CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

Thomas234
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Reverb Reverb Reverb help need to know what to get haha

Post by Thomas234 »

I went to the amp shop yesterday to test out the Hall of fame Reverb. went to another shop to try the other pedals So far i've tried the Cathedral, EHX, HOF and the Hardwire. So many options to start with! I think im just repeating what people already know

First of all the TC hall of fame.
When I first tried it, the thing that caught me was the hall, church and mod reverb. The Church reverb is the most accurate reverb option I've tried, Its like the eargasmic reverb you get before people swarm into church and before they completely destroy your reverb. The HOF is very dark and warm.The spring option is not as good or as accurate as the EHX Spring reverb but it's close enough. A few things I really didn't get was the gate or even the AMB. Its got a very short decay, the only thing I had in mind is its just like any other reverb with low decay. Mod is just great I guess

The Cathedral is great and sounds great but there's too many knobs to start with! and its giant haha I want something thats easy to control i guess!

Holy Grail is just classic, I wouldn't mind getting this too but I have to choose one

Digitech Hardwire, This is the exact opposite of the HoF. Its bright and also very transparent which is a good thing. The mod on this one is amazing too. It doesn't cover the tone that much like the HoF and its not as splashy as the Holy Grail. The spring and hall sounds a bit too harsh tho and if people are concern about having true bypass I doubt it is. "true bypass: none of pedal circuitry should enter the signal path when the pedal is disengaged". the guys at rockshop said There is an internal switch to enable true bypass but there's still this noise that comes out of it. BUT like other guitar players would say, you shouldn't worry too much about having a true bypass haha. If it sounds good it sounds good and this pedal sounds really natural. If you are a true bypass person but like the sound of a non true bypass, I'd get a looper :)

with gain: I think this pedal would be good for something like light gain. I wouldn't recommend anything with heavy distortion I guess.

There's also one more pedal I haven't tried! Blue Sky! watching this vid!.. The shimmer caught my attention but HOF wins the other reverb options hhaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvLZ0vTwlKE

That shimmer option from blue sky almost sounds like the New Boss terra echo coming out! as far as I know it is the ultimate ambience pedal! its not the best thing but its definately unique! I'd buy it as soon as its in the market. I'd be happy to have it on my pedalboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3i12Z_ZWvc

I still havent figured out what to get but its leaning towards the HoF! any advice would be welcome and any other reverb pedal suggestions would be great too. Help
The philosophy of "technically", is technically not a philosophy
because there are still many technicalities, although technically
speaking it can technically still be a philosophy, but it all
depends on how you can technically see technically, technically.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Reverb Reverb Reverb help need to know what to get haha

Post by Single coil »

Cathedral.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

cwco
Stagg
Stagg

Post by cwco »

On the simple side there is the T-rex Tonebug reverb, much like the holy grail- easy to use, well-built etc. Ive never tried one myself, but caught my eye as amazon are selling them for $79us! (RRP$199) so i might get a few over. Maybe even attempt to stack them to get my tone dripping with reverb? does that even work!?

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Not really, just makes it more intense. Longer reverb time only happens if one of the pedals has a ridiculously long decay time.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I’m selling a Verbzilla for $120 bucks, it’s worth considering. It does really good spring, hall, etc, but what I really love is the ambient stuff - huge long plate, octo/shimmer mode, cave mode, all of which are very tasty indeed. SPAM OVER.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

If you like DIY, then 1776 Effects sell a board for the BTDR-2H reverb brick (which smallbear sell in short, medium, or long reverb.)

Only control on it is Mix, and it sounds pretty good.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

cwco
Stagg
Stagg

Post by cwco »

Also where do you put your reverb in the pedal chain?

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

BlueSky is the Rolls Royce for me. People are raving about the new WET reverb too - does teh shimmazzz?

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 254 times

Reverb Reverb Reverb help need to know what to get haha

Post by Capt. Black »

cwco wrote:Also where do you put your reverb in the pedal chain?
Yes.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by bobiron »

I have the HOF that I got from Clanger, I use it in front of my Vox NT on the spring setting. Yet to try it in band setting with the Vox, so still early days. I like the mix control on this and I think is essential if using in front of the amp. There are alot of options, but some I will never use, my criteria was to have a mix, decay, tone and preferrably spring, room and hall, but spring was essential. I typically use the mix about 9 o'clock. You are welcome to come round to mine to try it further on my rig if that helps you decsion making.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Generally speaking, reverb goes in the very last spot, in the FX loop if you have one, post dirt, modulation, delay and everything else. YMMV though etc.

cwco
Stagg
Stagg

Post by cwco »

I see, i was wondering if Thomas234 has a place for it- that would probably help me decide. Im looking at a stereo reverb like the cathedral so it can be stereo-delayed between my volume pedal and DD-20- trying to achieve an ambient pan

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Scooter13 wrote:
Generally speaking, reverb goes in the very last spot, in the FX loop if you have one, post dirt, modulation, delay and everything else. YMMV though etc.
Hence why I’m selling mine. I run a dirty amp with no FX loop, and the epic sound-scape type reverbs I like don’t sound that good in front of a dirty amp. I’m getting my reverb jollies from my DAW now.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

Scooter13 wrote:
Normally. Unless you're also using Tremolo and don't want the trem sound to be lost in the wash of reverb. Like on the Strymon Flint, standard setting is reverb>trem.
Some people also put delays after reverb for the same reason.

I've got a HoF too. Great all rounder. It's true bypass, or you can flick an internal dip switch for buffered mode which offers 'trails' (the reverb carries on after the pedal is switched off). Although i find the switch is not as accessible for 'stomping' as most pedals, you have to be a bit careful not to kick the knobs.

The only thing that disappoints about it is that TC didn't put a shimmer mode in. You'd think for a 'does everything' verb pedal shimmer would be a must!

Like all multi-setting pedals though, you can only use one sound at a time! I find spring is the setting I use most, and there's definitely other verb pedals that do a better spring.
Nothing to see here.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7789 times
Been liked: 4213 times

Post by jeremyb »

Everyone loves having shimmer, but who actually uses it in a band situation?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.