Moderator: Capt. Black

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Mesa Transatlantic

Post by Vorbis »

001.JPG
Saw this sitting at The RS this avo, so I'm having a Weekend relationship with this amp. I guess it's Mesa's take on the small-form low wattage head that the Tiny Terror and Vox Night train have made popular.
So we've got an EL-84 based amp, 2 channels with 2 'modes' assignable to the 'Clean channel' and 3 modes assignable to the
2nd "Gain Channel"
This amp is switchable between 5, 15 and 25 Watts. There's a huge volume drop between 15W and 5W, which is good for around the house, not so much difference between the 15 and 25W setting just more clean headroom and slightly tighter bass response.
I started off with the clean channel, you've got 2 modes to choose from- 'Normal' and 'Top Boost'. You've got a Volume/treble/bass/Master tone stack to play with. An interesting feature on the 'Master' control is if you leave it pushed in you have a non-master volume amp and the knob acts a 'cut' switch for rolling off the highs ala Vox. Pulled out you use it as a Master volume so you can crank the gain and keep the volume down.

The 'Normal' channel mode sounds pretty decent if you want a 'clean' clean. It's not too sterile sounding and would make a great springboard for the pedal whores. The treble and bass need to be kept under control with this head, I found that by keeping them between 10 and 2'oclock with various amounts of gain/volume and with combinations of pickups/guitar volume I was able to produce some pretty ueable tones. Trying to push this channel and mode into breakup gave pretty poor results...so it's best at 15 or 25W for maximum headroom.

The 'Top Boost' mode, as the name might imply is a great big nod to the Vox AC15/30. The treble will slice your head off if you're not careful. Again I found myself on the 15watt setting, the amp seems to come alive more if you avoid the 5Watt and open up the Master to around half way. This is a more dynamic and rounded mode, you can push the gain to breaking-up and get some great Voxy tones, using the guitar volume knob to take off the top-end brittleness I had some great blues tones using both the neck humbucker for leads and the coil split neck pickup for rhythms. Very similar to my Ac30cc, if you push the gain too far your tone turns to mush.
Mesa have done a good job here bringing you a close representation of the Vox considering I'm demo'ing this through a 1x12 cheap cab and the head has no reverb built in. Again with this mode, you have to watch your treble and bass, add gain and you have to back off the bass. Switch to single-coils and you want to back off the treble. Small adjustments can make quite a lot of difference.

More to follow when I flick the switch to the 2nd channel.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Mesa Transatlantic

Post by darkness »

HA! funnily enough The Scarecrow and I demo'd one today as well. Quite impressed with it. Nice clean, and some quite good crunch too.

I'm tempted to buy one. Though looking at some other stuff too.
AFK.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Oh yeah? What cab did you plug into?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

unfortunately it was a shitty 2x10 (or 12) the store had, some old marshall thing. But the amp sounded good enough through it. Reckon with a decent cab it would've sounded fantastic.
AFK.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

I had one of these for the weekend too, played it through a artisan 212, open back with v30s, I think it's great, would be awesome for home recording, given all it's modes and the variety of sounds you can get out of it...I liked the normal mode on channel one, and the high 1 mode on channel two the best, both on the 25w power setting...I found the lower gain sounds to be very percussive, almost jarring if you're not careful, but that should give some good definition when micing it!

I would have bought it if I hadn't been looking for a gigging amp...this one only switching between channels and not the modes via the footswitch wouldn't have worked to well for me gigging!

Watch out for the mesh on top though, it gets so hot it will burn your fingers!

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Just quickly with Channel 2.
We have 3 modes 'Tweed' 'Hi 1' and 'Hi 2'.

The tweed seems to take away some of the harmonic richness that the 'Top Boost' channel offers, it has a similar amount of gain on tap and I reckon it's voiced with less mid-range. It's a slightly sweeter, more polite version of the Top-Boost channel.
The Hi 1 mode cranks the gain up, suitable for classic rock I suppose. Neither the Hi 1 or Hi 2 mode has enough gain on tap for saturated liquid lead tones, you'd need a screamer or the like to push it harder. I'm not a huge fan of the way Mesa have voiced the higher gain modes, it's hard to describe...it's sort of 'lo-fi' and vintage sounding. It actually reminds of the Tiny terror but with less gain on tap. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the 'Hi 1' and 'Hi 2' modes.

I think if the amp had Reverb or an effects loop I'd be pretty interested. I'd probably invest in a good drive pedal with some sort of eq to shape channel 2 into more of the tone that I have in my head.

So. Great cleans and edgy breakup on Channel one...lots of fun to be had here, but let down IMHO by a pretty average and not particularly versatile Channel 2.
No reverb, no fx loop, a single button footswitch, one 4ohm and one 8ohm speaker out with a cool blue glow when powered up rounds up the package.

I can't help thinking that spending $800 less on an AC15 and buying a hotcake would give you better bang for buck, but the size and portability of the Mesa might be the deal-clincher for some.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Some good writings on your impressions Vorbis. Just to clarify and put things into perspective a little for everyone else reading...

CHANNEL 1 - Is essentially a complete Vox circuit - either normal or top boost (switchable). Two fun ways to run it: run it on top boost mode with the gain around 2 o clock and master volume OFF. Or for some fun Brian May type sounds, NORMAL mode boosted with a treble-y overdrive pedal. Master volume to taste

CHANNEL 2 is to all intents and purposes a Fender circuit (TWEED), Marshall circuit (HI1) and a MESA MkII style circuit (HI2) depending on which mode you select. You really need to run the volume reasonably high on this channel to deliver the goods....
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Also YMMV, because to be fair it wasn't paired with a Mesa Cab and I wasn't able to really crank up the dirty channel.
Matt, have you played through the Mesa Express amps? How does the dirty channel compare on those amps?

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by handsoffmatt »

Vorbis wrote:Also YMMV, because to be fair it wasn't paired with a Mesa Cab and I wasn't able to really crank up the dirty channel.
Matt, have you played through the Mesa Express amps? How does the dirty channel compare on those amps?
Yes I have played many Express amps. TBH I have never liked the dirty channel on those amps (though I know many people who love it). I find the OD channel to be kinda loose and voiced weirdly in the mids. But that's just my $0.02. The Transatlantic is much more "classic" which suits me a lot better....

On the flipside, the Express amps have a KILLER clean channel - and I have heard some downright unbelieveable tones from an Express 5:25 1x12 running in 5w mode with the "Clean" channel maxed out and distorting beautifully...

Overall, I really like the Express amps, but I treat them like a single channel amp. Channel 1 is sublime, Channel 2 doesn't spin my wheels at all. YMMV.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

darkness wrote:unfortunately it was a shitty 2x10 (or 12) the store had, some old marshall thing. But the amp sounded good enough through it. Reckon with a decent cab it would've sounded fantastic.
Yeah, it was pretty muffled sounding valvestate or MG series 4x12... certainly no 1960, so I think the sound was let down by that on the 2nd channel.

Overall, I found the 1st channel on top boost to be the most fufilling and tonefull. Massive volume drop between 5 & 25w. 15 seemed the nicest middleground. Liked the push-pull master option.

Channel 2 was a bit indisctinct between gain 1 & 2, the tweed option was a bit nicer to my ears. you'd struggle to get a modern high gain sound that was very tight out of it, but for most rock applications, hi 1 was reasonabley good.

I liked the blue lights :mrgreen: and the size was nice, though for the price, I would probably be more keen on getting something else myself.

In other news, we played a Marshall MA 'entry' level tube head. I couldn't actually tell if it had valves, it was that bad. Sounded like a Marshall, but a very buzzy, toppy one. AVOID.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

My next trial is a Marshall Haze head, if the Whg Rockshop can get me one....All the Blackstar studio's are goneburgers :(

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

I actually preferred the blackstar club 40 out of the new HT range...it's got some good chug for a single 12...I'm still thinking about getting the stage 60, but only for the extra channel and the 2 speakers!

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Those Haze amps are nice.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

So the Blackstar stuff is selling well. Getting another shipment in Matt?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by handsoffmatt »

hamo wrote:So the Blackstar stuff is selling well. Getting another shipment in Matt?
A tiny one due in the warehouse today with a few STAGE 60 combos and a couple of STUDIO 20 heads.

Any of you fellas want me to send this stuff to a particular RS for you to try out? :wink:
"Volume is tone" - EVH