Marshall AFD100 review + 6SS first giveaway!

CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Marshall AFD100 review + 6SS first giveaway!

Post by slash-ed »

Thanking everyone for the intense input into the mic position experiment thread, I finally cobbled together and updated my original review of the AFD100!

http://sixstringsamurai.co.nz/2012/07/2 ... -fan-pack/

As the title implies, I'm also doing a giveaway for you cool people who take the time to read and follow Six-String Samurai. I'm stoked with the response the site has "past participle of get" so far, and hopefully it can only get better!

I'm giving away a Ltd Edition fan-pack of Slash's new album, Apocalyptic Love. It features a sweet mag by Classic Rock, full of interviews with Slash, Myles and the gang, as well as some posters and additional merch.

Check out the review for details on how to win, or you can find it on FB here: http://www.facebook.com/SixStringSamuraiGearReviews

Don't worry if you're not on FB - there's still a way you can enter. Read on to figure out how!

Thanks!
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1213 times
Been liked: 1406 times

Re: Marshall AFD100 review + 6SS first giveaway!

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Great work ED !
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Cheers Nik. :)

Where are all the Slash fans? The album is in stereo, I promise.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

looks like mono to me.

If I win can you post it to my parents in NZ? My grandma is coming over for xmas and is bringing a bunch of crap over for her
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Sure thing mmmman. :)

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Um yes, that does sound like the mystical original amp. I'm also shocked at how close you've got to Slash's tones, especially the Back from Cali intro. Very cool, but can it sound good and not sound like Slash? I know that isn't the point of this amp, but just wondering if it is a 2 trick pony amp.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Yeah, play some Slayer! ;)

Srsly tho, great stuff :D
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 640 times
Been liked: 808 times

Post by hamo »

Danger Mouse wrote:Didn't read.
Fixed :P
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Danger Mouse wrote:Um yes, that does sound like the mystical original amp. I'm also shocked at how close you've got to Slash's tones, especially the Back from Cali intro. Very cool, but can it sound good and not sound like Slash? I know that isn't the point of this amp, but just wondering if it is a 2 trick pony amp.
Haha there are more tricks to be had... I've gigged it for covers gigs with everything set around 12, and I currently use it for originals. It's basically a hotrodded Marshall in a very special flavour. And there were rumours that George Lynch rented the same amp too.

The latest song I did actually uses it quite a bit, I'll post it when it's ready to go. :)

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

love your reviews and writing style Ed! nice work.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Thanks Ross! I'm having a great time doing it! I've always loved writing but what with uni and "real life" over the past few years that got put out of the way so I'm really enjoying doing it in some capacity.

Make sure you share the contest pic with your friends! I know you probably don't have a heap of interest in Slash, but you know all the musos in NZ :D, so it would be great if you would help spread the word. It is after all a publicity thing, to hopefully get the site out there to a wider audience.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times

Post by bobiron »

slash-ed wrote:Thanks Ross! I'm having a great time doing it! I've always loved writing but what with uni and "real life" over the past few years that got put out of the way so I'm really enjoying doing it in some capacity.

Make sure you share the contest pic with your friends! I know you probably don't have a heap of interest in Slash, but you know all the musos in NZ :D, so it would be great if you would help spread the word. It is after all a publicity thing, to hopefully get the site out there to a wider audience.
Not a big Slash lover, but I love his tone especially on Sweet child and heavens door and fuck you nailed them them solos mate, welldone. Really like you style of writing and the clips are awesome, well done to you. I have liked your your poster in Fb, but having trouble getting this on my timeline, any tips for someone who does not use fb that much really, happy to spread the love of Marshall.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Thanks man! I see you signed up on the website anyway, so don't worry you're in the draw :)

I'd still appreciate it if you shared the pic with your friends - there should be a "Share" button underneath the pic, just click that, and "Okay" or whatever, and it should put it on your timeline. :)

Is your real name Ross? Cos I thought it would be Bob. :lol: Or am I just getting completely confused now.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times

Post by bobiron »

slash-ed wrote:Thanks man! I see you signed up on the website anyway, so don't worry you're in the draw :)

I'd still appreciate it if you shared the pic with your friends - there should be a "Share" button underneath the pic, just click that, and "Okay" or whatever, and it should put it on your timeline. :)

Is your real name Ross? Cos I thought it would be Bob. :lol: Or am I just getting completely confused now.
Ok will do the share thing. Yeah Ross is a name that I am referred to for serious stuff, like work etc, but Bob is way more fun. I know Slash is not your real name or that is that you Slash? Cause your really sound lke him and that lost amp was not really returned by the dumb roadie, you keep it stash-ed away in your back room hidden with all your others don't you.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

slash,ED - sounds awesome! Nice review. Really enjoyed that story about the modded amp used on Appetite too.

Your clips are really clear representations - by comparison, Slash sounds harsh/buzzy on the toob demo'ing the amp.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4_3CSZkVHU[/youtube]

Wait, did I just say you sound betterer than the man himself? :mrgreen: