Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Timmy Meets Mr. Paisley

Post by Slowy »

I've long wanted to compare a Wampler Paisley Drive with my Timmy. Thanks to the incredible generosity of Eruera, I've been able to do just that over the past couple of days.
Yesterday, I found a post on TDPRI on the same subject and I'd swear he & I weren't talking about the same pedals! So this is subjective; YMMV.

'54 Anniversary Strat - pedals- EL84 Jansen amp- Celestion Blue.

After getting a feel for them both, I tried to set Timmy up to sound like Paisley. This is the first clue; there'd be no point in trying to do it the other way round.
Paisley is all about tight, crunchy to raspy (in a good way) overdrive that is perfectly clear and detailed. If you've got a fast picking hand, a shed full of chickens and you like your country water to have some fire in it, this thing is magic.

Paisley is all about its midrange. It's prominent, distinctive and remains constant throughout the full sweep of the tone knob. This pedal would keep you right out front of a band.
By comparison, Timmy has no midrange character at all. It's all about bass & treble. It has a similar amount of treble and way more bass, and also a lot more volume on tap.

So Timmy will thicken or thin your rig's tone and add varying degrees of fur. Paisley assumes you're ripping out double stop bends and lightning fast cascade runs, probably through something single coil and AC30ish and just pours on a liberal dose of awesomeness. (HAH! beat the word filter!)

The Paisley is designed to do a specific job brilliantly and Timmy never got close to it. But it reminded me how good Timmy is at just adding some extra goodness to whatever tone recipe you're cooking up.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Re: Timmy Meets Mr. Paisley

Post by Conway »

So, room for both on the pedalboard??? I think you might need and must have an upsized board. You know you want to. :wink:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Timmy Meets Mr. Paisley

Post by bluesierra »

And I am the benefactor with a paisley drive on its way to me. I've been loving my country at the moment and keen to try it alongside my timmy and soul food. I have just about every size of pedaltrain so I'll make it work!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

bluesierra wrote:And I am the benefactor with a paisley drive on its way to me. I've been loving my country at the moment and keen to try it alongside my timmy and soul food. I have just about every size of pedaltrain so I'll make it work!
It'll be perfect for you then. :thumbup: Be keen to hear how you think it compares to Timmy; it's not as if I claim to be right or anything. Paisley is one of those pedals that makes me wish I was a better player. After all, my chicken pickin' skills are somewhat paltry.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

slowfingers wrote:
my chicken pickin' skills are somewhat poultry.
Fixed.

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai

Timmy Meets Mr. Paisley

Post by bluesierra »

My chicken pickin skills are well below average. But I'm working on it. And In the privacy of my home I like to muck around.

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

twangnsnarl wrote:
slowfingers wrote:
my chicken pickin' skills are somewhat poultry.
Fixed.
:clap:
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

bluesierra wrote:My chicken pickin skills are well below average. But I'm working on it. And In the privacy of my home I like to cluck around.
Fixed again.

Thank you, I'm here all week. :mental:

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai

Timmy Meets Mr. Paisley

Post by bluesierra »

twangnsnarl wrote:
bluesierra wrote:My chicken pickin skills are well below average. But I'm working on it. And In the privacy of my home I like to cluck around.
Fixed again.

Thank you, I'm here all week. :mental:
Killing it. Well played sir.