturbingly like the real thing.

Big thumbs up!

Thanks again Ryan. 8)
Nice one bro!
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Ryan sent me a Wiio to check out, must say that dealing with him is fantastic! Really cool to try this out with no pressure to buy, but I'm sure he knew that I would buy it if I liked it.

I tried this out at home first (at low volume) with my Jazz Bass (Nordstrand pickups), Orange tube head and Livesound 2x12 (pretty much an Ampeg if they made a sealed 2x12).

The first thing I noticed was the huge low end, this thing has a massive thick warmth to the low end but didn't sound muddy, but it also had a nice clear midrange and top end. I liked the sounds at home, more than my SFT actually! It is a little bit scoopy though, not Sansamp scoopy but still a little bit.

Also tried it with a Ric and a P Bass at home. I find it hard to find pedals that work with those basses, and I didn't like it with the Ric using both pickups (I don't think many things work for that) but with just the bridge pickup it was great to fatten up the "weak" sound of one single coil while still having a pleasing but clear overdrive. REALLY liked it on a P Bass at home. The huge low midrange of a P Bass makes most pedals sound way too gainy and hollow but the low mid scoop of the Wiio offset this perfectly.

At practice (same rig except an Ampeg 8x10) things were a bit different, the slight scoop and huge low end got me lost in the mix with my Jazz, and for this reason I decided not to buy it as the Jazz is my main bass. I didn't try the other basses at practice but I rolled off the bridge pickup on the Jazz to get an "almost P Bass" sound and suddenly it sang again. If you play a P Bass and use overdrive you really should check out the Wiio.

I only tried it briefly with guitar at low volume, seemed pretty cool, nice thick overdrive but doesn't get too heavy on its own. Unsure if it would work so well with a really bassy amp, maybe it would be cool with a Vox?

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

Timi wrote:Ryan sent me a Wiio to check out, must say that dealing with him is fantastic! Really cool to try this out with no pressure to buy, but I'm sure he knew that I would buy it if I liked it.

I tried this out at home first (at low volume) with my Jazz Bass (Nordstrand pickups), Orange tube head and Livesound 2x12 (pretty much an Ampeg if they made a sealed 2x12).

The first thing I noticed was the huge low end, this thing has a massive thick warmth to the low end but didn't sound muddy, but it also had a nice clear midrange and top end. I liked the sounds at home, more than my SFT actually! It is a little bit scoopy though, not Sansamp scoopy but still a little bit.

Also tried it with a Ric and a P Bass at home. I find it hard to find pedals that work with those basses, and I didn't like it with the Ric using both pickups (I don't think many things work for that) but with just the bridge pickup it was great to fatten up the "weak" sound of one single coil while still having a pleasing but clear overdrive. REALLY liked it on a P Bass at home. The huge low midrange of a P Bass makes most pedals sound way too gainy and hollow but the low mid scoop of the Wiio offset this perfectly.

At practice (same rig except an Ampeg 8x10) things were a bit different, the slight scoop and huge low end got me lost in the mix with my Jazz, and for this reason I decided not to buy it as the Jazz is my main bass. I didn't try the other basses at practice but I rolled off the bridge pickup on the Jazz to get an "almost P Bass" sound and suddenly it sang again. If you play a P Bass and use overdrive you really should check out the Wiio.

I only tried it briefly with guitar at low volume, seemed pretty cool, nice thick overdrive but doesn't get too heavy on its own. Unsure if it would work so well with a really bassy amp, maybe it would be cool with a Vox?
sounds like Ryan's top notch service as per usual.

Timi. I think i have found the perfect OD for a p bass. dredgetone bass angler. really stoked with it in a mix at the moment. Jazz bass wise, sft in the mix is still pretty tops.

(p.s. care to continue the chime in the nordstrand thread over at BP ?)

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Been super busy, will have some time later in the week so will upload the samples somewhere and post on BP for people to check out.

Heard good things about the Angler, glad you have found something that works with the P Bass, I could never find anything I was really happy with. It's so much easier with a Jazz!

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

Timi wrote:Been super busy, will have some time later in the week so will upload the samples somewhere and post on BP for people to check out.

Heard good things about the Angler, glad you have found something that works with the P Bass, I could never find anything I was really happy with. It's so much easier with a Jazz!

awesome.glad you wrote what you found out bout the WIIO i think i trust your ears quite a bit since quite a number of our observations have been similar in the past. one less GAS item for me :) will wait for the clips patiently. its been awhile since i've done non-nordstrand jazz style pickups. and i don't really count model-J's in that category